Yuzuru Hanyu Artistic Skater | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu Artistic Skater

Daniel5555

On the Ice
I was watching his EX for NHK Throphy....
It's amazing how he interprets the song (since I'm Japanese) and the lyrics are awesome.
I honestly feel his artistry and his musical interpretation is a lot better than Patrick Chan's and Takahashi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHzTL9AZp5g&playnext=1&list=PLFF271000771F9DB6&feature=results_video
Yuzuru is superb all around skater. I think it is his artistry that really made him stand out for me. Technically he is wonderful, but I think it is his emotion and the way he performs on ice is what made me to include, first, his SP and later his LP as my personal highlights of the current season.
I don't think that his interpretation is better than interpretation of Patrick and Daisuke, if we are fair to them, because they have more experience and they are great in it, but I do think that Yuzuru is very different and I like his particular style more than Patrick's and Daisuke's styles, and I also think that this can be same for many people. Some say that Yuzuru is not really mature enough to be as good as those, but I personally don't care much about this, for me maybe it is his emotions of a growing up man that make me sympathize more with him and make his performances so special.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
I think his musicality is exceptional and right up there with any skater, but the all around artistry is still developing. When he gets into a program, you can tell that he's emotionally invested in it and totally living the music, but sometimes I get the impression that he doesn't always know how best to use his body and different body movements to express what he's feeling. At times you can see some arm gesturing and repetitive movements, and I think this happens when he feels a need to fill in the blanks within the choreography. Because he's so passionate and energetic, the overall performance can still be great, but its definitely something for him to work on. When he does get the choreography and the music and the emotion to come together, the end result is :love:.

As an aside - did anyone else chuckle at him skating to Parisienne Walkways in that costume and after that EX? :laugh: He's definitely versatile.

Lunna

On the Ice
As an aside - did anyone else chuckle at him skating to Parisienne Walkways in that costume and after that EX? :laugh: He's definitely versatile.
Last year Yzuzru became my favourite skater and even I was impressed with this switch of characters a lot. I definitely like the fact that he has such different SP and LP this year.

sampaguita

Rinkside
I think that he skates with a feminine touch - but I say that in a good way. The artistry in ladies' skating is of a higher level that that in men's. When I see Plushenko skate, for example, I see strength. Or even Patrick Chan and Javier Fernandez. But when Yuzuru skates to a program that he likes, his emotions just show (think Worlds 2012 FS, and NHK Ex). He has the strength of Plushenko and the artistry of Weir. I can't ask for anything more.

I just wish that Brian Orser would stop forcing him to be mature in time for Sochi. Part of Yuzuru's charm is his youth. He will mature eventually, but there's no need to rush that.

Big Deal

Final Flight
"Artistic" and "passionate" are different words with different meanings.

Yuzuru is for sure a very passionate skater far from being ready with his style and selfidentity.
Wait and see, he has a great potential to become an artistic skater later on.

My choices for artistic men skaters are:
1. John Curry.
2.Toller Cranston.
3.Alexei Jagudin.
4.Stephan Lambiel.
5. Daisuke Takahashi.
6.Patrick Chan.
7. Paul Wylie.

(not necessarily an order, because real artistry doesn't need to be placed or been put in any order, it is a special QUALITY).

Hanyu is just not there yet, but has a chance to reach this Class in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
He has the strength of Plushenko and the artistry of Weir. I can't ask for anything more.

I just wish that Brian Orser would stop forcing him to be mature in time for Sochi. Part of Yuzuru's charm is his youth. He will mature eventually, but there's no need to rush that.
Unfortunately, no. He doesn't have the strength of Plu. Their powers and staminas are simply incomparable. And Hanyu issue became even more visible after he moved to Canada.

I agree with everything you said about his current coach policy.