Kaetlyn Osmond 2013 World Champion? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kaetlyn Osmond 2013 World Champion?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
First off, Kaetlyn's PCS was not inflated at Skate Canada and she deserved the gold medal there.

:disapp:, since when does a new skater recieve a PCS as high as 28's, I think her inflated PCS will continue since it will be in Canada
but wont be that high anymore since Yuna, Mao , Carolina will be competing

Last edited:

skatinginbc

Medalist
Another thing about Kaetlyn's skating is that nothing really stands out--good enough, but not outstanding. She completed a lot of jumps but none of them has a wow effect like Oda's (soft knee), Yuna's (distance), Plueshenko's (height) and so on. Her busy pawing arms, though surely deserving credits for her effort, reminded me of a cat fight. Any move that involved a catch foot was done awkwardly (Perhaps her weakness in extension?). Her footwork, regardless of the difficulty level she achieved, made me feel like wanting to oil her blades or smooth the ice for her. I think Kaetlyn is talented and has lots of potentials. But if she pulls a Kimmie Meissner at this World Championship, I'm afraid it will dramatically cut short her skating career. Winning is not necessarily a blessing for one who is not ready.

ForeverFish

Medalist
She'll be world champion if and only if Yuna, Wagner, Mao, Kostner, Suzuki, and Leonova fall on every single triple. Honestly, with the projected field for 2013 Worlds, Osmond may not even make the top 5. I think top 10 is a much more realistic goal for her.

Harsh, I know, but she is far from the level of the top senior ladies.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Worlds are not in Canada and Asada, Kim, Wagner, and Kostner are all MUCH stronger contenders for Worlds than Suzuki is.

fairly4

Medalist
The title for Kaetyln is a stretch. With Yu-na possible , maybe caroline kosnter, and maybe Miki Ando.

However i can see kaetlyn in the top 6 .

if the above go to worlds. i can see it

1) yu-na kim
2-4)-mao, ashley, caroline kostner

5-6) tied between kaetlyn and a russian lady. adelina, elizaveta, alena,

depends on who goes to worlds and who don't. who wins what at their championships.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Osmond sort of reminds of Meissner, Wagner, Flatt - perfectly good skaters but not special. Unlike Wagner she has not had time to mature or get experience but in two years she could be like Wagner - she certainly is Canada's best or only hope right now to secure two oly spots.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
If Suzuki skated her short program as planned at SC. She would have received a score around 60. She lost 4.2 BV on the DG toe loop and 1.6 on the lutz jump. I still think Kaetlyn Osmond's PCS boost was a bit excessive between the SP and the FS. Gracie Gold did not get that much of a boost between the two programs at COR and she was first after the SP as well.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Her score at Skate Canada was something like 176, wasn't it? That is far below what the top ladies are capable of, even if they make mistakes. Kim, Asada, Wagner, Liza Tuk, Suzuki, Kostner (if she skates), Kiira Korpi are all likely to end up ahead of her. Akiko was only about a point behind at SC after making several mistakes.

IleK

On the Ice
I think it is to early to think of that, people tend to get very excited of young staters like Kaetlyn, Adelina, Gracie and expect too much of them. It doesn't make any good to K to be tweeted as a possible contender. Let her be, let her skate free of pressure and emotions because she can still do that now at her first big competition. And if she finishes in top 10 as I think she will, than the pressure will come for the next years. But this worlds, she should be free as she was in Skate Canada. But if you make too much fuss around her, she might became the new Adelina. Because the same thing happened to her. And also to Gracie. The more experienced and talented (talent grows with time, with every competition in a row) know better how to handle pressure.
I would like to see Akiko winning. Skaters who win worlds at an early age very often settle for that and don't find the motivation to became truly artists like Akiko did. And don't get me wrong, I really like Kaetlyn and I am happy that I discovered her and I hope to see her many years from now on. I have never liked Carolina or Kiira like I like them now, never liked Miki until she won her second title (she didn't tell me anything in 2007), and... even though I am upset about her weak technique which shouldn't allow her to win so easily, I never liked Mao (especially in Vancouver, not at all) until now. It takes time to become more than just a good skater. And the lady who wins worlds has to be more than that.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Worlds are in Canada and a sixteen year old girl doesn't need even more pressure announcing her a competitor for Gold. I think she is lovely to watch but I haven't seen her much to know more. Mirai had skated a fantastic Carmen at the Olys and everyone hurried to announce her the next big thing, and the pressure at worlds caught her.

hohoho

On the Ice
Will be interesting. With Osmonds successes so far this year if something happens at nationals and she does not win, will Skate Canada have a "skate-off" at 4CC like last year or will the National champion go. You notice I didn't mention Lacoste as National champion as I think the top 4 or 5 from challenge could beat Lacoste. And Osmond is still the only one qualified for Worlds. Will be an interesting Nationals!!