Weaver injures ankle | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Weaver injures ankle

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
I guess their dream of a World podium finish is done for good.
This year was supposed to be the year they overtake P/B and they couldn't beat B/S. PCS took a step back. Now, another set back. By the time they are healthy again, B/S, C/L, even I/K are already way ahead.

In ice dancing, PCS are so important, it's impossible to catch up when you're away for so long. Like D/S a few years back, couldn't crack top 5 at the Olympics.

Ummm..... No. Maybe their dream of a world podium is done for this year, but I wouldn't write these 2 off permanently. It's a broken ankle, people. They may be done for this year, but if she takes the time to heal, there is no reason why these 2 can't be back in the running for the Fall season. They will qualify for 2 spots in the GP season for sure, so they'll be in the game. They will have some good time while the foot is up to listen to lots of music ideas, and I have full confidence with the help of Skate Canada folks, their coaches, their fans, etc. they can put together 2 incredible programs. Of all the teams on the international stage, this team has the most potential to blend the COP requirements with all the things fans seem to love about the old system (drama, interpretation, etc.). They have the goods. They didn't have the greatest vehicles this season, but I'm sure they will have something fantastic next season, especially with so much time to prepare. They won't be off a whole season. They are better than B/S, it's ridiculous that I/K are even getting the support they are with the awful programs they have, and who's to say how C/L do next year when they aren't mimicking V/M. They have great coaches, great foundations in skating, and they have an outstanding work ethic. Missing January to March is not the end of the world and does not write off their podium chances forever.

Lots of hugs and best wishes to Kaitlyn and Andrew!!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I guess their dream of a World podium finish is done for good.
This year was supposed to be the year they overtake P/B and they couldn't beat B/S. PCS took a step back. Now, another set back. By the time they are healthy again, B/S, C/L, even I/K are already way ahead.

In ice dancing, PCS are so important, it's impossible to catch up when you're away for so long. Like D/S a few years back, couldn't crack top 5 at the Olympics.

I dont agree with you often but sadly you are probably right on this one.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Of all the teams on the international stage, this team has the most potential to blend the COP requirements with all the things fans seem to love about the old system (drama, interpretation, etc.). They have the goods. They didn't have the greatest vehicles this season, but I'm sure they will have something fantastic next season, especially with so much time to prepare. They won't be off a whole season. They are better than B/S, it's ridiculous that I/K are even getting the support they are with the awful programs they have, and who's to say how C/L do next year when they aren't mimicking V/M. They have great coaches, great foundations in skating, and they have an outstanding work ethic. Missing January to March is not the end of the world and does not write off their podium chances forever.

Tell that to Isabelle and Olivier. They were unbeaten from World to the GPF of the next year. Then they were gone for just over a year, and were surpassed by 5 teams. 5 teams. And they were World champions.
Kaitlyn and Andrew are still nobody. You think B/S can't pass them? B/S already passed them.
I/K are passing them as well. You said it's ridiculous that I/K got support. Wouldn't it make sense that I/K will pass them next year?
C/L are improving year by year. They are even better than these two last year. It's impossible to catch up with this kind of set back.
Not to mention the junior teams waiting for their turn.
It is the end of the road for both Kaitlyn and Andrew. Sorry, game over. Thanks for playing.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Tell that to Isabelle and Olivier. They were unbeaten from World to the GPF of the next year. Then they were gone for just over a year, and were surpassed by 5 teams. 5 teams. And they were World champions.
Kaitlyn and Andrew are still nobody. You think B/S can't pass them? B/S already passed them.
I/K are passing them as well. You said it's ridiculous that I/K got support. Wouldn't it make sense that I/K will pass them next year?
C/L are improving year by year. They are even better than these two last year. It's impossible to catch up with this kind of set back.
Not to mention the junior teams waiting for their turn.
It is the end of the road for both Kaitlyn and Andrew. Sorry, game over. Thanks for playing.

Exactly. Isabelle & Oliver would have won their 2nd World title without the fluke injury at the GPF that season. Easily. They have that injury, a surprise pregnancy, they come back and struggle to come 6th at the Olympics, which 15 months ago it looked like they might win. So for a second tier team one can only imagine the damage such a layoff will do. I worry now Weaver & Poje will even beat out Gilles & Poirier for the 2nd spot on the Olympic team, assuming we now go down to 2 without Weaver & Poje at Worlds this year.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Quick to spew the venom , or what ?

Ah well , I expect W/P to ultimately have the last laugh . I haven't had time to check in here much , but hearing the report ,I came here for news, and instead find ugliness.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Horrible news. I wonder if there is any chance of her being ready for Worlds.

Probably best to concentrate all her energy in being ready for Olympic season. I don't think she can get back to elite-level skating by early March.

Poor Kaitlyn :( And I agree, don't rush anything, work on healing completely. Wishing her all the best!

If Weaver was injured on Friday [ETA: correction, was it in fact Saturday?] night, then she prob. will be getting additional medical evaluation today (Monday). Fingers crossed that her fracture is on the less severe end of the spectrum.
Agree that she should allow herself as much time as necessary to heal properly. No doubt that Poje will have her best interests at heart.
That said, would be a shame for them to miss Worlds, esp. in his native country and province. The London audience would give them such support.

ETA:

Am I correct that even if they miss Nationals, it is Skate Canada's prerogative whether or not they compete at Worlds (if Weaver has recovered by then)?​

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's rather unfair to compare W/P to Delobel/Schoenfelder who after all were 32 years old in 2010 and Delobel's ill-timed pregnancy dealt them a devastating blow. The 2010 Olympics would likely have been their swan song anyway.

Kaitlin is 23 and Andrew 25 and their career is on the upswing---it's hardly the end of the road for them. Yes, they will have lost momentum, but their programs this season weren't moving them up, anyway. At least they will have been spared a significant drop in the standings at Worlds 2013. So it's not all bad.

Hopefully, they have a breath-taking season in olympic season and make up for the absence. Maybe, their time is after Sochi and further on.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I feel so bad for Kaitlyn and Andrew - what awful timing for such an injury (not that it's fun regardless of timing). I am hoping she will make a full recovery and be back in good form.

This season should have been their opportunity to build upon last year's success and set themselves up for Sochi... I think that has now become fairly unlikely. I do think they will have a good shot at being one of the top teams post-Sochi, however, and as chuckm noted, they are still young enough that this is a distinct possibility.

Re DelSchoes - I think it was the pregnancy that did them in more than her injury. Not only did it cost them a significant amount of training time, Isabelle was not able to get back into pre-pregnancy form in time for Vancouver. Had the Olympics been a year later, or the birth a few months earlier, they might have been more competitive.

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
I think this may be a blessing in disguise, as bad as that may sound. I love them, but their programs this season weren't cutting it, something was missing and even they knew that. I'm sure they will use this downtime to really think about what they need to do in terms of their programs and I am confident they will come back strong.

I don't think their off time will hurt them in the judges' eyes or impact their future standings. The judges have shown that they like this team and are more than willing to reward them when they skate a great program, they just didn't have those programs this season.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I think they still have a chance, but for the following Olympics, not 2014-
Granted its only juniors, but Davis and White lost a complete season when Charlie broke his ankle. Starting fresh, in the following season, they finished third at Junior Worlds, when they had never medalled at Jr. Worlds before.

OTOH, Evan Bates was out for an extended injury, and the couple broke up, because really, his body was not the same before and after the injury.

I do think if Delobel & Schoenfelder had been able to train better, they could have certainly medalled, and possibly won the 2010 Olympics. Unfortunately, they were not yet in their very best shape. The timing was all wrong, and they had not had the chance to get the mileage on the program that the GP allows. And the older you are, the harder; that is very true.

It's impossible to tell how Kaitlyn's injury will affect the team, long term, but their fans should not give up hope. She should certainly be back on the ice for the fall GP series, and they should get 2 slots, so they will have a chance to show their stuff. What does concern me is the probability that they either will not be at Worlds, or will not be in shape in at Worlds. There are so many wonderful young Canadian teams, and there's a good chance that there will only be 2 spots for Olympics is W&P don't skate at Worlds.

IGottaBeMe

Spectator

Ah well , I expect W/P to ultimately have the last laugh . I haven't had time to check in here much , but hearing the report ,I came here for news, and instead find ugliness.

Just wanted to echo your statement. Good luck to Kaitlyn on a speedy recovery.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Terrible news about Kaitlyn. I don't know the severity of her injury yet but I have no doubt
that she will recover and be back stronger than ever.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't imagine that Kaitlyn would be able to compete at Worlds after an injury like that. Worlds is in only 3 months, and that is not enough time to allow for recovery and training. Even if they don't compete at Worlds, they are high enough on ISU World Standings and Seasons Best to get two GP events next season.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Re DelSchoes - I think it was the pregnancy that did them in more than her injury. Not only did it cost them a significant amount of training time, Isabelle was not able to get back into pre-pregnancy form in time for Vancouver. Had the Olympics been a year later, or the birth a few months earlier, they might have been more competitive.

You think Isabelle and Olivier would stand a chance in 2010? with V/M and D/W domination? Had the Olympics been a year later, their chance would go down even further because V/M and D/W had already established themselves. Don't kid yourself, D/S were done by the injury and the pregnancy. There were too many talented young team waiting to pass them. Impossible for them to catch up, even in peak form.

W/P are much younger, but a setback is a setback. Instead of playing catch up to P/B, they will have to play catch up to at least 3-4 other teams.

This is not venomous, this is the reality. Some people should just get over themselves, I'm not being mean and venomous to poor Kaitlyn.

babayaga

On the Ice
That's really sad news. I actually liked their long program this season a lot, I think their mistake was not being fully ready for their first GP against significantly improved B/S. It is too bad if they won't have a chance to perform it again.

wishonastar

On the Ice

Totally agree. We all have our favorites that we support and cheer for, but to kick her when she is down is just plain rude! Best wishes for a speedy recovery Kaitlyn!!

colleen o'neill

Medalist
A major setback when you're already at your peak ( and some might argue beginning to get beyond it ) is one thing , but this is not the case with Kaitlyn and Andrew. All setbacks are not equal.

I think chuckm and babayaga's points are well made.

Maybe this is not venom.." It is the end of the road for both Kaitlyn and Andrew. Sorry , game over.Thanks for playing." ...but only breathtaking pessimism. Either way , it is , to me, a pretty ugly pronouncement for anyone to make at this juncture .

Some people might take their own advice.

herios

Medalist
I actually disagree. Of course they will need to do a lot aof catch up. but D/S tried only one event and extremely soon after Isabelle's pregnancy, so their fate was decided before even Vancouver started and they retired after that. How do you know that W/P will just give up after a single try? They are still young. 23/25, a lot younger than D/S were around Vancouvr. These two digged themselves out of a lot deeper hole before, I totally trust their resilinence and determination. They will probably be away only a half season and after that is a fresh re-start for an entire season, a totally different ball game.