Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Kaetlyn Osmond 2013 World Champion?

Remember that her inflated score is still lower than what both Yu-Na and Carolina received at their Nationals!! (both well above 140)

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    It was posted that her pcs would be lower than Yuna mao and kostner but that's it. Those are the only three people that her pcs would be lower than potentially! She will obviously be 4th. But probably not in their near 70 area just like 60+. One Of them would have to get maybe below 40 on tech? Or 50? To medal. But maybe she will get near 70 pcs too. She is he mist promising young skatEr in the world right now.
    Her PCS will be lower than Wagner and Adelina potentially, not just Yuna, Mao, and Kostner. Also Suzuki, potentially, though I know she beat her before. It could still happen. Korpi too if she is well.

I think, generally, both sides of the Kaetlyn debate are way overboard. To say there are only three skaters who can potentially beat her on PCS is ridiculous- at least the 7 skaters I mention can beat her on PCS. On the other hand, to say she has no chance of a top 5 or even top 3 finish is also ridiculous. Especially if she is clean, of course she does.

Custom Title
    Just watched Kaetlyn's long program at Skate Canada. Yes . . . she could medal at Worlds. I could see that happening, easily. If Mao has a meltdown or lots of URs; if Carolina has a subpar performance (very possible after so much time off); if Akiko again doubles lots of jumps; if Ashley's not fully recovered; if Yuna isn't at her best . . . A lot of ifs, I know, but all this [I]could[I] easily happen.

This girl is very, very talented. Just a natural performer. What I like is she's a very complete skater, especially for her age. Great jumps, good difficulty, excellent transitions and choreography, wonderful performance quality and speed, good overall skating. The other younger girls--Tukt, Adelina, Julia, Gracie--have a half-baked feel. There's something missing with each of them, either musicality and performance quality, or consistency with the jumps, or overall packaging. Not so with Kaetlyn. She really has it all--no serious weaknesses. So far.

Custom Title
    I agree with your evaluation, Eyria. I just watched her short program, and she has such sparkle. She displays a great deal of spontaneity, not that programmed quality that so many very young skaters have. How old is she? She's very impressive.

She certainly has a chance to do well at Worlds, if she retains her self-assurance. As for how high in the rankings she'll end up, a lot depends on how well everyone else does. But if she stays on her feet, she's sure going to make Canada look good.
    Last edited by Olympia; 01-20-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I agree with your evaluation, Eyria. I just watched her short program, and she has such sparkle. She displays a great deal of spontaneity, not that programmed quality that so many very young skaters have. How old is she? She's very impressive.

She certainly has a chance to do well at Worlds, if she retains her self-assurance. As for how high in the rankings she'll end up, a lot depends on how well everyone else does. But if she stays on her feet, she's sure going to make Canada look good.
    She's 17 years old.

Custom Title
    I think Kaetlyn has alot of potential but I still think she looks kind of "heavy" on the ice. The fact that she's only 17 years old is in her favor. She has the jumps and the spins - just needs the finesse. It's nice to see a Canadian lady back in the hunt though.

Custom Title
    Im not sure about her worlds chances, but this girl is one for surprises! wherever she places I will enjoy watching her enjoy her time on the ice like she always seems to do, the joy she skates with and the way she presents everything is terrific

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    Just watched Kaetlyn's long program at Skate Canada. Yes . . . she could medal at Worlds. I could see that happening, easily. If Mao has a meltdown or lots of URs; if Carolina has a subpar performance (very possible after so much time off); if Akiko again doubles lots of jumps; if Ashley's not fully recovered; if Yuna isn't at her best . . . A lot of ifs, I know, but all this [I]could[I] easily happen.

This girl is very, very talented. Just a natural performer. What I like is she's a very complete skater, especially for her age. Great jumps, good difficulty, excellent transitions and choreography, wonderful performance quality and speed, good overall skating. The other younger girls--Tukt, Adelina, Julia, Gracie--have a half-baked feel. There's something missing with each of them, either musicality and performance quality, or consistency with the jumps, or overall packaging. Not so with Kaetlyn. She really has it all--no serious weaknesses. So far.
    I totally agree. Osmond's talent is undeniable. And I enjoy her skating more than any of the wonder babies these days and find her even more impressive than the so called skating prodigies like Kim and Asada when they were the same age (mind you, I've never stepped on either of their bandwagons). They had impressive jumps, but Osmond has EVERYTHING, imo. What I'm particularly excited about her skating besides the big jumps and difficult transitions is that she seems to be able to handle any tempo of music and has a wide range of movement and expression. Of course she still needs to work on refining her elements and other little things like holding an edge steadier in her footwork and extending her moves longer but the maturity and performance quality she has displayed for someone who is barely 17 is incredible and very rare, imo, and promises many good things to come in the future. Oh, and I love her Carmen.
    Last edited by shine; 01-20-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    I totally agree. Osmond's talent is undeniable. And I enjoy her skating more than any of the wonder babies these days and find her even more impressive than the so called skating prodigies like Kim and Asada when they were the same age (mind you, I've never stepped on either of their bandwagons). They had impressive jumps, but Osmond has EVERYTHING, imo. What I'm particularly excited about her skating besides the big jumps and difficult transitions is that she seems to be able to handle any tempo of music and has a wide range of movement and expression.
    I'm not a fan of Kaetlyn, but I honestly feel like she seems happier than Mao or Yuna (when they were her age) when she's on the ice. It's not a happiness that is borne by portraying a character, but it seems more ... genuine.

Exudes happiness, this one.

