Yuzuru Hanyu Artistic Skater | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu Artistic Skater

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I was watching his EX for NHK Throphy....
It's amazing how he interprets the song (since I'm Japanese) and the lyrics are awesome.
I honestly feel his artistry and his musical interpretation is a lot better than Patrick Chan's and Takahashi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHzTL9AZp5g&playnext=1&list=PLFF271000771F9DB6&feature=results_video

There are all forms of artistry, those which are innate; those that are taught, learnt, developed and self realised; and those which are by products from just doing something extremely well, unique and better than any others before them.

It is worth to note, an artistic skater is not always artistic all the time, but they have higher chance of establishing real artistry than someone who is not deemed artistic. However, this is not to say some one that is less artistic is not capable of great art, since some of the best arts are actually purely accidental, by chance, luck and in the right time at the right place. It depends entirely on the context of how the work came about, who they collaborate with, what they do, where, how and for what special occasion, or things that might have inspired the the work, context etc.

I consider Hanyu is artistic in the sense when he is truly on fire, he is able capable of displaying pure techniques that are prone to integrate seamlessly with his musicality (regardless whether it is suited to the program, or music subject matter), then by the peak which he reached in that moment.... it became an art itself, in its uniqueness, originality, truth and authenticity. Not all the arts are the same value and to be appreciated equally.

I'd say the title of this thread is misleading, since I think Hanyu's type of artistry itself is not dependent on his gender, though perhaps different genders do appreciate his artistry differently!

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
He is a genius, no doubt. Soft and beautiful with childish face, but I don't know what will be his style when he becomes man. I hope his style a little bit changes because I saw some girlish gesture. I like when the men are men on the ice. But this is really matter of taste. And I hope too, you don't misunderstand my poor english, because I can't say better. I adore when Yuzu's eyes full of passion, and he skates passionately. Oh I almost forgot, his technic are really manly!!!! I like it!!:thumbsup:

MasterB

Final Flight
There are all forms of artistry, those which are innate; those that are taught, learnt, developed and self realised; and those which are by products from just doing something extremely well, unique and better than any others before them.

It is worth to note, an artistic skater is not always artistic all the time, but they have higher chance of establishing real artistry than someone who is not deemed artistic. However, this is not to say some one that is less artistic is not capable of great art, since some of the best arts are actually purely accidental, by chance, luck and in the right time at the right place. It depends entirely on the context of how the work came about, who they collaborate with, what they do, where, how and for what special occasion, or things that might have inspired the the work, context etc.

I consider Hanyu is artistic in the sense when he is truly on fire, he is able capable of displaying pure techniques that are prone to integrate seamlessly with his musicality (regardless whether it is suited to the program, or music subject matter), then by the peak which he reached in that moment.... it became an art itself, in its uniqueness, originality, truth and authenticity. Not all the arts are the same value and to be appreciated equally.

I'd say the title of this thread is misleading, since I think Hanyu's type of artistry itself is not dependent on his gender, though perhaps different genders do appreciate his artistry differently!

A very good definition of artistic. I am always on the fence with Hanyu. His technicality is very masculine (except maybe his Bielman spin). This program that you posted does have him do some really feminine moves and he sometimes does the say thing in his competitive programs. I find that some people think that in order to be artistic you have to be feminine. Some of our most artistic male skaters did skate feminine like, at least in my opinion, such as Browning, Wylie, Chan, Abbott, and many more I am sure.

In the past I always struggled with Weir who most found to be very artistic. I never found him to be artistic but, just very feminine. And in his case it was just him expressing who he is off the ice.

Artistry is like beauty, its up to the eye of the beholder.

MasterB

Final Flight
Sorry, meant to state that the skater listed above DID NOT skate feminine, at least to me. I should wear my glasses when I write.

evangeline

Record Breaker
A very good definition of artistic. I am always on the fence with Hanyu. His technicality is very masculine (except maybe his Bielman spin). This program that you posted does have him do some really feminine moves and he sometimes does the say thing in his competitive programs. I find that some people think that in order to be artistic you have to be feminine. Some of our most artistic male skaters did skate feminine like, at least in my opinion, such as Browning, Wylie, Chan, Abbott, and many more I am sure.

In the past I always struggled with Weir who most found to be very artistic. I never found him to be artistic but, just very feminine. And in his case it was just him expressing who he is off the ice.

Artistry is like beauty, its up to the eye of the beholder.

Just wondering....what does "skating feminine" mean?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hmmm, well just because you are a woman or feminine doesn't mean your are artistic or good at artistry though at the same time the irony is we tend to think flowy things and classical music and showing emotion as "female oriented". I have to say whatever you call it performance, artistry Hanyu is awesome BUT he is still young and it shows a bit; he doesn't have that maturity, that confidence of Dai or even Chan - that will come with time ie. the smiles when he makes tiny errors while enduring,charming, cute etc etc not necessarily artisitc:)

evangeline

Record Breaker
^^ What's funny is that in the Classical era, women were deemed unfit to compose classical music because classical music--one of the pillars of the Age of Reason--was seen as too rational and enlightened for overly-emotional women to comprehend, much less compose. :laugh:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I think Hanyu's personal investment in his movement is what gives power to his artistry. I just want him to skate as himself, whether it's softer or harder. There's nothing more jarring than seeing a skater trying to skate more traditionally masculine when they're not (like Adam Rippon's current LP). I would rather see someone skate honestly than manly (in many ways, "being a man" is mainly a cover for emotional attachment anyway).

Last edited:

MasterB

Final Flight
I think Hanyu's personal investment in his movement is what gives power to his artistry. I just want him to skate as himself, whether it's softer and harder. There's nothing more jarring than seeing a skater trying to skate more traditionally masculine when they're not (like Adam Rippon's current LP). I would rather see someone skate honestly than manly (in many way, "being a man" is mainly a cover for emotional attachment anyway).

This topic can go so many ways and some of you have stated very interesting points of view. Many young male skaters struggle with programs early on. They don't want to be perceived as sissies so many will choose strong music a la Eldredge style and curtailed their movement to be stronger and sometimes purposely leave out moves that are considered to be feminine such as spirals or camel spins. It is not easy to be a male in a female dominated sport. We don't grow up with many male role models at least not many that are straight. Skating a program reveals a lot about a person and sometimes it is not the intended purpose.

When Hanyu skates and is putting these numbers together he may not realize that he is being extremely feminine and that may not be what he is trying to do. While he grew up with Dai as a role model. Dai does it in such a way that when I see him do it I don't think of male/female. I see a very involved individual with the music. When Dai was younger some of his moves were very feminine and although he still does some of them there is a certain male strength to it. I don't know if that came we age and/or more awareness of himself and what he wanted to put out there.

Kalina

On the Ice
When Yuzuru skates this kind of programs, he does have a soft, sort-of-balletic movement, particularly in his arms. But I often watch ballet and I don't think that kind of movements are something that belong to one gender in particular.
He is, though, a very emotional skater, has long limbs and a pretty face, is quite flexible and does moves that are more often seen in women's skating (layback ina bauer, biellmann spin), and wears unusual costumes. I think these things put together certainly help in giving the impression that he skates in a feminine way.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary