Skating & Gymnastics Spectacular show | Golden Skate

Skating & Gymnastics Spectacular show

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Skating & Gymnastics Spectacular show

Maia Shibutani's on-ice photo of Raisman (wearing hockey skates) + Wieber posing with Davis/White, Gold, Rippon, and the Shibutanis:

Photo with Abbott + most of those listed above:

BTW, as of Dec 10, both the Disson website and the local paper list Alissa Czisny and Ashley Wagner among the cast.

- The show will air on Saturday, January 19, 2013, at 4:00 p.m. ET nationally on NBC. (Check your local listings.)

ETA: Revised NBC air date:
Sunday, January 20, 2013
4:00 – 6:00 PM EST
Check your local listings!

- The live show this Saturday, Dec 15, in Jamestown, NY, is sold out.

ETA: A steady stream of additional photos is showing up on Twitter -- this gang loves social media.​

Last edited:

skatinginbc

Medalist
Skating & Gymnastics Spectacular Show--Hm, interesting. How about Skating & Wrestling Spectacular Show with Tonya Harding leading the cast? That will draw a big crowd, I bet. Or Skating & Runway Spectacular Show cohosted by Johnny Weir and Lady Gaga?

How about Figure Skating and Hockey Spectacular?

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A-CI2J4CIAAngHI.jpg:large

(posted by Deedee411 on the Alissa Czisny thread, from Charlie White's twitter. :thumbsup)

By the way, I hate to be shallow, but are Alissa, Maia Shibutani, Gracie Gold, and Meryl Davis four of the prettiest girls in town or what? (The guys in the back row, not so much. :) )

I have seen a couple of these Skating/Gymnastics shows, and I have mixed feelings. On the good side, it is nice that the gymnasts get to perform, make some money, etc. On the bad side, the actual gymnastics routines are very brief and watered down, featuring about ten seconds of actual gymnastics skills and two minutes of posing and dancing. I guess it is not reasonable to expect the gymnasts to be in Olympic shape -- just like we don't look for a lot of quads and triple-triples from the skaters in shows like this.

Good on Steve Dissen though, for keeping the faith in hard times.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Skating & Gymnastics Spectacular Show--Hm, interesting. How about Skating & Wrestling Spectacular Show with Tonya Harding leading the cast? That will draw a big crowd, I bet. Or Skating & Runway Spectacular Show cohosted by Johnny Weir and Lady Gaga?

Disson actually did a Fashion on Ice show, and it was one of the more interesting formats, because it was skaters skating in costumes designed by the designers! (in other words, all skating :) )

http://www.dissonskating.com/fashion-on-ice/

In fact, it inspired a NYC Theater on Ice show at Fashion week this fall

http://fashionista.com/2012/02/moncler-grenoble-fall-2012-fashion-on-ice/

ice coverage

Record Breaker
How about Figure Skating and Hockey Spectacular?

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A-CI2J4CIAAngHI.jpg:large

(posted by Deedee411 on the Alissa Czisny thread, from Charlie White's twitter. :thumbsup)

And White also was photographed showing a bit of his hockey skills:

http://twitter.com/DissonSkating/status/279372024739139584

LOL, the source of the tweets below might not be aware of White's extensive hockey experience. (And the photos in her two tweets seem to be identical.)

ETA:

Cross-posting from Wagner injury thread:
Ashley Wagner ‏@AshWagner2010
On my way to Jamestown for Skating and Gymnastics! #betterlatethannever
4:07 PM - 14 Dec 12

And I hope that Czisny will be skating. If she knew ahead of time that she is not ready to perform, why would she travel to Jamestown?​

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hope Alissa and Ashley are ready to skate and it isn't simply about the money but the practical side is that is a big issue with huge training bills. I think patrick Chan has skatign bills in excess fo $200,000 a year and he doesn't even have a technical coach.

I have happy memories of one skating plus ballet show, with Katharine Healy (who was both a dancer and a skater) in her ballet persona. Kurt Browning also did a program with his wife Sonia, who danced on a platform partnered with other dancers and then "skated" in Kurt's arms as well.

Here's a video (not great quality; must be off someone's non-cable TV, but thank goodness for a record of this performance) with Katherine Healy dancing and Robin Cousins skating:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53QnbQESTyk

Fie on wrestling, BC! Here in the U.S., there is one cable channel that seems to broadcast at least an hour or two of wrestling every weeknight--or at least a few times each week. I gnash my teeth every time I flicker past that channel, considering how long we skate fans have to wait for a measly two hours of international competition. I did not spend my formative years wishing I were Korean or Japanese, but believe me, the thought has crossed my mind lately. They get skating on TV and have ice shows with amazing international participants. We get bellowing men with hair extensions and satin shorts, not to mention muscles you can't even find in an anatomy textbook.

Last edited:

Icey

Record Breaker
I hope Alissa and Ashley are ready to skate and it isn't simply about the money but the practical side is that is a big issue with huge training bills. I think patrick Chan has skatign bills in excess fo $200,000 a year and he doesn't even have a technical coach.

Eddie Shipstad is his technical coach and is listed along with Johnson as his coach in his ISU biography.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Back when Krall was still coaching Chan, was Shipstad working only on Chan's jumps? Or on all things technical, along with Krall?

ForeverFish

Medalist
Was hoping Aliya Mustafina of Russia would be there.

Aliya and the Russian gymnastics team are competing at the Voronin Cup in Moscow this weekend! In any case, I was under the impression that the Skating & Gymnastics Spectacular was a purely American event.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Well, at least Ashley is skating even if she isnt jumping.....gives me hope for nats.....
As for MathMan and the four prettiest ladies, well, I have to agree, but as pretty and interesting as their faces are, they are so different....which I find interesting....not like the marketing cookie cutter blondes we see on TV at all....are we just biases?

Well, at least Ashley is skating even if she isnt jumping.....gives me hope for nats.....
As for MathMan and the four prettiest ladies, well, I have to agree, but as pretty and interesting as their faces are, they are so different....which I find interesting....not like the marketing cookie cutter blondes we see on TV at all....are we just biases?

I absolutely agree. They're not even a skating "type"--they're different heights, different builds, and certainly different faces--each one beautiful largely because of their individuality and expressiveness.

And I'd like to add a vote and a sigh for Charlie....

ETA: Looking at the photos, I see that Nastia is there! How wonderful to see her as well as the Fierce Five.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I try and look at them and not thinking of them as the skaters I know, but it is impossible...that is why I think I am biased....Maia is of course beautiful even if you dont know who she is, but knowing who she is makes her more so....re-watched Worlds 2011 Ladies long tonight....as the wind blows and the snow piles up.....that was a pretty close competition...
I absolutely agree. They're not even a skating "type"--they're different heights, different builds, and certainly different faces--each one beautiful largely because of their individuality and expressiveness.

And I'd like to add a vote and a sigh for Charlie....

ETA: Looking at the photos, I see that Nastia is there! How wonderful to see her as well as the Fierce Five.