Thread: Xiangning Li

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!

Xiangning Li

Go Ad-Free! Become a GS Supporter! Thank you
    Li Xiangning (李香凝 born May 11, 2000) is a Chinese figure skater. She is a 2016 Winter Youth Olympic champion in the team event and a four-time Chinese national senior medalist.

Born in an ordinary family, Xianging had not been able to get high quality training until season 2016-17. In 2016 summer, she was finally recruited by the Chinese National team and started training in Beijing coached by Xin Zhang. She has improved drastically ever since and became a sweet surprise to Chinese skating fans who have been waiting to see more talents in the ladies field.

Xiangning was placed 14th at World Championship 2017, her first senior worlds, earning China one precious spot in 2018 PyeongChang Olympics.

ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00014328.htm

Wikepedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Xiangning

Weibo: http://www.weibo.com/u/1431880312?re...ag=1001030102_ (She didn't update her weibo too much though.)

Season 2016 - 17
    World Championship SP:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC8w8ncZ6h4
    World Championship FS:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKX8wiw-IBM

World Team Trophy FS:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbfcknTUZk8

Four Continents FS:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFEBbPCxbf4

Cup of China SP:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FABljHvMNPY
    Cup of China FS:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggR2ajytomI
    Last edited by skatefan22; 05-06-2017 at 07:22 PM.

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    Interview with Xiangning's mother:

Q: Who is Xiangning's idol?
    A: Yuna Kim. When she was a kid, I bought her a book about Yuna and she read it through. Xiangxiang (her nick name) also likes Han Yan very much. She admires his skating skills and speed into jumps. Another reason is probably that she is the only child in the family and she has been longing to have an older brother. Also, Dan Fang has great influence on her. I took her to watch a National competition where she was deeply touched by Dan Fang's performance. She told me "Mom, I want to be like Sister Dan Fang, wearing beautiful dresses and skating on the ice, being loved by more people."

Q: What does she in leisure time?
    She likes watching animation. Her favorite character is little Huihui (from Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf which is a animation for children) because Huihui has a gentle and kind heart. Although she is 16 years old already, she still loves watching such animations, never growing up. But she seems to begin watching some Japanese manga recently.

Q: What did she say that impressed you the most?
    When she was a kid, she had a chance to meet Nan Song who was wearing a National team uniform. She was drawn by the National flag and "CHINA" logo on that uniform. She found that uniform so beautiful. I told her, only National team members can wear that uniform. When you wear it, you represent the best athlete of China. She said: "I will work hard and one day wear a uniform that has the National flag, represent the country in competitions and earn glory for the country."

Q: Did Xiangxiang ever cry in training or competitions?
    Xiangxiang has never cried in training. But she is a sentimental child. Up to now, due to various reasons, she has switched coaches from coaches, altogether five of them. Every coach has great influence on her skating. She has deep affection towards every one of them. Every time we had to change coach, she cried because she didn't want to leave them. Ms. Chunling Zhang is her first coach. Coach Yanjin Shi is like her Mom. Coach Ming Xu led her into international competitions. And now she is training with Coach Xin Zhang in Beijing and she improved a lot. Coach Li Bao, although she has just taught Xiangxiang for a short period, she helped her do a beautiful Biellman and remind us to control weight during growth. Thanks to Coach Bao, Xiangxiang has been dealing with growth smoothly so far.
    Last edited by skatefan22; 04-22-2017 at 08:03 AM.

Rinkside

2 Not allowed!
    thank you for creating this thread and posting all the information!

xiangning is a beautiful new talent and i look forward to seeing her achievements!

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sublimeskating View Post
    thank you for creating this thread and posting all the information!

xiangning is a beautiful new talent and i look forward to seeing her achievements!
    Thanks! What I am impressed by this girl is that she is so calm on the ice, never getting nervous and just enjoying the moment. Seems like she doesn't think of scores or whatsoever. She skates with delight, does her best, and is pleased with what judges give her.

Rinkside

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan22 View Post
    Thanks! What I am impressed by this girl is that she is so calm on the ice, never getting nervous and just enjoying the moment. Seems like she doesn't think of scores or whatsoever. She skates with delight, does her best, and is pleased with what judges give her.
    and that is something which is very impressive! especially for a competitor so young!

what i love seeing is skaters who skate with feeling and show their delight and enjoy their skates. it's a very hard thing to do especially in competitions (because of the pressure, nerves, and stress), so seeing this in someone, especially so young, is just wonderful

xiangning has really done her country proud and i think she has a bright future ahead!
    Last edited by sublimeskating; 04-22-2017 at 08:16 AM.

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    and that is something which is very impressive! especially for a competitor so young!

what i love seeing is skaters who skate with feeling and show their delight and enjoy their skates. it's a very hard thing to do especially in competitions (because of the pressure, nerves, and stress), so seeing this in someone, especially so young, is just wonderful

xiangning has really done her country proud and i think she has a bright future ahead!
    Exactly. Delightful, calm, optimistic, and polite. Another good thing is that she is not into social media and that sort of things. She didn't even know what live video streaming is until Boyang showed her an APP of the kind on the mobile phone. I just feel that staying away from social media helps a skater to focus and never get bothered by any fan war.

Rinkside

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan22 View Post
    Exactly. Delightful, calm, optimistic, and polite. Another good thing is that she is not into social media and that sort of things. She didn't even know what live video streaming is until Boyang showed her an APP of the kind on the mobile phone. I just feel that staying away from social media helps a skater to focus and never get bothered by any fan war.
    i absolutely agree with you!

there is SO MUCH DRAMA on social media, and i'm not even a celebrity or famous athlete and i'm just an ordinary person, but even i feel wary about social media

i think for skaters, who are already dealing with so much stress and pressure (physically and mentally), it's probably healthier for them to stay away from social media, which tends to blow up with rumors, fan wars, etc. etc.

i'm not saying social media is bad, but i think for skaters who are already so busy and under so much stress, being able to stay away from all the extra DRAMA is probably better for their mental health...

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    i absolutely agree with you!

there is SO MUCH DRAMA on social media, and i'm not even a celebrity or famous athlete and i'm just an ordinary person, but even i feel wary about social media

i think for skaters, who are already dealing with so much stress and pressure (physically and mentally), it's probably healthier for them to stay away from social media, which tends to blow up with rumors, fan wars, etc. etc.

i'm not saying social media is bad, but i think for skaters who are already so busy and under so much stress, being able to stay away from all the extra DRAMA is probably better for their mental health...
    Considering all the DRAMA in the Chinese ladies field all these years, I hope Xiangxiang continues to stay away from weibo. Just focus on skating. I have faith in her in having a fruitful and long competitive career.

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!

Go Ad-Free! Become a GS Supporter! Thank you
    New 2017-18 programs announcement
    LP-Raymonda, choreo by David Wilson
    SP-Cinema Paradiso