Chan's "inspired" performance at GPF | Golden Skate

Chan's "inspired" performance at GPF

Icey

Record Breaker
Chan, who won the two previous Finals, was unable to repeat his success this year. Even though he earned the highest program components scores of the night for his inspired interpretation of La Boheme, the skater, who often speaks of his competitions as ongoing “learning experience”, obtained a new homework assignment in Sochi.

Article

Sorry, but I can't agree with the author that Chan's performance was inspired.

emma

Record Breaker
I thought that up until the double-lutz combo, Chan's performance was inspired - may have been one of his best up to that point ever, IMO.

ETA here I'm referring to the SP....I don't think the LP was bad; I am worried that he missed the first quad (as did Dai) and then landed the second but without a combo. But, I didn't feel the program was weak, and in many ways, I see him use his whole body in ways I didn't see as much of before (I think he began this last year, but I see it more clearly this year).

Last edited:

Bartek

On the Ice
I think that in terms of feeling the music and overall artistry this was his best performance ever, jumping mistake notwithstanding. And quite the first time that I felt his very high PCS was somehow justified. It's always been clear that he deserves those 9's for SS and T and maybe Ch/C but did he really deserve them for P/E and I for any of his Aranjuezes? I don't think so, especially when compared to Dai's suberb interpretations of Blues for Klook. Now, however, I feel that he really gets into the music, maybe owing to Kathy Johnson?. I see a significant improvement in his presentation, both in SP and FS and that combined with his out of this world edges and knee action has made me enjoy his performances for the first time.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
There is only so much room for artistic or pc improvement. Itis the technical area he needs a lot of work. I wish he would get some professional help like Orser or someone. It is interesting that orser coaches so many to skaters form other nations but not his own Canada.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
if that was what constitutes an "inspired" performance for him these days, he is in for a really rough next 15 months. Competition isnt going to get any easier.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
There is only so much room for artistic or pc improvement. Itis the technical area he needs a lot of work. I wish he would get some professional help like Orser or someone. It is interesting that orser coaches so many to skaters form other nations but not his own Canada.

Well, its the skaters who come to the coaches, not the other way around. For whatever reason, some Canadian skaters (Reynolds... Ten...) didn't reach out and take advantage of him and his team, and I read that Orser isn't taking on any more students now since he's got his hands full. He does coach some Canadian talent though. He was Phaneuf's new coach up until she retired, and he's currently coaching Nam Nguyen who's skating on the JGP. I also think its partially due to the fact that Canada doesn't have much depth in either singles discipline, so there aren't even that many top-tier, elite competitors out there.

You also have to remember that Orser isn't exactly a well-established coach. His first pupil was Yuna, and her natural talent made it hard to see what traits were attributable to him. Orser wasn't too successful with Adam Rippon, although that could likely have been because of Adam himself. Javier is really his first major 'success' on the Men's side, so you can kind of see why Patrick might've been skeptical about going to an untested coach back then.

Riemann

Rinkside
Well, its the skaters who come to the coaches, not the other way around. For whatever reason, some Canadian skaters (Reynolds... Ten...) didn't reach out and take advantage of him and his team, and I read that Orser isn't taking on any more students now since he's got his hands full. He does coach some Canadian talent though. He was Phaneuf's new coach up until she retired, and he's currently coaching Nam Nguyen who's skating on the JGP. I also think its partially due to the fact that Canada doesn't have much depth in either singles discipline, so there aren't even that many top-tier, elite competitors out there.

You also have to remember that Orser isn't exactly a well-established coach. His first pupil was Yuna, and her natural talent made it hard to see what traits were attributable to him. Orser wasn't too successful with Adam Rippon, although that could likely have been because of Adam himself. Javier is really his first major 'success' on the Men's side, so you can kind of see why Patrick might've been skeptical about going to an untested coach back then.

Hanyu will be his next success. I think he falls under the Kim category though. So insanely talented that he only needs minor tweaking and some polishing