Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Weaver injures ankle

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I think they still have a chance, but for the following Olympics, not 2014-
    Granted its only juniors, but Davis and White lost a complete season when Charlie broke his ankle. Starting fresh, in the following season, they finished third at Junior Worlds, when they had never medalled at Jr. Worlds before.

OTOH, Evan Bates was out for an extended injury, and the couple broke up, because really, his body was not the same before and after the injury.

I do think if Delobel & Schoenfelder had been able to train better, they could have certainly medalled, and possibly won the 2010 Olympics. Unfortunately, they were not yet in their very best shape. The timing was all wrong, and they had not had the chance to get the mileage on the program that the GP allows. And the older you are, the harder; that is very true.

It's impossible to tell how Kaitlyn's injury will affect the team, long term, but their fans should not give up hope. She should certainly be back on the ice for the fall GP series, and they should get 2 slots, so they will have a chance to show their stuff. What does concern me is the probability that they either will not be at Worlds, or will not be in shape in at Worlds. There are so many wonderful young Canadian teams, and there's a good chance that there will only be 2 spots for Olympics is W&P don't skate at Worlds.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    Quick to spew the venom , or what ?

Ah well , I expect W/P to ultimately have the last laugh . I haven't had time to check in here much , but hearing the report ,I came here for news, and instead find ugliness.
    Just wanted to echo your statement. Good luck to Kaitlyn on a speedy recovery.

Terrible news about Kaitlyn. I don't know the severity of her injury yet but I have no doubt
    that she will recover and be back stronger than ever.

Custom Title
    I can't imagine that Kaitlyn would be able to compete at Worlds after an injury like that. Worlds is in only 3 months, and that is not enough time to allow for recovery and training. Even if they don't compete at Worlds, they are high enough on ISU World Standings and Seasons Best to get two GP events next season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Re DelSchoes - I think it was the pregnancy that did them in more than her injury. Not only did it cost them a significant amount of training time, Isabelle was not able to get back into pre-pregnancy form in time for Vancouver. Had the Olympics been a year later, or the birth a few months earlier, they might have been more competitive.
    You think Isabelle and Olivier would stand a chance in 2010? with V/M and D/W domination? Had the Olympics been a year later, their chance would go down even further because V/M and D/W had already established themselves. Don't kid yourself, D/S were done by the injury and the pregnancy. There were too many talented young team waiting to pass them. Impossible for them to catch up, even in peak form.

W/P are much younger, but a setback is a setback. Instead of playing catch up to P/B, they will have to play catch up to at least 3-4 other teams.

This is not venomous, this is the reality. Some people should just get over themselves, I'm not being mean and venomous to poor Kaitlyn.

Custom Title
    That's really sad news. I actually liked their long program this season a lot, I think their mistake was not being fully ready for their first GP against significantly improved B/S. It is too bad if they won't have a chance to perform it again.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    Quick to spew the venom , or what ?

Ah well , I expect W/P to ultimately have the last laugh . I haven't had time to check in here much , but hearing the report ,I came here for news, and instead find ugliness.
    Totally agree. We all have our favorites that we support and cheer for, but to kick her when she is down is just plain rude! Best wishes for a speedy recovery Kaitlyn!!

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    A major setback when you're already at your peak ( and some might argue beginning to get beyond it ) is one thing , but this is not the case with Kaitlyn and Andrew. All setbacks are not equal.

I think chuckm and babayaga's points are well made.

Maybe this is not venom.." It is the end of the road for both Kaitlyn and Andrew. Sorry , game over.Thanks for playing." ...but only breathtaking pessimism. Either way , it is , to me, a pretty ugly pronouncement for anyone to make at this juncture .

Some people might take their own advice.

Let's stick to the topic folks, not going after each other.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post

In ice dancing, PCS are so important, it's impossible to catch up when you're away for so long. Like D/S a few years back, couldn't crack top 5 at the Olympics.
    I actually disagree. Of course they will need to do a lot aof catch up. but D/S tried only one event and extremely soon after Isabelle's pregnancy, so their fate was decided before even Vancouver started and they retired after that. How do you know that W/P will just give up after a single try? They are still young. 23/25, a lot younger than D/S were around Vancouvr. These two digged themselves out of a lot deeper hole before, I totally trust their resilinence and determination. They will probably be away only a half season and after that is a fresh re-start for an entire season, a totally different ball game.

Custom Title
    I'm so sorry to hear of her injury. One thing in their favor is that ice dance seems to have a long life span. They could still recover and improve their standings.

Custom Title
    Well, then, we all disagreed. Peace to Kaitlyn.
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 12-17-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: let's keep it on topic, if you have issues with posters, it's better to take it off the board.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    I actually disagree. Of course they will need to do a lot aof catch up. but D/S tried only one event and extremely soon after Isabelle's pregnancy, so their fate was decided before even Vancouver started and they retired after that. How do you know that W/P will just give up after a single try? They are still young. 23/25, a lot younger than D/S were around Vancouvr. These two digged themselves out of a lot deeper hole before, I totally trust their resilinence and determination. They will probably be away only a half season and after that is a fresh re-start for an entire season, a totally different ball game.
    I certainly don't think they will give up after one event. With the rate B/S, C/L, and I/K are going, catching up isn't possible anymore. Without the injury, they are already playing catch up. With the injury, it's over.
    like it or not, ice dancing is always about waiting for your turn. When you get back in line, you are at the end of the queue.

Custom Title
    This year has sucked for injuries to top skaters and teams.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    I certainly don't think they will give up after one event. With the rate B/S, C/L, and I/K are going, catching up isn't possible anymore. Without the injury, they are already playing catch up. With the injury, it's over.
    like it or not, ice dancing is always about waiting for your turn. When you get back in line, you are at the end of the queue.

This is ridiculous. Sorry. We now live in the COP era. While it isn't perfect, one thing that has been proven over time is that COP no longer requires each team to wait their turn, at least on the International stage. V/M and D/W didn't. Shibs didn't. And it works both ways for them....when they were great, they were 3rd in the world. But that didn't mean they stayed there. Last year was not so great for them, and they didn't stay on the podium. P/B didn't wait their turn.... It's been hard-fought, hard-trained year by year progress over MANY years, and coaching changes, to get to the quality they now consistently produce. C/L were a mess for years and are only now beginning to get themselves together. I/K certainly haven't waited their turn. They need to get some decent programs and skate them well before they will be respected as serious contenders. By your logic, B/S might as well have packed it in last year. They were absolutely awful last year. But look what a difference one off-season and a coaching change can make! No... ice dance may be a lot of things, and still prone to some politicking and ridiculousness in GOE and PCS that creates some crazy situations from time to time, but "wait your turn" it's not.

Weaver/Poje have loads of talent, outstanding work ethic, determination, resilience, incredible chemistry, youth, great coaches.... Being away from training for 3 or 4 months will not sink their career. If they come back with well trained and amazing programs that show some complexity and show off their amazing chemistry, there is no reason why they wouldn't find their way back and even to a podium. Yes, others are improving, but it is silly to suggest that Weaver/Poje won't or can't because of 3 or 4 months of healing. There is lots of time to next pre-GP and GP.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast