Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Ice conditions and jumps

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,235

    Ice conditions and jumps

    Kozuka said in the article: "This ice doesn’t allow you to jump your Axels on the very edge, and you have to watch out a little bit.”

    Interesting to know.

  2. #2
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,348
    Very interesting. I suppose each ice surface is different.

    I think it was the 2004 Worlds ladies qualifying round where the ice for the early morning skaters was so bad that every skater had multiple falls. Then by the time the second group came on later in the morning it had softened and all the skaters in the second group did well.

    Also... Here is the difference between how you say things when you are 18 versus how you say the same thing at 26. Hanyu and Takahashi on Plushenko.

    Hanyu: The skater from Sendai admits that it is weird to contemplate a possibility of competing against Evgeni Plushenko.

    “I partly started skating because of Plushenko,” he explained. “I would love to skate with him, but at the same time I don’t want to skate with him. I hope that I will be strong enough to compete against him.”
    Takahashi: "Plushenko is a bit of a dark horse in this big race,” he said when asked about the 2010 Olympic Champion comeback. “It’s a bit scary. He’s going to be 31 and he’s been at the front line for a long time. He always overcomes all these barriers. I will be 27 when the Sochi Olympics come around. I’m looking forward to it if he will kindly accept me as a rival.

  3. #3
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    Kozuka said in the article: "This ice doesn’t allow you to jump your Axels on the very edge, and you have to watch out a little bit.”

    Interesting to know.
    Really? I also thought there was something wrong with the ice that many skaters made mistakes around the same corner of the rink, but I don’t know about the Axels because Daisuke, Hanyu, and Fernandez all did their 3As well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Also... Here is the difference between how you say things when you are 18 versus how you say the same thing at 26. Hanyu and Takahashi on Plushenko.
    I don’t know why you’re highlighting that particular phrase of Hanyu, since he went on to say:
    Hanyu: “I partly started skating because of Plushenko,” he explained. “I would love to skate with him, but at the same time I don’t want to skate with him. I hope that I will be strong enough to compete against him.”
    Daisuke’s “if he will kindly accept me as a rival” is more rhetorical and shows his sophistication. But if I were Plushy I would be more flattered by what Hanyu said, knowing that the current most prodigious skater partly started skating because of me and he hopes he will be strong enough to compete against me because he knows I’m really strong. I think Hanyu has repeated the same thing many times that even I know that Plushy is his idol from childhood. Hanyu’s only 18 and doesn’t know the rhetorics of grownup world, but he speaks with sincerity and innocence of his age. I’m older-about Plushy’s age-and the older I am the more I appreciate sincerity and honesty. And if the sincere prodigy admires me then I’ll be in heaven.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    394
    The story about the ice quality is a bit of a mystery. Everyone was saying on record (at least in English/Russian to international press) that it is great and so on, but then out of blue we heard second-hand reports that Japanese skaters told either Japanese press or someone else that it is awful I don't think I have seen a direct quote and/or source for this info (I am a bit out of the loop here, though, we did search for it then the news broke out but there unable to trace it, maybe someone has managed to do it since the time).

    The worst thing *I* have heard about the ice was from one of Juniors, who was in Sochi early and said that the venue staff was very attentive and they kept asking them if the ice is 'ok', if it should be done any differently and actually went ahead and changed it the next day. Some apparently thought that it would have been better if they just left the ice alone and let skaters get used to it once and for all (tournament) because the it is a part of the deal for skaters to get used to the conditions and consistently 'ok' ice is better than 'ok'-->'better'-->'good' over the course of three days


    Re. Men medallists speaking about Plushenko come back, frankly I could not help thinking that they were being polite rather than earnest in their replies. Hanyu, well, maybe I can understand a bit of trepidation, but I find it hard to believe that the likes of Chan or Takahashi find the prospect so daunting. But you never know... they could as well have their own reasons.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,235
    Can someone who knows how to skate explain what "This ice doesn’t allow you to jump your Axels on the very edge" actually meant? You cannot take off on a very deep edge because....????

  6. #6
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,693
    Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    Can someone who knows how to skate explain what "This ice doesn’t allow you to jump your Axels on the very edge" actually meant? You cannot take off on a very deep edge because....????
    I wasn't skater, so I'm curious too...

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    The story about the ice quality is a bit of a mystery. Everyone was saying on record (at least in English/Russian to international press) that it is great and so on, but then out of blue we heard second-hand reports that Japanese skaters told either Japanese press or someone else that it is awful I don't think I have seen a direct quote and/or source for this info (I am a bit out of the loop here, though, we did search for it then the news broke out but there unable to trace it, maybe someone has managed to do it since the time).
    The ice was great as everyone who arrived earlier said. Then they had a practice for opening ceremony or whatever, put the carpet and they later explained there was some kind of "air" between and the ice strated melting. Possibly, as some people assumed, that the cooling machines were put a little down. After complains they changed it back and the ice became too hard like a glass, until they fix it to normal. The whole ice story is quite a mistery and no serious or official explanations about it.

  8. #8
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    After complains they changed it back and the ice became too hard like a glass, until they fix it to normal.
    Very cold ice can be brittle, and it chips away more easily on deep edges, which can make a skater feel less secure or even lose an edge entirely, and makes some jump take offs and landings much more difficult. Figure skating ice is typically kept slightly warmer than "hockey" ice so that it feels (when skating on deep edges, like when landing jumps and on edge jump take offs) a little softer... but it's a fine line, if the ice it kept too warm it melts or won't freeze properly after a resurface, which introduces completely different problems than too cold ice has.

  9. #9
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,693
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post

    Re. Men medallists speaking about Plushenko come back, frankly I could not help thinking that they were being polite rather than earnest in their replies. Hanyu, well, maybe I can understand a bit of trepidation, but I find it hard to believe that the likes of Chan or Takahashi find the prospect so daunting. But you never know... they could as well have their own reasons.
    The Japanese people and FS fans really admire Plushy. He is the most popular non-japanese skater ever. So I'm not surprised on Dai, after OLY 2006, Daisuke Takahashi (end 8th, age-19) said on Japanese TV

    "oh, my god, there was a God,,, I felt amazing aura, he couldn't hide it" etc..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •