Kaetlyn Osmond 2013 World Champion? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Kaetlyn Osmond 2013 World Champion?

skatinginbc

Medalist
What if Osmond competes at the World Junior Championship instead? Will she be able to beat Elena Radionova? Can a skater compete at both Junior and Senior Worlds?

starryxskies

On the Ice
What if Osmond competes at the World Junior Championship instead? Will she be able to beat Elena Radionova? Can a skater compete at both Junior and Senior Worlds?

Yeah didn't Denis Ten compete in both a couple years ago?

Just did a wiki check and actually, he did both in 2012 too. So he's competed in both quite a number of times.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yeah didn't Denis Ten compete in both a couple years ago?

Just did a wiki check and actually, he did both in 2012 too. So he's competed in both quite a number of times.

I thought the rules changed and if you skated in a senior GP event it was game over for juniors.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The new rules re Junior/Senior don't go into effect until after the Olympics.

skatinginbc

Medalist
So the thread title "Kaetlyn Osmond 2013 World Champion" may very well come true :)biggrin:). If she becomes 2013 Junior champion + 2013 Senior bronze medalist, that surely would give her a great momentum into the Olympic year--a strong contender for an Olympic medal.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Okay, I suppose it is a possibility but so world peace and South Korea and North Korea becoming friends. It's a possibility but unlikely. 4 great programs; a newbie in seniors with little exposure or name recognition and so so skating skills. Probably not. I would give it the same chance that Joannie Rochette will return and that's not good.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One thing that will hinder Osmond at Worlds is start order. Right now, she is #48 on ISU World Standings. That would keep her out of the last two groups to skate for the SP. Yes, she would pick up points at 4CC, but the top ladies will pick up points at Euros/4CC also, still keeping her out of the elite group.

Maybe starting order wasn't a detriment at SC in a 10-skater field, but it's recognized that judges tend to give much higher PCS scores to ladies in the last two groups to skate the SP at Worlds. So if she gets 60 in the SP, the top ladies may get anywhere from 62-78. It will be harder for her to medal if she's not in the last group to skate in the FS.

Icey

Record Breaker
chuckm, do they use world standings or seasons world rankings for start order? If the later, she is ranked 17th.

skatinginbc

Medalist
One thing that will hinder Osmond at Worlds is start order....
That may be cancelled out to a degree by the home field advantage and the Canadian lobbying power (better approach in promoting their skaters to the international judges, not necessarily involving backroom deals) if it exists as many have claimed.

Will winning a junior title (assuming she will attend and win) make a significant difference in her start order at Worlds?

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They use WORLD RANKINGS only. The ISU created Seasons World Standings when they awarded bonus $ for the top skaters, but they don't use it for anything any more.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That may be cancelled out to a degree by the home field advantage and, if it exists as many have claimed, the Canadian lobbying power (better approach in promoting their skaters to the international judges, not necessarily involving backroom deals).

Maybe it was cancelled out at Skate Canada International, where there were only 10 skaters. But I don't see home ice as that much of an advantage at Worlds among 25-30 skaters, especially since Canada won't have a judge in the Ladies event. Judges will be from BUL, DEN, EST, FIN, GEO, GER, GBR, JPN, ROU, RSA, ESP, SUI and TUR. That will tend to raise the PCS scores for the European skaters (Kostner, Korpi, and the Russians).

Ravensque

On the Ice
Well that kind of closes the door for her this year. I can't see her getting the marks she deserves with that judging panel.........It's probably going to be a shut-out in reality.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Osmond won't get the kind of marks she got at the Challenge, that's for sure. But I don't see that the judging panel is a problem, except for the absence of any NA judge. There isn't a bunch of former SSRs as there is for the Dance (AZE, LTU, RUS, UKR, UZB) and there aren't three or more Asian judges.

Wagner probably isn't going to make the podium either---top 5 might be the ceiling for her.

IMO, the podium will likely be (in any order) Kostner, Yu-Na Kim, Asada; Korpi, Suzuki, Wagner, a Russian lady and Osmond will jockey for placements in the top 10.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Osmond won't get the kind of marks she got at the Challenge, that's for sure. But I don't see that the judging panel is a problem, except for the absence of any NA judge. There isn't a bunch of former SSRs as there is for the Dance (AZE, LTU, RUS, UKR, UZB) and there aren't three or more Asian judges.

Wagner probably isn't going to make the podium either---top 5 might be the ceiling for her.

IMO, the podium will likely be (in any order) Kostner, Yu-Na Kim, Asada; Korpi, Suzuki, Wagner, a Russian lady and Osmond will jockey for placements in the top 10.

I had thought earlier in the season the reigning World junior Champion Lipnitskaya would have a strong chance at a World medal, but she seems to not be dealing with the pressure of Senior competition well, and many of her flaws which didnt matter that much at the junior level she is really being docked for by Senior judges. Such a shame. I hope she doesnt get discouraged and retire, the poor thing. She must be heartbroken.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Rachel placed in the top 5 against a similar field, and I think Ashley is far better. A clean Ashley can beat shaky skates from any of your top 3, and we know Caro and Mao can be hit or miss. YuNa we really don't know how she will do, but she can also open the door for Ashley with errors. Two strong skates from Ashley will beat anyone outside of those 3, regardless of how they skate. Obviously a lot depends on how well Ashley performs but I think a podium finish, rater than top 5, would be a true ceiling.

skatinginbc

Medalist
That's another reason I think Osmond should go to Junior Worlds--Her only chance to be a "world" champion in 2013 (which will significantly improve her international recognition and pave the way for the Olympics) and perhaps her best chance ever to beat Elena Radionova, who in my mind has the wow factor like the young Asada or Yuna Kim that Osmond lacks. No Canadian lady has ever won Junior Worlds since Carolyn Skoczen in 1977. It is a proud title within her reach. Why not go grab it before that cute Russian Elena grows to be a formidable threat?

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I had thought earlier in the season the reigning World junior Champion Lipnitskaya would have a strong chance at a World medal, but she seems to not be dealing with the pressure of Senior competition well, and many of her flaws which didnt matter that much at the junior level she is really being docked for by Senior judges. Such a shame. I hope she doesnt get discouraged and retire, the poor thing. She must be heartbroken.

She wasn't age eligible this year anyway.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At JW, Osmond would be facing both Lipnitskaia (not eligible for Worlds) and Radionova, so it's not a forgone conclusion that Osmond would win gold. Lipnitskaia may not have been thrilled with her GP results, but Julia did score higher at CoC and TEB than Kaetlyn did at SC. JW Ladies judges: AUT, BUL, CRO, FIN, GEO, GRE, NED, ROU, SRB, SVK, SLO.

Gold is not guaranteed for her at 4CC, either. 4CC is in Japan this year, and the Ladies panel includes judges from CHN, TPE, JPN and KOR.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Let's stick to the topic of the thread and the topic of skating - not insulting groups of people/posters. Thanks.

Icey

Record Breaker
They use WORLD RANKINGS only. The ISU created Seasons World Standings when they awarded bonus $ for the top skaters, but they don't use it for anything any more.

Strangely, I guess, it is World STANDINGS and Season World Rankings.:confused: