Kaetlyn Osmond 2013 World Champion? | Golden Skate

Kaetlyn Osmond 2013 World Champion?

Taan

On the Ice
Kaetlyn Osmond == 2013 World Champion? :confused:

Just look at her flawless programs from the challenge last week! :eek:

http://youtu.be/BA9PT6s2Gts

http://youtu.be/6xgObMFqkWU

In my mind, these are the best programs and best skating of all the senior ladies this season. :think:

Perhaps she can pull an Oksana Baiul and win worlds at her first appearance, like Baiul did in 1993?

And don't forget , Worlds are fortuitously in Kaetlyn's home country Canada , ie , a lil home country advantage can't hurt!

Go Kaetlyn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skatinginbc

Medalist
She might win if, and only if, Yuna withdraws, Mao falls upside down three times in a row, and Suzuki is unable to smile due to an acute toothache. I think a more realistic goal for Kaetlyn is top 5. Should she win the Worlds this year, the first thing coming to my mind will be corruption or bribery of the judges. :biggrin:

Don't get me wrong. I think Kaetlyn is good. Canada hasn't had a strong female skater of that level for many, many years.

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
She might win if, and only if, Yuna withdraws, Mao falls upside down three times in a row, and Suzuki is unable to smile due to an acute toothache. I think a more realistic goal for Kaetlyn is top 5. Should she win the Worlds this year, the first thing coming to my mind will be corruption or bribery of the judges. :biggrin:

Don't get me wrong. I think Kaetlyn is good. Canada hasn't had a strong female skater of that level for many, many years.

No one has suggested the Kaetlyn is a World Champion material yet until the OP who started this thread. Can't say I blame to the OP however, because the ladies you mentioned except Yu Na whom we have only seen once, is anything but consistent. Suzuki has shown in 3 competitions that she will either bomb the SP or the LP. Mao is capable of nuclear melt-down at any time without warning. And yes, Suzuki has already been beaten by Osmond once, who says it can't happen again? So who is left? Wagner is injured and her prospect is uncertain. Korpi is good but technically beatable. Kostner may come back, then again, she may not. Ando, if she will compete again, we shall see, until then she is a mystery. The Russians together have not won any Gold medal on the GP Circuit and they have underperformed their hype.

To be sure, to expect Osmond to be a World Championship contender is way too premature. That said, based on the quality of the skate listed in post #1 video links, that is very impressive compared to the splashfest of ladies GPF where the Silver and Bronze medalists went on to win their respective two medals with two hard falls each and lots of errors in their free programs, which made you wonder perhaps they were competing at the JGPF instead.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Not a chance. Top 5 maybe with a very small chance of the bronze. Kim and Asada especialy would have to land only about 1 or 2 triples to lose to her, and Wagner, Kostner, and maybe even Suzuki would need major errors to lose to her as well.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Care to list at least 3 of the said "quality issues" for us to see please?
Spin traveling or out of position (SP 1:29, LP 1:51, LP 4:10), landing with body leaning forward or toward one side (LP 3:05), ugly spread eagle and spiral sequence (4:29)(catching one foot and then dropping it immediately, I guess she failed one change of position. If not, it was simply ugly)……..
You are a skating expert. Why are you asking me? :think:

emdee

Final Flight
While Kaetlyn has great potential I think she needs a bit more finesse. Of course what she lacks in finesse she makes up in energy. I love her vivacity.

If she gets Top ten I would be very pleased - top 5 I will be elated.
I dont even want to think of the podium as I know that she will be off unless a more polished and experienced skater bombs.

Ravensque

On the Ice
Kaetlyn is strong but I think that is pretty far fetched. I would think that she is in a great postion for a top 10, and I agree with emdee that she might make top 5 if she skates well. No matter what her tech is, she will not likely receive the PC's of the favs. I hope she does well. The girl has spirit.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
To answer the question -- I don't think so. I agree with others that top 5 would be great.

That said...Yu-na Kim was first after the SP in her first Worlds....

jaylee

Medalist
Kaetlyn is super talented. Her skating skills stood out to me when she was a junior, and I'm delighted to see her step up her game. But you need more than talent to win Worlds in your debut appearance...you'd also need luck, momentum...and more luck. :)

Kaetlyn doesn't have any deficiencies that would prevent her from becoming a world champion, but she does have areas where she can improve and get more points. She could use a harder triple/triple combination in the SP *and* the FS (where she opts for the 2A/3T). She doesn't have a triple loop, which is not an insurmountable obstacle, but that does mean her other jumps need to be rock solid. In her case, rotating her jumps isn't the problem, just got to make sure she's taking off on the right edge for both the lutz and flip. I assume that if she was more comfortable with her lutz she'd be attempting it in the SP. She could also repeat a triple other than the 3T in the FS. I think her spins are fine (illusion into the layback is cool); just because she was off a little on her spins for one competition doesn't mean they'll be a problem in the future.

Top 5 is very doable with good performances at Worlds, and I could mayyyybe see a bronze medal if a bunch of ladies meltdown (which could happen).

Dragonlady

Final Flight
While I agree that if Kaetlyn had made the GPF and skated like she did at the Challenge, she would have had a medal of some colour, but probably not gold. However, the Challenge is a no-pressure event for Osmond. She didn't have to compete at all. She's got her ticket to Canadians by virtue of her bronze medal last year, so this was a free-roll for her. It's a whole lot easier to skate well with nothing on the line.

I'm pleased to see Osmond competing every change she gets and winning when she does. She needs the experience. But what's more impressive is the work she did in the off-season to improve so much. I love it when talented kids are prepared to work hard and do whatever it takes to get there.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
no, if she will win that will scream corruption to the biggest proportions
besides that will never happen when Yuna will compete, and unless Akiko, Ashley, Mao and Carolina has a meltdown
realstic placement for her is top 6-8 position if she skated lights out, no way will she recieve those same inflated pcs
with Mao, Yuna around

Dragonlady

Final Flight
First off, Kaetlyn's PCS was not inflated at Skate Canada and she deserved the gold medal there. Aikiko quite rightly won the LP, but her short was weak. Carolina hasn't competed all season and quite frankly, I will be very surprised if she competes at all. I don't expect her to win Worlds, but I'm not dismissing her chances out of hand.

jiggs

On the Ice
Carolina hasn't competed all season and quite frankly, I will be very surprised if she competes at all.

Carolina has officially comfirmed that she will compete at Golden Spin this weekend as well as Italian Nationals next weekend. Those two competitions will be her preparation for Europeans and Worlds.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think it is farfetched for Ms. Osmond to win world gold she should be thrilled if she makes top ten. Outside chance at top 5. However, I don`t think it has been a long long long time since Canada has had a top notch lady. I consider Joannie Rochette just over 2 years ago as a top notch skater - maybe a little underrated now that I see her programs and thet ransitions. Yes Osmond needs some work on refining her skills, a little more oomph and finesse and stronger spins and musicality but she has done very well. She is getting fairly consistent but she does need some bigger triples.

Kinga

Medalist
I think she is really brilliant, a strong candidate for the 'next big thing' in figure skating. Her radiant smile 'enhances' all her skills. Her jumps are big, powerful, fully rotated. She still needs to work on her spins and positions, but I adore her and cannot wait for her progress.

World Champion this year?? Probably not, but if she skates like that, she will have chance to medal. A young, radiant personality, when skating the lights out at big competitions are prone to receive high PCS.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Kaetlyn's PCS was not inflated at Skate Canada and she deserved the gold medal there.
Though her PCS was not inflated at SC, she will have a hard time to break 30 (SP) and 60 (LP) thresholds, the scores that a worthy (not just lucky) gold medal contender is supposed to routinely achieve. I'm no expert, but this is my impression: Even when Mao or Yuna falls or messes up on an element, their in-between skating is so smooth like silk, effortless like feather, clear like miracle spring water....Kaetlyn's skating didn't translate that kind of feeling. It was somewhat (just so slightly) murky, blurry, heavy, lacking clarity or sureness. I don't know how to describe. To me, it is just not the same level of quality yet. I agree there is a chance she might win a medal, but if she wins the gold....Ugh....that will be a disappointing competition.

Ravensque

On the Ice
First off, Kaetlyn's PCS was not inflated at Skate Canada and she deserved the gold medal there. Aikiko quite rightly won the LP, but her short was weak. Carolina hasn't competed all season and quite frankly, I will be very surprised if she competes at all. I don't expect her to win Worlds, but I'm not dismissing her chances out of hand.

She did deserve her PC's, but I expect they may not be quite so high at Worlds due to things beyond our control :)