Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Weaver injures ankle

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    This year has sucked for injuries to top skaters and teams.
    At least it's not Tessa again - it's past time for someone else to be injured I guess.

Besides, we say it every year.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    NorthernDancers ... That was very well said.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    If there is a wait your turn problem, it's inside a single federation. Unfortunately for W&P, Canada has lots of talent, and they may really have to fight to keep their number 2 slot in Canada if one of the two teams that Canada sends to Worlds with V&M finishes at least sixth.

In the US, the case of Samuelson & Bates is pertinent, who got passed by the Shibutanis while they were injured. And further back in time, the case of Gregory & Petukhov, who were passed by Davis & White while injured. Neither team kept skating after that.

In Russia, Monko & Khaliavin slid behind Sinitsina & Zhiganshin while injured.

So we'll have to wait & see how Gilles & Poirier do at Worlds.

Personally, I think Weaver & Poje have shown great toughness, and they'll prevail, but it's not going to be a slam dunk. They'll need that toughness.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 12-18-2012 at 02:30 AM.

Custom Title
    That's such a shame

I really like W/P- despite their issues with levels, I was one of those who really liked their FD this season (if not their rather disappointingly generic SD). I hope that she recovers well and that they can keep up their position in Canada! I know that a lot of people get injuries in ice skating and it is pretty much part and parcel of the sport- but this is not v. good timing...

The closest thing to a report I've seen is a tweet from PJ Kwong
    https://twitter.com/skatingpj/status/280433721079894016

@michellehacon I have not spoken to Kaitlyn directly but have it on good authority that it's true - more details if/when I hear -#cbcskate

G & P had more going on than losing their momentum after the fall. Dale Gregory (Melissa's mom) was fighting cancer and lost that battle. The two were very close and Melissa's perspective changed a bit. They do shows and seminars and have an after school type program teaching through skating life lessons. I'd say they're winning in other ways.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    The original Facebook post cited at the top of this thread:
    International Figure Skating
    Saturday at 8:53pm
    I heard that Kaitlyn Weaver suffered a broken ankle in a training session this evening. If so, not good news.
    http://www.facebook.com/permalink.ph...d=278550292537

AFAIK, no subsequent confirmation from IFS.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    G & P had more going on than losing their momentum after the fall. Dale Gregory (Melissa's mom) was fighting cancer and lost that battle. The two were very close and Melissa's perspective changed a bit. They do shows and seminars and have an after school type program teaching through skating life lessons. I'd say they're winning in other ways.
    Absolutely, they are winning people, but I do wonder whether they would have stayed in the amateur ranks if D&W had bombed out at Worlds, and if Navarro & Bommentre had finished lower than 12th too.

A long injury causes teams to really take stock, for various reasons.

I have heard though, that W&P are going to try to make it to Worlds, and that no surgery is required. I can't verify that this is true, but I hope it is so.

Custom Title
    My gut feeling is that they will be there. She's young, healthy, and it also sounds as if she is very motivated and determined.......Good on her and Andrew.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    If there is a wait your turn problem, it's inside a single federation. Unfortunately for W&P, Canada has lots of talent, and they may really have to fight to keep their number 2 slot in Canada if one of the two teams that Canada sends to Worlds with V&M finishes at least sixth.
    Not going to happen. Gilles / Poirier are #21 on the Seasons Best list for the current season. Several junior teams, including Aldridge / Eaton, have scored higher than G/P. Paul / Islam aren't on the SB list because they didn't get a GP event, but their scores aren't high enough to threaten the top 10, let alone the top 6.

Custom Title
    Kaitlyn is undergoing surgery today. As skate canada reports on twitter they will miss nationals

“We really appreciate all of the support of our followers and fans. We wanted to wait until we were sure of the situation, and all the implications before we confirmed what had happened,” said Kaitlyn Weaver. “Andrew and I will definitely keep you posted on the results of the surgery and the progress as the weeks unfold.” http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx
    Last edited by figureskate; 12-18-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Custom Title
    Since Kaitlyn is having surgery, the chances of their making it to Worlds seem slim. Worlds is in early March this year, less than 12 weeks from now.

Quote Originally Posted by figureskate View Post
    Kaitlyn is undergoing surgery today. As skate canada reports on twitter they will miss nationals

“We really appreciate all of the support of our followers and fans. We wanted to wait until we were sure of the situation, and all the implications before we confirmed what had happened,” said Kaitlyn Weaver. “Andrew and I will definitely keep you posted on the results of the surgery and the progress as the weeks unfold.” http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx
    Thank you for the update.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I'm feeling just devastated for these two.But as Ravenesque implies , I feel they have the emotional and mental toughness to overcome this disaster. Over the years , I've come to admire and respect this quality in them as much as their skating .

All the comparisons to teams that have been passed by that have been made here don't really resonate with me , because W/P are still young and on the upswing in their career ( unlike D/S ), they will not be returning with new partners ( unlike C/B ) ,etc.etc. I think a more fitting comparison would be to V/M.

Of course , all of this is without knowing the exact details of the medical situation , but I can't doubt that they will still have a strong partnership . We know they have an excellent coaching situation , and are already well regarded on the international scene. Any of the teams who may make strides in their absence would be foolish to think they'd no longer be in contention.

And doris is right to allude to politics within the federation. Skate Canada must ,must , must, just stand back and let the chips fall where they may this year. Ignore the ludicrous scores from last year's nationals and look at the international scores this year ..there really is no daylight between G/P and P/I ,and not all that much between G/P and O/W ... RH only had one GP , but we know where they managed to place last year , and their talent is not in question.

I hope they will undertake to fund 6 teams again , as they did when V/M were absent. What with the wealth of talent and assuming W/P will be back,they can't clearly set up for the Olympic year anyway. Just let it play out.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Absolutely, they are winning people, but I do wonder whether they would have stayed in the amateur ranks if D&W had bombed out at Worlds, and if Navarro & Bommentre had finished lower than 12th too.
    I'm sure it played a part, but after Dale passed Melissa no longer had a real desire to continue competing at that level. She enjoys more family time now - is a very proud auntie - and so I think it was just a good "excuse" to move on. Like a sign or something. Denis injury from that fall/drop/whatever it should be called was much worse than Melissa's and had longer lasting effects.

They still skate beautifully though. wish they'd come back up and do another seminar in Alaska!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast