Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kaetlyn Osmond 2013 World Champion?

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Kaetlyn Osmond 2013 World Champion?

Kaetlyn Osmond == 2013 World Champion?

Just look at her flawless programs from the challenge last week!

http://youtu.be/BA9PT6s2Gts

http://youtu.be/6xgObMFqkWU

In my mind, these are the best programs and best skating of all the senior ladies this season.

Perhaps she can pull an Oksana Baiul and win worlds at her first appearance, like Baiul did in 1993?

And don't forget , Worlds are fortuitously in Kaetlyn's home country Canada , ie , a lil home country advantage can't hurt!

Go Kaetlyn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Custom Title
    She might win if, and only if, Yuna withdraws, Mao falls upside down three times in a row, and Suzuki is unable to smile due to an acute toothache. I think a more realistic goal for Kaetlyn is top 5. Should she win the Worlds this year, the first thing coming to my mind will be corruption or bribery of the judges.

Don't get me wrong. I think Kaetlyn is good. Canada hasn't had a strong female skater of that level for many, many years.
    Last edited by skatinginbc; 12-13-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Custom Title
    One would be tempted to argue that her first spin was nowhere near perfect in her LP.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    One would be tempted to argue that her first spin was nowhere near perfect in her LP.
    Nor was her spin in her SP. There seemed to be many quality issues that will exclude her from winning the Worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    Nor was her spin in her SP. There seemed to be many quality issues that will exclude her from winning the Worlds.
    Care to list at least 3 of the said "quality issues" for us to see please?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Care to list at least 3 of the said "quality issues" for us to see please?
    Spin traveling or out of position (SP 1:29, LP 1:51, LP 4:10), landing with body leaning forward or toward one side (LP 3:05), ugly spread eagle and spiral sequence (4:29)(catching one foot and then dropping it immediately, I guess she failed one change of position. If not, it was simply ugly)……..
    You are a skating expert. Why are you asking me?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    She might win if, and only if, Yuna withdraws, Mao falls upside down three times in a row, and Suzuki is unable to smile due to an acute toothache. I think a more realistic goal for Kaetlyn is top 5. Should she win the Worlds this year, the first thing coming to my mind will be corruption or bribery of the judges.

Don't get me wrong. I think Kaetlyn is good. Canada hasn't had a strong female skater of that level for many, many years.
    No one has suggested the Kaetlyn is a World Champion material yet until the OP who started this thread. Can't say I blame to the OP however, because the ladies you mentioned except Yu Na whom we have only seen once, is anything but consistent. Suzuki has shown in 3 competitions that she will either bomb the SP or the LP. Mao is capable of nuclear melt-down at any time without warning. And yes, Suzuki has already been beaten by Osmond once, who says it can't happen again? So who is left? Wagner is injured and her prospect is uncertain. Korpi is good but technically beatable. Kostner may come back, then again, she may not. Ando, if she will compete again, we shall see, until then she is a mystery. The Russians together have not won any Gold medal on the GP Circuit and they have underperformed their hype.

To be sure, to expect Osmond to be a World Championship contender is way too premature. That said, based on the quality of the skate listed in post #1 video links, that is very impressive compared to the splashfest of ladies GPF where the Silver and Bronze medalists went on to win their respective two medals with two hard falls each and lots of errors in their free programs, which made you wonder perhaps they were competing at the JGPF instead.

Banned
    Not a chance. Top 5 maybe with a very small chance of the bronze. Kim and Asada especialy would have to land only about 1 or 2 triples to lose to her, and Wagner, Kostner, and maybe even Suzuki would need major errors to lose to her as well.

Custom Title
    While Kaetlyn has great potential I think she needs a bit more finesse. Of course what she lacks in finesse she makes up in energy. I love her vivacity.

If she gets Top ten I would be very pleased - top 5 I will be elated.
    I dont even want to think of the podium as I know that she will be off unless a more polished and experienced skater bombs.

Custom Title
    Kaetlyn is strong but I think that is pretty far fetched. I would think that she is in a great postion for a top 10, and I agree with emdee that she might make top 5 if she skates well. No matter what her tech is, she will not likely receive the PC's of the favs. I hope she does well. The girl has spirit.

Custom Title

Kaetlyn Osmond 2013 World Champion?

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Worlds are not in Canada...
    Huh????? I assume pangtongfan has been thinking Worlds is in London, England?
    Last edited by rvi5; 12-14-2012 at 02:41 PM.

I doubt it.. bronze medal at best..

Custom Title
    She will win Silver.

Custom Title
    I think it is to early to think of that, people tend to get very excited of young staters like Kaetlyn, Adelina, Gracie and expect too much of them. It doesn't make any good to K to be tweeted as a possible contender. Let her be, let her skate free of pressure and emotions because she can still do that now at her first big competition. And if she finishes in top 10 as I think she will, than the pressure will come for the next years. But this worlds, she should be free as she was in Skate Canada. But if you make too much fuss around her, she might became the new Adelina. Because the same thing happened to her. And also to Gracie. The more experienced and talented (talent grows with time, with every competition in a row) know better how to handle pressure.
    I would like to see Akiko winning. Skaters who win worlds at an early age very often settle for that and don't find the motivation to became truly artists like Akiko did. And don't get me wrong, I really like Kaetlyn and I am happy that I discovered her and I hope to see her many years from now on. I have never liked Carolina or Kiira like I like them now, never liked Miki until she won her second title (she didn't tell me anything in 2007), and... even though I am upset about her weak technique which shouldn't allow her to win so easily, I never liked Mao (especially in Vancouver, not at all) until now. It takes time to become more than just a good skater. And the lady who wins worlds has to be more than that.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Worlds are in Canada and a sixteen year old girl doesn't need even more pressure announcing her a competitor for Gold. I think she is lovely to watch but I haven't seen her much to know more. Mirai had skated a fantastic Carmen at the Olys and everyone hurried to announce her the next big thing, and the pressure at worlds caught her.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast