Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Kostner at Golden Spin of Zagreb (vids)

Custom Title
    The more I watch Bolero, the more I'm liking it. Carolina does it just right. There's no extraneous arm movement, no pulling up her legs for no reason. It was just so beautiful. Her 3Sal at the end of the program was so awesome, it made me sit up and rewatch immediately. This girl is experimenting with all sort of music her entire career. Always have interesting programs. Can't believe Lori Nichol did both programs. Maybe you need the skater to bring out the programs.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Her 3Sal at the end of the program was so awesome, it made me sit up and rewatch immediately.
    It was so utterly awesome that a < was put next to it just to indicate how awesome it was.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
    It was so utterly awesome that a < was put next to it just to indicate how awesome it was.

It is placed right at the VERY end after an amazing and exhausting 40sec step sequence, which is very risky and which makes it awesome?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggs View Post

It is placed right at the VERY end after an amazing and exhausting 40sec step sequence, which is very risky and which makes it awesome?
    +1

I really like Kostner' borelo and I think she has such a great interpretation; but now it look a bit like great dance program on ice and the program doesn't look completed, I hope she will add more transition and working with the details for future competition. This program can be another masterpieces, Kostner is the skater that make me appreciate Lori more.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guanchi View Post
    How can you criticize Kim's choreo as garbage, yet enjoy the decayed corpse of a Lori Nichol program skated by a posing zombie who has no sensuality to even begin to interpret bolero?
    Just because you use big hyperboles and metaphors it doesn't mean your post makes any sense.

Kostner is my favorite ladies skater currently competing. I think she's wonderful and has been getting Nichol's best and most creative efforts for years (yes, better than when Nichol was working with Chan). And so it is with real regret that I must say that I strongly dislike the Bolero LP. Leaving aside the question of whether it is ever a good idea to skate to music as iconoic as Bolero, I just don't think this is a good program, or one that does justice to Kostner's skills and strengths as a performer. I suspect if a skater of lesser reputation were to skate this same program, it would be criticized by some of the people who are now so positive about it - because it is seriously lacking in content and choreography between many of the elements, with some of the jumps more telegraphed than we've seen from Kostner in years. Also, there was enough dancing and posing in place for me to wonder if this was inspired by some of Florent Amodio's recent efforts.

I am really, really disappointed. Last year's LP was brilliant and it would have been hard to come close to that, but I didn't expect the quality to drop this sharply. I think this might be my least favorite LP that she's done, at least among those that I can remember.

I'll give the SP another chance because the quality of the video I saw was too poor for me to form an opinion.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Kostner is my favorite ladies skater currently competing. I think she's wonderful and has been getting Nichol's best and most creative efforts for years (yes, better than when Nichol was working with Chan). And so it is with real regret that I must say that I strongly dislike the Bolero LP. Leaving aside the question of whether it is ever a good idea to skate to music as iconoic as Bolero, I just don't think this is a good program, or one that does justice to Kostner's skills and strengths as a performer. I suspect if a skater of lesser reputation were to skate this same program, it would be criticized by some of the people who are now so positive about it - because it is seriously lacking in content and choreography between many of the elements, with some of the jumps more telegraphed than we've seen from Kostner in years. Also, there was enough dancing and posing in place for me to wonder if this was inspired by some of Florent Amodio's recent efforts.

I am really, really disappointed. Last year's LP was brilliant and it would have been hard to come close to that, but I didn't expect the quality to drop this sharply. I think this might be my least favorite LP that she's done, at least among those that I can remember.

I'll give the SP another chance because the quality of the video I saw was too poor for me to form an opinion.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I1DF...ature=youtu.be
    Here's the SP with better quality.

I can't believe it's a Lori Nichol program. It's just so different compare to her previous effort.
    And I said it every year when Caro debuts her new programs.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Just because you use big hyperboles and metaphors it doesn't mean your post makes any sense.
    Haha, shoot the messenger because the truth of the message is painfully obvious- Kostner's program is lifeless, but you enjoyed it anyways (and will crap on other's programs just to make yourself feel better). Oh well, good for you...

Quote Originally Posted by guanchi View Post
    Haha, shoot the messenger because the truth of the message is painfully obvious- Kostner's program is lifeless, but you enjoyed it anyways (and will crap on other's programs just to make yourself feel better). Oh well, good for you...
    I'm not sure if you realized that someone else actually mentioned Kim's comeback and referred to her as a "goddess" in a thread that's about Kostner's programs. I took it to mean the person was implying that Kim's programs are better. Did you expect to ignore that?

Because it is seriously lacking in content and choreography between many of the elements, with some of the jumps more telegraphed than we've seen from Kostner in years. Also, there was enough dancing and posing in place for me to wonder if this was inspired by some of Florent Amodio's recent efforts.

Stylistic preference aside, I don't see how this LP is so much worse than last year's LP content and inbetween-wise. I LOVED her Mozart LP, but it's not like it had that many inbetweens.

And so it is with real regret that I must say that I strongly dislike the Bolero LP.
    It's just not possible to skate to Bolero. (Torvill and Dean did what little could be done with it. )

The work was purportedly inspired by a trip that Ravel took to a factory with his dad, an engineer. Noise repeated 18 times exactly the same, with no development or counterpoint, getting louder and louder. Ravel's own staging of the work was an open air scene with a factory in the background. Ravel himself described the piece as "orchestral tissue without music." Modern day psychiatric researchers point to the repetitive droning as evidence of the onset of Alzheimer's.

(But other than that, Mathman, how did you like the concert? )

Custom Title
    I thought Stolbova/Klimov had a pretty fantastic interpretation of it.

Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Thank you. Having seen the Italian Nats version, I can now say that I like it more than the LP (it helps that it's not Bolero) but compared to last year... no. I can't think of another lady who could have pulled off the Shostakovich SP, while this one feels a lot more generic. I know Carolina is not a recycler of programs, but in this case I would love to see the return of some of her past programs, which seemed more uniquely her.

Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Stylistic preference aside, I don't see how this LP is so much worse than last year's LP content and inbetween-wise. I LOVED her Mozart LP, but it's not like it had that many inbetweens.
    There's a difference between not cluttered and empty. I didn't find the Mozart program empty, and creatively it was by far the more interesting effort.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I thought Stolbova/Klimov had a pretty fantastic interpretation of it.
    I don't like them. Something about her rubs me the wrong way.

BTW, see my response to Flattfan above; do you remember our discussion of style and range? I've figured it out. Kostner has both, but her style is better suited to certain parts of her range.

I got your program components right here. Pepe Nero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    It's just not possible to skate to Bolero. (Torvill and Dean did what little could be done with it. )

The work was purportedly inspired by a trip that Ravel took to a factory with his dad, an engineer. Noise repeated 18 times exactly the same, with no development or counterpoint, getting louder and louder. Ravel's own staging of the work was an open air scene with a factory in the background. Ravel himself described the piece as "orchestral tissue without music." Modern day psychiatric researchers point to the repetitive droning as evidence of the onset of Alzheimer's.
    Maybe that explains it.

I like Bolero as a piece of skating music, but my complaint about CK's FS is the same as what I don't like about lots of women's (and equally men's) free skates lately: waiting till all (or all but one) of the jumps are out of the way to begin performing. Skating like a zombie through 80% of the program and then being "emotional" on the last bit (to, I suppose, leave the judges with some lasting impression). CK did that here. She can improve, for sure. But her FS at this event was worthy of Christina Gao or Mirai Nagasu.

Custom Title
    Here is her clean Bolero program (6 Triples):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=IT&c...are&nomobile=1

Last edited by Itcaip; 12-22-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast