Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 166

Thread: Kaetlyn Osmond 2013 World Champion?

  1. #151
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    *Canada*
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    She's got her work cut out for her.

    Kaetlyn has done well this year but like someone said, she has yet to face the big name/medal favorites. Skating on the same ice as Kim, Kostner, Asada and Wagner will not be the same as going against the field at Skate Canada (where her only real competition was Suzuki) or the names she beat at Nebelhorn, Challenge or nationals. Worlds is a much bigger and tougher stage to deliver on and a lot will be on the line...
    Is there any word if any of these ladies will be at 4CC (minus Kostner, obviously)? It would be a great warm-up/test to see how Kaetlyn stacks up against them and also give her a taste of the pressure on her to compare well to them.

    I love Kaetlyn's skating and think she has a bright future ahead of her but am not predicting her to beat the best in the world just yet. It took Rochette quite a long time to get to the top. I think it will take Osmond less and she may even be a dark horse for Sochi but don't see her reaching the top until after the next Olympics.

  2. #152
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Fruit Loops View Post
    Is there any word if any of these ladies will be at 4CC (minus Kostner, obviously)? It would be a great warm-up/test to see how Kaetlyn stacks up against them and also give her a taste of the pressure on her to compare well to them.

    I love Kaetlyn's skating and think she has a bright future ahead of her but am not predicting her to beat the best in the world just yet. It took Rochette quite a long time to get to the top. I think it will take Osmond less and she may even be a dark horse for Sochi but don't see her reaching the top until after the next Olympics.
    I believe Kim has already ruled out 4CC; Asada has been named to the team. The USA has yet to name a team (will be done post Nationals).

  3. #153
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    219
    good video+good article
    http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/figure-sk...ents-1.1125541

    Her coach, Ravi Walia calls her unique.

    “I’ve never taught someone like [her],” Walia said. “She’s so driven, and she loves the excitement of competition.”

    The last Edmonton-based skater to win the same title, Susan Humphreys, met Osmond Tuesday, and said the blossoming athlete is the total package.

    “She can jump, she can spin, she has charisma, she’s very comfortable competing,” Humphreys said. “Those are the things that create those golden moments.”

    Osmond’s next major competition is the World Figure Skating Championships in London, ON, in March.

    It’s a stage Osmond is looking forward to making her mark on.

  4. #154
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    219
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...349/story.html
    According to Vipond, there’s still work to be done on the programs.
    “I’m always very picky with my work, right now I’m getting down to the nitty gritty, it’s the finest of details,” he said.

    Walia is the only championship level ISU technical specialist in Canada. Over the years, he has used his knowledge to help Osmond boost “the base values” in her program and get “the quality marks that are so important.”

  5. #155
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,295
    If Kim is serious about winning Worlds she needs to go to 4CC. So far she's had no competition at all this season when she's skated.

  6. #156
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Taan View Post
    Well I think a good reason to be excited is Kaetlyn is undefeated since turning senior, winning every senior competition she has entered.

    1st victory Nebelhorn,
    2nd victory Skate Canada,
    3rd victory Challenge,
    4th victory Nationals.

    Can she keep her undefeated streak going?

    If she keeps her undefeated streak going and she can win 4cc , she will undoubtedly be the favorite to win gold at worlds, people.

    GO KAETLYN GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I believe Kaetlyn did not win her first competition of the year which was the The U.S. International Figure Skating Classic. Both Agnes and Gracie beat her.

  7. #157
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I believe Kaetlyn did not win her first competition of the year which was the The U.S. International Figure Skating Classic. Both Agnes and Gracie beat her.
    Kaetlyn was not at the US Classic, Amelie was ( who got bronze behind Agnes and Gracie). She was at Nebelhorn, which she won.

    But if we're going to get nitpicky, she didn't win Skate Detroit. She was third behind Hannah Miller and Gracie. I guess one could argue it was an "off season competition." But technically if you include that competition, she hasn't won every senior competition then. But still 4 out of 5 is pretty good!

  8. #158
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,432
    Three of Kaetlyn's four victories were on Canadian ice, and two were all-Canadian competitions. She hasn't faced full top-level competition yet and won't at 4CC (only top US and Japanese there, with Kim out). It's much too soon to predict a coronation.

  9. #159
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,515
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Three of Kaetlyn's four victories were on Canadian ice, and two were all-Canadian competitions. She hasn't faced full top-level competition yet and won't at 4CC (only top US and Japanese there, with Kim out). It's much too soon to predict a coronation.
    The bigger issue is that she hasn't gotten the scores internationally that would put her on the world podium. A 116 LP (from SC) won't get the job done. While that score includes a fall, there are at least 10 skaters who can match that score without having to be totally clean.

  10. #160
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,152
    Miss Daisy, do I have your list right?
    Wagner, Asada, Suzuki, Kim, Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova, Gold, Murakami, Nagasu, Kostner, Korpi (assuming it's Nagasu or Gold)

  11. #161
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,515
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Miss Daisy, do I have your list right?
    Wagner, Asada, Suzuki, Kim, Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova, Gold, Murakami, Nagasu, Kostner, Korpi (assuming it's Nagasu or Gold)
    Yes, those are skaters who can score at or above ~115 and typically don't perform totally clean (no falls, URs, or pops) long programs. Kaetlyn can beat a lot of those women but to say she has a reasonable shot of beating ALL of them THIS year is something I can't see happening.

  12. #162
    Ya'll just need to ignore it. aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    If Yuna skates well, she can go first and it wouldn't matter. Shen/Zhao skated first in the SP in Vancouver and still won the SP.
    With a world record score to boot!

  13. #163
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    If Kim is serious about winning Worlds she needs to go to 4CC. So far she's had no competition at all this season when she's skated.
    That does not mean she faced no pressure. She had to meet the minimum TES qualification for Worlds which are actually extremely highly. Only one big mistake in the SP and she would have been forced to try again at another competition after NRW Trophy. She had to make very few mistakes in her season debut after two years in order to meet the minimum scores. At Korean nationals she had thousands of enthusiastic fans with high expectations, and this nationals is her last in Korea. Furthermore, these two being her comeback competitions after two years away, she faced the challenge of having to prove that she still had her skills and her jumps. In both competitions she got nervous and made errors, but was able to skate a clean SP (at NRW) and a clean LP (at Korean nationals). Besides, she can't shirk on her Special Olympics obligation and kick out a fellow Korean skater who was already named to the 4CC team.

  14. #164
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    That does not mean she faced no pressure. She had to meet the minimum TES qualification for Worlds which are actually extremely highly. Only one big mistake in the SP and she would have been forced to try again at another competition after NRW Trophy. She had to make very few mistakes in her season debut after two years in order to meet the minimum scores. At Korean nationals she had thousands of enthusiastic fans with high expectations, and this nationals is her last in Korea. Furthermore, these two being her comeback competitions after two years away, she faced the challenge of having to prove that she still had her skills and her jumps. In both competitions she got nervous and made errors, but was able to skate a clean SP (at NRW) and a clean LP (at Korean nationals). Besides, she can't shirk on her Special Olympics obligation and kick out a fellow Korean skater who was already named to the 4CC team.
    Why wouldn't she skate at the 2014 Korean Nationals given that she lives there now?

  15. #165
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,535
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Why wouldn't she skate at the 2014 Korean Nationals given that she lives there now?
    Unless she bombs at Worlds this year, she's going to skip Korean Nationals next year, just like she did in her senior years 2007 to 2011 when she medalled every year at Worlds. Furthermore, her management has already stated she will participate in the Grand Prix series this year leading up to the Olympics. However, Korean Nationals and 4CC are very close to the Olympics so she may skip them altogether as she did before Vancouver in order to allow maximum time to focus on the Olympics.

    Also, there's no guarantee she'll continue to live in Korea after Worlds. She planned her training in Korea for this season, but in her recent interviews she explicitly acknowledged she may need to move and train abroad next season with a foreign coach. (We won't know the exact details until after Worlds.)

    So far, the only competitions we know she's got since her break are:

    • NRW Trophy
    • Korean Nationals
    • World Championships
    • Grand Prix 1
    • Grand Prix 2
    • Grand Prix Final
    • Sochi Winter Olympics


    No other competitions have been announced by her management team, though of course they can change their mind.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •