Sandhu hot on comeback trail at Skate Canada Challenge | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sandhu hot on comeback trail at Skate Canada Challenge

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
True but look at the score Buttle is getting with no quad and a limited 3A. I don't think he realistically is going for world's - yet. He would need to really train and get a coach and program would help too.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hi Icey, no I don't think Buttle has said anything about coming back but that would be awesome if he did. I think Buttle and Rochette, both Canadians interesting, are a little more honest about the nerves of competing andhow really in all honesty that is the bad part - winning medals and skating nice but the pressure of winning and competing. You hear spins on how it is awesome to go head to head, compete etc. but remember there is game face and then there is the truth. Evan is a great competitior as was Witt but who knows deep down they may have been worried ie that Debi Thomas would land all her jumps or that Lambiel or Buttle or Plushy would beat Evan. We all know there is game face we see it all the time (trash talk) but deep down who knows how secure the skater is. But Buttle is a fine example of someone who's skating reall is still top notch - he still has the 3A and the amazing blade and edges.

starryxskies

On the Ice
Jeff is still eligible right? He should consider coming back for the Olympic team event. PChan will be more than happy to have someone ease the burden off of him. He'll be exhausted to skate both SP and LP and then do his individual. Canada will have a medal for sure too.

This is a good deal Jeff!! Do it!!!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Sandhu's too rusty now, the Boring Buttle would do far better than him if he competed again

noskates

Record Breaker
ITA and it isn't proper or nice but for some reason I find Reynolds look very unaesthetically pleasing and at times disturbing. He looks kind of like Pippy Longstocking whose hair went through a blender. On the other hand he might be perfect for the new Pippi longstocking story on ice.

Oh Skaterboy - you made me laugh outloud. Pippy Longstocking! So descriptive.

As for Sandhu, he was always one of those skaters with SO much promise but he never seemed to be able to string 2 skates together. Beautiful to watch on the ice and his programs were always, always interesting. I don't know if he can come back and be competitive but he'll surely liven up any competition he skates in.

rvi5

On the Ice
In this video Doris previously posted in another thread, showing a 10 year old Kevin Reynolds, the commentary states Emanuel was Kevin's idol. If I am not mistaken, didn't Emanuel retire from competition just before Kevin moved into seniors? Now they will get to compete against each other at Canadian Nationals.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bIAjpba3aRU

Last edited:

Riemann

Rinkside
Sandhu's cocky as heck, but it is what is displayed on the ice that counts, and when he was having a good day, he could be pretty impressive. That having been said, I'd prefer a Buttle comeback to this.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Buttle left the way he wanted to - having put it all together at Worlds and delivering two strong skates. As much as I'd like to see him, he's clearly happy doing shows, "professional" competitions and choreography. Sandhu was all but forced out (Skate Canada didn't even bother submitting his name for the 2007/2008 GP season despite coming in 3rd at Nationals. The skaters that came 4th, 5th and 7th all had GP events. That effectively retired him) so he's coming back for some personal closure, imo.

I quite like Rogozine and hope that he improves, btb.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Buttle should have stayed in 2 more seasons. If Evan could win 09 Worlds and 2010 Olympics without a quad a clean Buttle would have been a lock to win both events. I agree the CSA retired Sandhu in summer 2007 which IMO was a good move. He was clearly going downhill at that point. Maybe he is just coming back to leave the sport the way he wants which I am all for if that is the case. I just hope he doesnt convince himself of fantasies of things like challenging Chan or being on the podium at Worlds at this point. Having high goals which are somewhat realistic or even a bit of a strech for your are one thing (which for Sandhu might be making a World team again given Canadas weak mens field currently, or a less ambitious one maybe top 5 at Canadians), but setting completely unattainable dream like ones are sure ways to set yourself up for certain dissapointment and certain failure. Fumie Suguri is an example of one with fantasies, she cant even make it out of regionals in Japan and she is talking about making Japans Olympic team for Sochi. Less than a year before the 2010 Olympics in an interview she mentioned seeing Yu NA Kim as her main competition for the 2010 Olympic Gold.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think Buttle got out while he could - on top! I don't think he would have had the same success had he stayed in. He had the skate of his life .....best to leave it at that like so many others have. The moon was in the seventh house and all the planets were aligned!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think Buttle got out while he could - on top! I don't think he would have had the same success had he stayed in. He had the skate of his life .....best to leave it at that like so many others have. The moon was in the seventh house and all the planets were aligned!

What does Lysacek have in his skating that Jeff doesnt? Answer, absolutely nothing. Jeff for sure could have won the 2009 Worlds and 2010 Olympics had he stayed in, given the dire level of skating at both events.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I agree Jeff had far more than Buttle; he could make a fall and his pcs should have held him up easily over Evan - in fact goes in footwork and spins might have heasily made up a fall tha tmeans the pcs were gravy. But in fairness to Evan he was more of a real competitor but yes, Buttle would have had a chance for sure.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
You simply cannot argue with his long lovely lines! More power to him for trying.

Am I the only one that doesn't see the beautiful lines? in fact I didn't see any of his ballet training reflected in his skating. he could be exciting, but his strokes were a bit clumsy to me. the one skate I love from him was one I happened to watch which was when he was young, serene and calm and very expressive at the same time.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Am I the only one that doesn't see the beautiful lines? in fact I didn't see any of his ballet training reflected in his skating. he could be exciting, but his strokes were a bit clumsy to me.

I feel the same way. He has good flexibility but he doesn't seem to use it unless he's doing a spin.