Custom Title
    I totally agree. Osmond's talent is undeniable. And I enjoy her skating more than any of the wonder babies these days and find her even more impressive than the so called skating prodigies like Kim and Asada when they were the same age (mind you, I've never stepped on either of their bandwagons). They had impressive jumps, but Osmond has EVERYTHING, imo. What I'm particularly excited about her skating besides the big jumps and difficult transitions is that she seems to be able to handle any tempo of music and has a wide range of movement and expression. Of course she still needs to work on refining her elements and other little things like holding an edge steadier in her footwork and extending her moves longer but the maturity and performance quality she has displayed for someone who is barely 17 is incredible and very rare, imo, and promises many good things to come in the future. Oh, and I love her Carmen.
    You must have not seen Yuna's debut at Worlds in 2007. She had everything even then to become a Olympic champion. And this was from when she was just 16. Osmond is good but i don't think this good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bYtM0vmtkM

Custom Title
    Osmond is super talented and her SP is just great (I'm a little lukewarm about her FS), but I have to disagree that she's more talented than Kim and Asada, who were more than "so-called prodigies"--they WERE prodigies who lived up to their talent and potential by winning just about everything on the junior level and then senior level. It's just bizarre to lift her up past the reigning Olympic gold and silver medalists, who have three World titles, six GPF titles, and fifteen (!) GP wins between them, as well as having won every competition on the junior level. Osmond never won a single competition as a junior and that's actually why she was only able to get one GP. Had she had more success on the junior level, she would have earned two GP slots this season.

If Osmond floats your boat and Asada/Kim don't, okay, but I can't agree that there's anything in her skating that is more impressive than what those two showed in their senior debuts. There is nothing that you say that she has that they didn't have either--big jumps, difficult transitions, and both of their SP and FS programs utilized distinctly different kinds of music and showcased different sides of themselves. Both Yu-Na and Mao both had extremely stunning SPs in the 2006-2007 season. Mao's FS did have good transitions at the time (she actually had brackets into the 3A at the time), and Yu-Na's FS was a real masterpiece. Yu-Na in particularly had then and has now a wide range of movement and expression. It's obvious you're not on their bandwagon, but facts are facts.

You don't win all the titles that Yu-Na and Mao did without having "everything". If Osmond wins half of what they did, that would be an amazing career. But for now, the statement that she's more impressive than they were at the same age just doesn't hold water, either in terms of skating alone or in terms of competitive success. She hasn't matched what they did in their first seasons as a senior even without taking Worlds into account (both Mao and Yu-Na won won a GP and medaled at the other in their senior debut seasons, and won the GPF.).

Osmond has shown alot of consistancy this year. I love how she can still perform her program , giving it so much expression while attempting so much difficulty. She is so smooth out of her jumps. I would say a top 5 finish is very possible with a good skate. She may have an outside chance at a medal this year though. I think its not expected on her though. Iam happy Canada has a good lady to cheer for.

Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    Osmond is super talented and her SP is just great (I'm a little lukewarm about her FS), but I have to disagree that she's more talented than Kim and Asada, who were more than "so-called prodigies"--they WERE prodigies who lived up to their talent and potential by winning just about everything on the junior level and then senior level. It's just bizarre to lift her up past the reigning Olympic gold and silver medalists, who have three World titles, six GPF titles, and fifteen (!) GP wins between them, as well as having won every competition on the junior level. Osmond never won a single competition as a junior and that's actually why she was only able to get one GP. Had she had more success on the junior level, she would have earned two GP slots this season.

If Osmond floats your boat and Asada/Kim don't, okay, but I can't agree that there's anything in her skating that is more impressive than what those two showed in their senior debuts. There is nothing that you say that she has that they didn't have either--big jumps, difficult transitions, and both of their SP and FS programs utilized distinctly different kinds of music and showcased different sides of themselves. Both Yu-Na and Mao both had extremely stunning SPs in the 2006-2007 season. Mao's FS did have good transitions at the time (she actually had brackets into the 3A at the time), and Yu-Na's FS was a real masterpiece. Yu-Na in particularly had then and has now a wide range of movement and expression. It's obvious you're not on their bandwagon, but facts are facts.

You don't win all the titles that Yu-Na and Mao did without having "everything". If Osmond wins half of what they did, that would be an amazing career. But for now, the statement that she's more impressive than they were at the same age just doesn't hold water, either in terms of skating alone or in terms of competitive success. She hasn't matched what they did in their first seasons as a senior even without taking Worlds into account (both Mao and Yu-Na won won a GP and medaled at the other in their senior debut seasons, and won the GPF.).
    Well said jaylee

skating philosopher
    Okay, stats time!

Here's the list of ladies who medaled at their first Worlds since 1961:

1990 Holly Cook, USA, bronze. This would be Cook's only time at Worlds.
    1991 Tonya Harding, USA, silver. Harding never medaled again at Worlds.
    1991 Nancy Kerrigan, USA, bronze Kerrigan got a silver in 1992 Worlds.
    1993 Oksana Baiul, UKR, gold. This would be her only Worlds.
    1999 JUlia Soldatova, RUS, bronze. This would be her only Worlds.
    2006 Kimmie Meissner, USA, gold. Meissner would never medal again at Worlds.
    2007 Mao Asada, JPN, silver. Asada won in 2008 and 2010. But she was OTP in 2009, 2011, 2012.
    2007 Yuna Kim, KOR, bronze. Kim has medaled at every Worlds she competed in -- bronze in 2008; gold in 2009; silver in 2010 and 2011

So consider this out of eight woman who won medals in their Worlds debut:

Three or 38 percent of those debut winners (Kerrigan, Asada and Kim) medaled again.
    Half of them have Olympics medals. (Kerrigan, Baiul, Asada and Kim)
    Only two won Olympic Gold (Baiul and Kim)

Most of the Olympic/recurring Worlds winners had respectable top 5 or top 10 debuts before winning their string of medals.

Custom Title
    Soldatova competed at future Worlds for Belarus, just never finished in the top 10.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast