Thread: Miki Ando and Joannie Rochette

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Question Miki Ando and Joannie Rochette

Did they officially retire?

Joannie stopped competing since 2010 Olympics but I remember reading news about her saying how she's contemplating returning to competition for Sochi. As a Canadian, I support her!!! I'd much rather see her represent Canada vs Osmond. Joannie should try for the team event at Sochi, she'll have a good shot at the Gold afterall. And her last Olympic experience should be a happy one, y'know with everything that happened with her mother in 2010.

Miki, I heard she wanted to come back this season but couldn't get a coach?
    Although it blows my mind that she can't get a coach. JSF don't got her back? Are coaches reluctant to take on world champions?

Custom Title
    Rochette said she'd decide about next season in January. The only reason she'd come back is the team event. I suspect that she'd do the team event and withdraw from the singles if it came down to it, but I don't think she's coming back.

Ando will likely compete within Japan at a major event - Japan Open, Nationals but I don't think she'll do much beyond that. MAYBE attempt a Worlds competition at home (a la her first title.) if she's at that level.

Custom Title
    Something tells me there was more to it than Miki couldn't find a coach. I find it implausible that no decent coach would want to work with her. I suspect her heart wasn't in it because she has already achieved more in her career than many people expected. I think she knows it is highly improbable that she would win the OGM in 2014 so all the hard work she will put in won't do much to improve her already stellar competitive record.

Ditto plus one, dmd...I think you have it. I love her and wish the best for her....if she is in burn out mode, she may yet come back but look at the Japanese field she would have to skate against.
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Something tells me there was more to it than Miki couldn't find a coach. I find it implausible that no decent coach would want to work with her. I suspect her heart wasn't in it because she has already achieved more in her career than many people expected. I think she knows it is highly improbable that she would win the OGM in 2014 so all the hard work she will put in won't do much to improve her already stellar competitive record.

Custom Title
    Miki Ando should hire Fumie Suguri for a coach. She needs the money and can still be involved in skating XD