Kaetlyn Osmond 2013 World Champion? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Kaetlyn Osmond 2013 World Champion?

jaylee

Medalist
I totally agree. Osmond's talent is undeniable. And I enjoy her skating more than any of the wonder babies these days and find her even more impressive than the so called skating prodigies like Kim and Asada when they were the same age (mind you, I've never stepped on either of their bandwagons). They had impressive jumps, but Osmond has EVERYTHING, imo. What I'm particularly excited about her skating besides the big jumps and difficult transitions is that she seems to be able to handle any tempo of music and has a wide range of movement and expression. Of course she still needs to work on refining her elements and other little things like holding an edge steadier in her footwork and extending her moves longer but the maturity and performance quality she has displayed for someone who is barely 17 is incredible and very rare, imo, and promises many good things to come in the future. Oh, and I love her Carmen.

Osmond is super talented and her SP is just great (I'm a little lukewarm about her FS), but I have to disagree that she's more talented than Kim and Asada, who were more than "so-called prodigies"--they WERE prodigies who lived up to their talent and potential by winning just about everything on the junior level and then senior level. It's just bizarre to lift her up past the reigning Olympic gold and silver medalists, who have three World titles, six GPF titles, and fifteen (!) GP wins between them, as well as having won every competition on the junior level. Osmond never won a single competition as a junior and that's actually why she was only able to get one GP. Had she had more success on the junior level, she would have earned two GP slots this season.

If Osmond floats your boat and Asada/Kim don't, okay, but I can't agree that there's anything in her skating that is more impressive than what those two showed in their senior debuts. There is nothing that you say that she has that they didn't have either--big jumps, difficult transitions, and both of their SP and FS programs utilized distinctly different kinds of music and showcased different sides of themselves. Both Yu-Na and Mao both had extremely stunning SPs in the 2006-2007 season. Mao's FS did have good transitions at the time (she actually had brackets into the 3A at the time), and Yu-Na's FS was a real masterpiece. Yu-Na in particularly had then and has now a wide range of movement and expression. It's obvious you're not on their bandwagon, but facts are facts.

You don't win all the titles that Yu-Na and Mao did without having "everything". If Osmond wins half of what they did, that would be an amazing career. But for now, the statement that she's more impressive than they were at the same age just doesn't hold water, either in terms of skating alone or in terms of competitive success. She hasn't matched what they did in their first seasons as a senior even without taking Worlds into account (both Mao and Yu-Na won won a GP and medaled at the other in their senior debut seasons, and won the GPF.).

figuristka

Medalist
Osmond has shown alot of consistancy this year. I love how she can still perform her program , giving it so much expression while attempting so much difficulty. She is so smooth out of her jumps. I would say a top 5 finish is very possible with a good skate. She may have an outside chance at a medal this year though. I think its not expected on her though. Iam happy Canada has a good lady to cheer for.

minze

Medalist
Osmond is super talented and her SP is just great (I'm a little lukewarm about her FS), but I have to disagree that she's more talented than Kim and Asada, who were more than "so-called prodigies"--they WERE prodigies who lived up to their talent and potential by winning just about everything on the junior level and then senior level. It's just bizarre to lift her up past the reigning Olympic gold and silver medalists, who have three World titles, six GPF titles, and fifteen (!) GP wins between them, as well as having won every competition on the junior level. Osmond never won a single competition as a junior and that's actually why she was only able to get one GP. Had she had more success on the junior level, she would have earned two GP slots this season.

If Osmond floats your boat and Asada/Kim don't, okay, but I can't agree that there's anything in her skating that is more impressive than what those two showed in their senior debuts. There is nothing that you say that she has that they didn't have either--big jumps, difficult transitions, and both of their SP and FS programs utilized distinctly different kinds of music and showcased different sides of themselves. Both Yu-Na and Mao both had extremely stunning SPs in the 2006-2007 season. Mao's FS did have good transitions at the time (she actually had brackets into the 3A at the time), and Yu-Na's FS was a real masterpiece. Yu-Na in particularly had then and has now a wide range of movement and expression. It's obvious you're not on their bandwagon, but facts are facts.

You don't win all the titles that Yu-Na and Mao did without having "everything". If Osmond wins half of what they did, that would be an amazing career. But for now, the statement that she's more impressive than they were at the same age just doesn't hold water, either in terms of skating alone or in terms of competitive success. She hasn't matched what they did in their first seasons as a senior even without taking Worlds into account (both Mao and Yu-Na won won a GP and medaled at the other in their senior debut seasons, and won the GPF.).

Well said jaylee

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Okay, stats time!

Here's the list of ladies who medaled at their first Worlds since 1961:

1990 Holly Cook, USA, bronze. This would be Cook's only time at Worlds.
1991 Tonya Harding, USA, silver. Harding never medaled again at Worlds.
1991 Nancy Kerrigan, USA, bronze Kerrigan got a silver in 1992 Worlds.
1993 Oksana Baiul, UKR, gold. This would be her only Worlds.
1999 JUlia Soldatova, RUS, bronze. This would be her only Worlds.
2006 Kimmie Meissner, USA, gold. Meissner would never medal again at Worlds.
2007 Mao Asada, JPN, silver. Asada won in 2008 and 2010. But she was OTP in 2009, 2011, 2012.
2007 Yuna Kim, KOR, bronze. Kim has medaled at every Worlds she competed in -- bronze in 2008; gold in 2009; silver in 2010 and 2011

So consider this out of eight woman who won medals in their Worlds debut:

Three or 38 percent of those debut winners (Kerrigan, Asada and Kim) medaled again.
Half of them have Olympics medals. (Kerrigan, Baiul, Asada and Kim)
Only two won Olympic Gold (Baiul and Kim)

Most of the Olympic/recurring Worlds winners had respectable top 5 or top 10 debuts before winning their string of medals.

Nadia01

Final Flight
I'm not a fan of Kaetlyn, but I honestly feel like she seems happier than Mao or Yuna (when they were her age) when she's on the ice. It's not a happiness that is borne by portraying a character, but it seems more ... genuine.

Exudes happiness, this one.

I can't talk about Mao, but as for Yuna, it's not easy to be happy when you're competing with a painful back injury...

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I can't talk about Mao, but as for Yuna, it's not easy to be happy when you're competing with a painful back injury...

True, but I honestly don't think she exuded happiness throughout her programs regardless of when she was competing. (By exuding happiness, I mean that we are seeing the real Yuna's happiness; not that of some enchanting character or alluring lpersonality.)

Don't get me wrong, I do love her skating, but she tends to portray characters on the ice (yes, including Tango de Roxanne and Fever count, etc) and when she doesn't (like Piano Concerto in F; etc, etc), she seems relatively more reserved-- then again, I felt that she was still portraying a character in that program. I think the closest to "wearing her heart on her sleeve" that she came to was in her "Lark Ascending" program. Other than that ... nope.

But maybe that's her personality. She's just more of a reserved person.

Same goes for Mao, but I think Mao actually does sometimes. And that's a big sometimes.

Feel free to disagree.

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
True, but I honestly don't think she exuded happiness throughout her programs regardless of when she was competing. (By exuding happiness, I mean that we are seeing the real Yuna's happiness; not that of some enchanting character or alluring lpersonality.)

Don't get me wrong, I do love her skating, but she tends to portray characters on the ice (yes, including Tango de Roxanne and Fever count, etc) and when she doesn't (like Piano Concerto in F; etc, etc), she seems relatively more reserved-- then again, I felt that she was still portraying a character in that program. I think the closest to "wearing her heart on her sleeve" that she came to was in her "Lark Ascending" program. Other than that ... nope.

Same goes for Mao, but I think Mao actually does sometimes. And that's a big sometimes.

Feel free to disagree.

To be fair, the pressure on their shoulders were also enormous at their very young age for both Asada and Kim. Part of it is cultural, but a lot of it comes from extremely high expectations and constant media coverage in their countries. In comparison, Osmond is relatively under the radar and the expectations on her are no where as high as they were on Kim and Asada.

Nadia01

Final Flight

Feel free to disagree.

I don't disagree with the fact that Yuna is a more reserved person. She is naturally shy, and she said she was stunned at the media attention and pressure (not to mention the fact that everyone in Korea scrutinized everything she did, even if it's as minor as making a face or frowning a bit before a comp or after her program, and the enormous pressure on her from so many people around her). She even said that nothing less than a victory was good enough for people around her, and that it made her sad that people didn't think it was good if she got 2nd or 3rd.

Mao is also the same. Mao never struck me as an outgoing person. She seems shy and reserved, and she doesn't seem to like the insane pressure everyone's putting on her.

It is not easy to compete, knowing that if you're not #1, people will act like you've failed. Not many ladies compete with that kind of pressure.

prettykeys

Medalist
This girl is very, very talented. Just a natural performer. What I like is she's a very complete skater, especially for her age. Great jumps, good difficulty, excellent transitions and choreography, wonderful performance quality and speed, good overall skating. The other younger girls--Tukt, Adelina, Julia, Gracie--have a half-baked feel. There's something missing with each of them, either musicality and performance quality, or consistency with the jumps, or overall packaging. Not so with Kaetlyn. She really has it all--no serious weaknesses. So far.
Ooh, this is a very popular post, and along with Olympia and shine, I agree with it. Kaetlyn is a very captivating, all-around performer and skater; there's something very effortless about how she does it, too.

As for "more impressive for their age", I do believe that, say, Michelle Kwan, Mao Asada, YuNa Kim--in that order--were more impressive than Kaetlyn at earlier ages. But...I don't really put much stock into that evaluation. So what? Some skaters peak earlier than others, and fizzle earlier, too. Other skaters (e.g. Shizuka Arakawa) reach their full potential later into their careers, and are just as impressive.

I would definitely put Kaetlyn in my top-five-to-watch-skaters from the women.

^ Nadia - I don't think Mao is quite as shy as YuNa is. But I love the spark that bubbles from YuNa when she's around people she feels comfortable around. ^__^ She loves to laugh.

prettykeys

Medalist
I guess you didn't see YuNa's 2011 LP...that's about as close to "wearing her heart on her sleeve" as she has gotten, from what I can tell. No, it's not a simple, joyful, "happy" heart on the sleeve, but it was no character...all soul.

BTW, it's weird that you don't consider Mao to be a skater that exudes much "happy" during skating, while describing YuNa as too performer-like. Compared to Mao, who to me projects direct happiness/joy from her heart quite often, Kaetlyn is more performer/character.

To me, at least.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Okay I think Osmond has great potential but she is not a world medal or gold medallist contender - yet at least. She could grow but she still lacks some finesse, she lacks stamina at the end of her routines, she still lacks presence, her spins and body line could be better, she doesn't have the amplitude on her jumps like an Irnina, Joannie or Kostner when on. She could sneak in if the stars align up by some fluke but that would mean Suzuki, Kostner, Korpi and probably Asada all had poor skates and count on the Russians to crumble. I don't think Korpi should be a contender but she is a lucky and pretty skater. I had happened with Lepisto it could happen again

aftertherain

Record Breaker
To be fair, the pressure on their shoulders were also enormous at their very young age for both Asada and Kim. Part of it is cultural, but a lot of it comes from extremely high expectations and constant media coverage in their countries. In comparison, Osmond is relatively under the radar and the expectations on her are no where as high as they were on Kim and Asada.

[Yuna Kim] is naturally shy, and she said she was stunned at the media attention and pressure (not to mention the fact that everyone in Korea scrutinized everything she did ... and the enormous pressure on her from so many people around her).
Mao is also the same. Mao never struck me as an outgoing person. She seems shy and reserved, and she doesn't seem to like the insane pressure everyone's putting on her.

I think both wallylutz and Nadia01 make really good points. Pressure can stifle a lot of "joyous" expressions, especially when someone is stressed-- and expectations of an entire nation is on a whole 'nother level of its own. It definitely remains to be seen if Kaetlyn will succumb to it or rise to the occasion.

I guess you didn't see YuNa's 2011 LP...that's about as close to "wearing her heart on her sleeve" as she has gotten, from what I can tell. No, it's not a simple, joyful, "happy" heart on the sleeve, but it was no character...all soul.

Nope, I did. And I respectfully disagree. Well, somewhat. "Homage to Korea" was definitely a personal choice for her and it really struck a chord within her to be skating to her nation's unofficial anthem. I think the difference is that while Yuna isn't too emotive facial expression-wise, she performs with her whole body-- as in, she uses her whole body and expressive movements to interpret the music-- perhaps this is why we disagreed? Still, I can't shake the feeling that she looked a little less motivated than ideal at that competition and that takes away from the "happy" (a better term does not come to mind right now) of the program for me.

I actually think "All of Me" is as close to "wearing her heart on her sleeve" as she's gotten. She definitely looked a lot freer than I've ever seen her in a performance (exhibition or not) and there were plenty of genuine smiles to go around. Of course, one can argue that she was portraying a man, but I think that might lead into gender debate which is not my intention. Also, I haven't seen every Yuna program there is to see, so if there are anymore, please post some links and I'd be glad to watch them.

On the other hand, I hope Kaetlyn doesn't lose her emotive quality. She's still a bit juniorish, sure, and I'll withhold further judgement until we see more of her programs.

BTW, it's weird that you don't consider Mao to be a skater that exudes much "happy" during skating, while describing YuNa as too performer-like. Compared to Mao, who to me projects direct happiness/joy from her heart quite often, Kaetlyn is more performer/character.

I said "sometimes"! And I believe it to be true. Despite her light and lyrical skating, Mao often looks like she concentrates too hard on what she will do next, but I do agree that she can be a happy skater as well. When she exudes happiness (as she does at the end of most programs), it is absolutely infectious. An example would be her short program this season. (I know some people complained and said it was "too juniorish", but I thought it might be because she's wearing a ponytail instead of a bun. :confused2:)

Nadia01

Final Flight
I said "sometimes"! And I believe it to be true. Despite her light and lyrical skating, Mao often looks like she concentrates too hard on what she will do next, but I do agree that she can be a happy skater as well. When she exudes happiness (as she does at the end of most programs), it is absolutely infectious. An example would be her short program this season. (I know some people complained and said it was "too juniorish", but I thought it might be because she's wearing a ponytail instead of a bun. :confused2:)

I agree with the bolded part. That's why I don't enjoy watching Mao's competitive programs as much, but I find her exhibition to be rather enjoyable b/c she's skating w/o worrying about executing her next element well.

Of course, we can say that about every skater out there, but it seems more pronounced w/ Mao (to me at least). And that seems to be a shame since if she can transfer the joy and freedom of her exhibition to her competitive programs, I think she will do even better.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Of course, we can say that about every skater out there, but it seems more pronounced w/ Mao (to me at least). And that seems to be a shame since if she can transfer the joy and freedom of her exhibition to her competitive programs, I think she will do even better.

I think it's because since she's such a light skater (skate blades on ice are like a knife to room temperature butter), we would expect to see some emotion on her face as per the music-- like you would a beautiful ballerina on stage. But we don't because she looks like she's trying hard to remember what she's supposed to do next, mostly before she does jumps.

Sometimes!

shine

Record Breaker
You must have not seen Yuna's debut at Worlds in 2007. She had everything even then to become a Olympic champion. And this was from when she was just 16. Osmond is good but i don't think this good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bYtM0vmtkM
I have seen Kim's debut at Worlds 2007 - being a long tim fan, how could I have missed it? Sure she was very impressive, technical mastery and all. But we are talking on relative terms here. I'm not saying she was not a great skater, but performance wise I find Osmond to be on an even higher level than she was. Osmond LIVES her choreography, Kim just excuted hers as she was taught, as expected for someone her age. She excuted it very well, of course. And that certainly doesn't make her a bad skater, just not exceptional. The point I was trying to make was really just that Osmond's one of the most outstanding 16 year olds I've seen because of some of the exceptional qualities that she has. Kim and Asada happen to be the most recent golden standard for talented teens and that's why I mentioned them at all.
[
It's just bizarre to lift her up past the reigning Olympic gold and silver medalists, who have three World titles, six GPF titles, and fifteen (!) GP wins between them, as well as having won every competition on the junior level. Osmond never won a single competition as a junior and that's actually why she was only able to get one GP. Had she had more success on the junior level, she would have earned two GP slots this season.
Why is it bizzare? First of all, you obviously missed the fact that I was comparing Osmond to the current Olympic gold and silver medalists when THEY WERE 16. Secondly, being Olympic gold and silver medalists doesn't mean their skating is on some saintly level that no one shall be compared to, and it certainly doesn't mean they do EVERYTHING better than EVERYONE else. Who's talking about results at all? I'm excited about Osmond because of what I see in her skating NOW, not because of what medals she has won, so why do you need to state the obvious?
As for "more impressive for their age", I do believe that, say, Michelle Kwan, Mao Asada, YuNa Kim--in that order--were more impressive than Kaetlyn at earlier ages. But...I don't really put much stock into that evaluation. So what? Some skaters peak earlier than others, and fizzle earlier, too. Other skaters (e.g. Shizuka Arakawa) reach their full potential later into their careers, and are just as impressive.

That is true, compared to a lot of the so called prodigies, Osmond is a later bloomer jump-wise and therefore didn't have very impressive junior results. I also agree that skaters have different growth curves and each team has different strategies. I rarely get excited about wonder babies lading all kinds of 3-3's, because 1) that's not what excites me about figure skating 2) even if they can do them now, there's never a guarantee that they can do it later. But I'm always impressed when I see a young skater having performance quality and the ability to do transitions that are beyond their age (which is even rarer than having kids whipping out a bunch of 3-3's imo) because these are the things that will last and they promise a further artistic growth trajectory. And I get excited about that.

I see I've effectively turned this into another "No, you must see Yuna Kim skate to this and this, she really was so great" thread. It's unfortunate. 1) This is a thread mainly about Osmond, 2) We KNOW what Yuna's skating is like.

Last edited:

Nadia01

Final Flight
Why is it bizzare? First of all, you obviously missed the fact that I was comparing Osmond to the current Olympic gold and silver medalists when THEY WERE 16. Secondly, being Olympic gold and silver medalists doesn't mean their skating is at some saintly level that no one shall be compared to, and it certainly doesn't mean they do EVERYTHING better than EVERYONE else. Who's talking about results at all? I'm excited about Osmond because of what I see in her skating NOW, not because of what medals she has won, so why do you need to state the obvious?

I'm not jaylee, but I think Mao and Yuna were both far superior in their technique and execution than Osmond even when they were 16-17.

Mao and Yuna won everything there is to win as juniors, which Osmond didn't manage to do.

We can twist things around around and claim that maybe politicking helped Mao and Yuna (which is dubious for the latter, but whatever). Osmond, as she is from Canada, did not suffer from not having a strong federation behind her as a junior skater.

So comparing Mao, Yuna and Osmond at 16, the first two accomplished far more than Osmond as competitors. And Mao was an excellent jumper when she was a junior-level skater. Even Yuna said that Mao's lightness and seemingly effortless jumps were very impressive when recalling their junior years.

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
If by "far superior in their technique and execution than Osmond" you mean they had harder jump content, I'm not disputing that. WHY would I, or you, be arguing about the obvoius? If you mean something else, you need to back up your claim with a good argument. Go read my post again. WHERE do you see me twisting things around?

Last edited:

Nadia01

Final Flight
If by "far superior in their technique and execution than Osmond" you mean they had harder jump content, I'm not disputing that. WHY would I be arguing about the obvoius? If you mean something else, you need to back up your claim with a good argument. Go read my post again. WHERE do you see me twisting things around?

Harder jumps, good spins, speed and presentation.

Why? You think they just hand out Jr Worlds Medals to anybody who shows up for the comp?

You are the one who keeps insisting that Osmond "lives her choreography". I don't see that at all. I think Yuna and Mao lived their choreography when they were 16-17, while Osmond is just being young and happy but somewhat juniorish. I'd love to have Osmond prove me wrong by doing programs that are vastly different in tone and mood than this season's, to show that she's capable of a wider range than just a bubbly new kid.

Until that happens, it's premature to call Osmond vastly superior to Yuna and Mao artistically.