Weaver injures ankle | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Weaver injures ankle

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And doris is right to allude to politics within the federation. Skate Canada must ,must , must, just stand back and let the chips fall where they may this year. Ignore the ludicrous scores from last year's nationals and look at the international scores this year ..there really is no daylight between G/P and P/I ,and not all that much between G/P and O/W ...

G/P's scores:
174.53 (68.27+106.26) 2012 Canadians, 01/12
146.90 (55.98+ 90.92) US Intl Classic, 09/12
136.74 (53.71+ 83.03) SCI, 10/12
135.77 (51.99+ 83.78) TEB, 11/12

P/I's scores
146.48 (57.30+89.18) Canadian Nationals, 01/12
143.76 (55.86+87.90) US Intl Classic, 09/12
137.92 (54.50+83.42) Nebelhorn, 09/12

O/W's scores
145.53 (56.58+88.95) Canadian Nationals, 01/12
124.96 (51.44+73.52) CoR, 11/12
130.10 (49.76+80.34) NHK, 11/12

R/H's scores
147.51 (58.92+88.59) Canadian Nationals, 01/12
130.42 (53.79+76.63) Nebelhorn, 09/12
126.60 (50.00+76.60) SCI, 10/12

It appears that Paul/Islam's National scores were closest to reality and G/P's the farthest away. And these two teams are very close indeed based on this season's scores.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
On the one hand, the last team to peak at 4th was the Ukranian team of Romanova/Yaroshenko in 1994.

However.... this happened at a really bad time for W/P (as if there is a good time for this to happen, admittedly). Number of Olympic slots on the line (and while I do think that V/M and P/I/GP or R/H COULD earn three slots, it's by no means a given), momentum slowing down due to a disappointing GP season, the rapid improvement of B/S and C/L (as well as the tenacity P/B demonstrated).... a difficult obstacle to overcome.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
One can only hope for the best. There are breaks and there are breaks. Sometimes a sprain is far worse. If she didn't tear tendons, muscle and require surgery that is far far better (I spent 9 day sin the hospital with operations on my ankle and could not put any weight on it for six months. It was like a bad tv movie of the week - literally I had to learn how to walk again. Hopefully Kaitlyn will be mobile soon and that she iwll be careful.

heyhey

On the Ice
Well ankles can be tricky. First of all - we don't know if Weaver injured her dominant foot or not. And usually if it was a clean fracture then no surgery would be required. As Skaterboy indicated depending on the fracture and whether there was any ligaments torn - the length of rehabilitation would vary. At this point W/P need to be patient with this injury and work around it.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Olympic spots is not a worry for Weaver & Poje. They are still a lock for the #2 spot for Canada to go to Sochi, and if the others are so weak they cant even keep 3 spots without them and a gold or silver for Virtue & Moir that only becomes even more obvious. It is a bigger worry for the other teams.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Weaver "back on her feet" -- per W/P's own tweet

Kaitlyn / Andrew ‏@WeaverPoje
So grateful for your love and kind words. HUGE thanks to Dr Theodoroupolos and Dr Johnny Lau for putting Kaitlyn back on her feet! #GOteam !
4:50 PM - 19 Dec 12

Although unclear what exactly "back on her feet" means, sounds like a good sign.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Not necessarily indicative of anything, but the crutches that Kaitlyn Weaver had been seen using a while back do not appear in a photo of W/P taken and tweeted this morning.

@WeaverPoje

Possible of course that she still needs the crutches, and simply put them aside when posing (in standing position) for the photo. But who knows??

As the photo shows, W/P were on CP24 Breakfast this morning.
And they had tweeted some days ago that they will be on CTV today (presumably during Nats coverage).

ETA, photo of W/P on CTV set today with Brian Williams:

I hope that someone in Canada will let us know whatever W/P are saying today about her recovery, please. Thx!

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Pj Kwong ‏@skatingpj
Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje are in the house! Kaitlyn's stylish cast! #cbcskate pic.twitter.com/bBLnTJvq
4:14 PM - 19 Jan 13
https://twitter.com/skatingpj/status/292741720716763137

Kwong's tweets indicate that she hopes/intends to post a video interview too.

ETA: Link to Kwong's Jan 19 video w/ Weaver/Poje
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Tbl_Vjnp8Lo
3:28 in length
I have not watched it yet, but the description says, "CBCSports Pj speaks with ice dancers kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje about her injury in December 2012, her recovery and their prospects for competing at Worlds."​

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Weaver comments @ Canadian Nats (Jan 19)

Weaver comments @ Canadian Nats (Jan 19) -- from Canadian Press article as posted by TSN.

" This year's national championships is missing Canada's No. 2 dance duo -- Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje. Weaver broke her ankle when she fell and slid feet-first into the boards five weeks ago.

The fourth-place finishers at last year's world championships were at the Hershey Centre to watch Saturday's short dance, Weaver on crutches and wearing a black walking cast adorned with a white flower. They haven't given up hope of competing at the world championships in March in London, Ont.

"We're trying our very hardest to get back in time," said Weaver, a Waterloo, Ont., native. "We can't argue with the physiology and just make sure we're smart about it and of course, preparing for next year (Sochi Olympics) is of utmost importance.

"But you can bet your bottom dollar we're going to try everything to get back. We're not giving up yet, that's for sure."

While Weaver is spending long days doing rehab in Toronto, Poje has kept training at their base in Detroit, with coach Angelika Krylova -- a two-time world champion -- acting as his partner.

"We've got polka patterns next week so we'll see how that goes," he joked. "It's fun/scary. For me, not for her." "

Source: http://www.tsn.ca/figure_skating/story/?id=413980
The article is mostly about Virtue/Moir's SD.​

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Jan 22 article from International Figure Skating -- with quotes from Weaver, Poje, Camerlengo:

Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje
Taking it One Day at a Time

Excerpts:

When the injury occurred, Weaver was told she had to stay off her left foot for six to eight weeks — and the front end of that estimate is almost at hand.
“I have a doctor’s appointment next week and we’ll see what he says,” Weaver said. “It will be almost six weeks by then and that’s kind of the number I was aiming toward. It all depends on how the bone looks.
“No one knows how it’s going to react when I can weight bear and get the muscle strengthened.

[From Camerlengo:]
"But let’s say that in order to have them be ready to be competitive at Worlds, we need at least four weeks of full training. Not four weeks of just stroking around, but four weeks of good training to make them close to 100 percent.”

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Maybe with Worlds in Canada and P&B being injured they still see a medal opportunity if they can get back in time and it is why they are pushing against the odds to be ready. I hope they can be but dont risk themselves in a worse way.

Ces

Spectator
:bow: Please tell us all how Kaitlyn is doing :bow:

As some of the articles have already confirmed, she definitely still has both the crutches and the big walking cast on her left foot. I saw her at Canadian Nationals and was very impressed how patient she was with all the fans. I stood back and watched for a while as she signed autographs for an endless amount of kids while balancing precariously on her crutches. She's a real trooper.

Ravensque

On the Ice

Finishing my session at @articulatebod !!! Thank you Je-An! #roadtorecovery -KW pic.twitter.com/PvS8487R
Details

Looks like she has her cast off now

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
So, she isn't skating yet? There's no possibility for them to be at Worlds?

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Finishing my session at @articulatebod !!! Thank you Je-An! #roadtorecovery -KW pic.twitter.com/PvS8487R
Details

Looks like she has her cast off now

Thanks, Ravensque. :)
To make the photo more accessible, I've changed the URL into a click-able hyperlink my quote of your post above,

So, she isn't skating yet? There's no possibility for them to be at Worlds?

To paraphrase and recap comments that Weaver/Poje and Camerlengo gave to the press over the weekend (see posts above for some excerpts and links):
- They have not ruled out the possibility of competing at Worlds, but they are quick to add that she will not attempt to skate until/unless her body is ready.
- Their first priority is to compete at the Sochi Olympics, so they want to be sure that her body has time to heal properly and completely.
- They are emphatic that they will not take any medical risks by rushing her back to the ice prematurely. If sticking to that principle means that they will miss London Worlds, they reluctantly will have to live with that (as their eyes remain firmly fixed on the prize -- of Sochi).
- Even in the best-case scenario, the timing would be very tight. Camerlengo said that at a minimum, they will need four wks of full training (not just stroking) before Worlds.​

Last edited: