Weaver injures ankle | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Weaver injures ankle

I'm so sorry to hear of her injury. One thing in their favor is that ice dance seems to have a long life span. They could still recover and improve their standings.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I actually disagree. Of course they will need to do a lot aof catch up. but D/S tried only one event and extremely soon after Isabelle's pregnancy, so their fate was decided before even Vancouver started and they retired after that. How do you know that W/P will just give up after a single try? They are still young. 23/25, a lot younger than D/S were around Vancouvr. These two digged themselves out of a lot deeper hole before, I totally trust their resilinence and determination. They will probably be away only a half season and after that is a fresh re-start for an entire season, a totally different ball game.

I certainly don't think they will give up after one event. With the rate B/S, C/L, and I/K are going, catching up isn't possible anymore. Without the injury, they are already playing catch up. With the injury, it's over.
like it or not, ice dancing is always about waiting for your turn. When you get back in line, you are at the end of the queue.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
I certainly don't think they will give up after one event. With the rate B/S, C/L, and I/K are going, catching up isn't possible anymore. Without the injury, they are already playing catch up. With the injury, it's over.
like it or not, ice dancing is always about waiting for your turn. When you get back in line, you are at the end of the queue.

This is ridiculous. Sorry. We now live in the COP era. While it isn't perfect, one thing that has been proven over time is that COP no longer requires each team to wait their turn, at least on the International stage. V/M and D/W didn't. Shibs didn't. And it works both ways for them....when they were great, they were 3rd in the world. But that didn't mean they stayed there. Last year was not so great for them, and they didn't stay on the podium. P/B didn't wait their turn.... It's been hard-fought, hard-trained year by year progress over MANY years, and coaching changes, to get to the quality they now consistently produce. C/L were a mess for years and are only now beginning to get themselves together. I/K certainly haven't waited their turn. They need to get some decent programs and skate them well before they will be respected as serious contenders. By your logic, B/S might as well have packed it in last year. They were absolutely awful last year. But look what a difference one off-season and a coaching change can make! No... ice dance may be a lot of things, and still prone to some politicking and ridiculousness in GOE and PCS that creates some crazy situations from time to time, but "wait your turn" it's not.

Weaver/Poje have loads of talent, outstanding work ethic, determination, resilience, incredible chemistry, youth, great coaches.... Being away from training for 3 or 4 months will not sink their career. If they come back with well trained and amazing programs that show some complexity and show off their amazing chemistry, there is no reason why they wouldn't find their way back and even to a podium. Yes, others are improving, but it is silly to suggest that Weaver/Poje won't or can't because of 3 or 4 months of healing. There is lots of time to next pre-GP and GP.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If there is a wait your turn problem, it's inside a single federation. Unfortunately for W&P, Canada has lots of talent, and they may really have to fight to keep their number 2 slot in Canada if one of the two teams that Canada sends to Worlds with V&M finishes at least sixth.

In the US, the case of Samuelson & Bates is pertinent, who got passed by the Shibutanis while they were injured. And further back in time, the case of Gregory & Petukhov, who were passed by Davis & White while injured. Neither team kept skating after that.

In Russia, Monko & Khaliavin slid behind Sinitsina & Zhiganshin while injured.

So we'll have to wait & see how Gilles & Poirier do at Worlds.

Personally, I think Weaver & Poje have shown great toughness, and they'll prevail, but it's not going to be a slam dunk. They'll need that toughness.

Last edited:

Orange Cat

On the Ice
That's such a shame :cry:

I really like W/P- despite their issues with levels, I was one of those who really liked their FD this season (if not their rather disappointingly generic SD). I hope that she recovers well and that they can keep up their position in Canada! I know that a lot of people get injuries in ice skating and it is pretty much part and parcel of the sport- but this is not v. good timing...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
G & P had more going on than losing their momentum after the fall. Dale Gregory (Melissa's mom) was fighting cancer and lost that battle. The two were very close and Melissa's perspective changed a bit. They do shows and seminars and have an after school type program teaching through skating life lessons. I'd say they're winning in other ways.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
G & P had more going on than losing their momentum after the fall. Dale Gregory (Melissa's mom) was fighting cancer and lost that battle. The two were very close and Melissa's perspective changed a bit. They do shows and seminars and have an after school type program teaching through skating life lessons. I'd say they're winning in other ways.
Absolutely, they are winning people, but I do wonder whether they would have stayed in the amateur ranks if D&W had bombed out at Worlds, and if Navarro & Bommentre had finished lower than 12th too.

A long injury causes teams to really take stock, for various reasons.

I have heard though, that W&P are going to try to make it to Worlds, and that no surgery is required. I can't verify that this is true, but I hope it is so.

Ravensque

On the Ice
My gut feeling is that they will be there. She's young, healthy, and it also sounds as if she is very motivated and determined.......Good on her and Andrew.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If there is a wait your turn problem, it's inside a single federation. Unfortunately for W&P, Canada has lots of talent, and they may really have to fight to keep their number 2 slot in Canada if one of the two teams that Canada sends to Worlds with V&M finishes at least sixth.

Not going to happen. Gilles / Poirier are #21 on the Seasons Best list for the current season. Several junior teams, including Aldridge / Eaton, have scored higher than G/P. Paul / Islam aren't on the SB list because they didn't get a GP event, but their scores aren't high enough to threaten the top 10, let alone the top 6.

figureskate

On the Ice
Kaitlyn is undergoing surgery today. As skate canada reports on twitter they will miss nationals

“We really appreciate all of the support of our followers and fans. We wanted to wait until we were sure of the situation, and all the implications before we confirmed what had happened,” said Kaitlyn Weaver. “Andrew and I will definitely keep you posted on the results of the surgery and the progress as the weeks unfold.” http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/2280/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since Kaitlyn is having surgery, the chances of their making it to Worlds seem slim. Worlds is in early March this year, less than 12 weeks from now.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Kaitlyn is undergoing surgery today. As skate canada reports on twitter they will miss nationals

“We really appreciate all of the support of our followers and fans. We wanted to wait until we were sure of the situation, and all the implications before we confirmed what had happened,” said Kaitlyn Weaver. “Andrew and I will definitely keep you posted on the results of the surgery and the progress as the weeks unfold.” http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/2280/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Thank you for the update.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I'm feeling just devastated for these two.But as Ravenesque implies , I feel they have the emotional and mental toughness to overcome this disaster. Over the years , I've come to admire and respect this quality in them as much as their skating .

All the comparisons to teams that have been passed by that have been made here don't really resonate with me , because W/P are still young and on the upswing in their career ( unlike D/S ), they will not be returning with new partners ( unlike C/B ) ,etc.etc. I think a more fitting comparison would be to V/M.

Of course , all of this is without knowing the exact details of the medical situation , but I can't doubt that they will still have a strong partnership . We know they have an excellent coaching situation , and are already well regarded on the international scene. Any of the teams who may make strides in their absence would be foolish to think they'd no longer be in contention.

And doris is right to allude to politics within the federation. Skate Canada must ,must , must, just stand back and let the chips fall where they may this year. Ignore the ludicrous scores from last year's nationals and look at the international scores this year ..there really is no daylight between G/P and P/I ,and not all that much between G/P and O/W ... RH only had one GP , but we know where they managed to place last year , and their talent is not in question.

I hope they will undertake to fund 6 teams again , as they did when V/M were absent. What with the wealth of talent and assuming W/P will be back,they can't clearly set up for the Olympic year anyway. Just let it play out.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Absolutely, they are winning people, but I do wonder whether they would have stayed in the amateur ranks if D&W had bombed out at Worlds, and if Navarro & Bommentre had finished lower than 12th too.

I'm sure it played a part, but after Dale passed Melissa no longer had a real desire to continue competing at that level. She enjoys more family time now - is a very proud auntie - and so I think it was just a good "excuse" to move on. Like a sign or something. Denis injury from that fall/drop/whatever it should be called was much worse than Melissa's and had longer lasting effects.

They still skate beautifully though. :love: wish they'd come back up and do another seminar in Alaska!