Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Kostner at Golden Spin of Zagreb (vids)

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Well...they sure scored her like a 5 x world champions, protocols forwarded from Chinese skating boards.

[url]http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy176/os168_photo/CarolinaKostner_zps4a56cb1e.jpg[/url]
    +GOE across the board on a double-footed Triple Lutz. LOL (sigh). It was a good performance but should have been scored at least 15 points lower.

Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Was her interpretation anything to do with the music was written about? The historical setting? Composer's intention? What's the concept can you identify behind the program? If you turn the music off and show it to another person, can they understand what she is trying to express and guess the music, can they clap to the beat?
    I don't know about Bolero but last year, when Lori choreographed her Mozart FS, Caro read Mozart's biography and studied the piece she was going to skate to, and she said in multiple Italian interviews that she felt she was skating to the "Lady Gaga of those years" and that "I love skating to Mozart because I know very well the background of this piece", so maybe it has been the same this year...
    I agree that she's sometimes skating to the same classical kind of music, but so is Yu-Na: you will never see Yu-Na/Caro skating to "I got rythm" like Mao or to a funny/light program, because it just isn't their style. Caro is always soft, elegant and classic, Yu-Na is always dramatic and energetic (excluding the early years, yes, but in those years her artistic abilities were not "her style" yet), Mao is really the only one who has experimented a variety in her style.
    And, for me, the ranking is:
    SS Caro>Yu-Na>Mao
    TR Yu-Na>Mao>Caro
    PE Caro>Yu-Na=Mao
    CH Caro>Mao>Yu-Na
    IN Yu-Na>Caro>Mao
    For the technical side, Caro has the best technique in all the jumps, except the lutz (which is obviously Yu-Na's), but don't forget that she is the only one in the world, at the moment, who is able to land seven clean triples among the top Senior Ladies (all the others have UR, "e" problems or they simply don't have one triple, like Yu-Na), she doesn't always have beautiful transitions before them but their height and quality is comparable just to Yu-Na's.
    So, for me the battle is Yu-Na vs Caro if they skate clean.
    (For the mods, can you create another thread for this interesting discussion?)

Yuna skated to a funny, light yet matured music, All of Me.

As others already mentioned earlier in this thread, it is very clear that Lori does not necessarily bring originaloty nor creativity for Caro since the choreos for Mozart LP and this Bolero LP take almost exactly same variation of well-known contemporary dance routines or ballet routines.
    Last edited by l'etoile; 12-23-2012 at 05:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    Yuna skated to a funny, light yet matured music, All of Me.

As others already mentioned earlier in this thread, it is very clear that Lori does not necessarily bring originaloty nor creativity for Caro since the choreos for Mozart LP and this Bolero LP take almost exactly same variation of well-known contemporary dance routines or ballet routines.
    It was an EX, Caro also skate to Mein Herr or Heavy Cross that were funny/light! Yes, I agree that her choreography are pretty the same in some parts, but every choreographer has his/her own style, so (is she wants a different choreography style) she would have to change it...

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    I agree that she's sometimes skating to the same classical kind of music, but so is Yu-Na: you will never see Yu-Na/Caro skating to "I got rythm" like Mao or to a funny/light program, because it just isn't their style. Caro is always soft, elegant and classic, Yu-Na is always dramatic and energetic (excluding the early years, yes, but in those years her artistic abilities were not "her style" yet), Mao is really the only one who has experimented a variety in her style.
    I thought Yuna's Die Fledermaus was light and funny. I admit that it was not a good choice for her, but at least she tried it
    I don't know why you excluded early years, but her Lark Ascending was lyrical and soft style, it was perfectly suited her. Beautiful choreography, interesting and difficult transitions..., It's one of her best programs, IMO.
    Is her Gershwin program energetic and dramatic? I thought it was elegant, classic, and playful at the same time.
    Her Arirang and Les Mis consists of various music cut - dynamic, energetic, but lyrical and soft at the same time. Yuna rarely uses monotonous, repetitive music.

Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    For the technical side, Caro has the best technique in all the jumps, except the lutz (which is obviously Yu-Na's), but don't forget that she is the only one in the world, at the moment, who is able to land seven clean triples among the top Senior Ladies (all the others have UR, "e" problems or they simply don't have one triple, like Yu-Na), she doesn't always have beautiful transitions before them but their height and quality is comparable just to Yu-Na's.
    I don't know why you didn't include Liza (perhaps you thought she's not a top senior skater?), but she is capable of landing seven clean triples. Actually she has more difficult content than Caro - 3Lz-3T and another 3Lz, some difficult jumps in second half of the program, transitions and flow in and out of the jumps, more consistency than Caro. She's a great jumper, IMO.
    Anyway, Caro has indeed great technique! ( her 3S, 3Lo, and 3F are fantastic!) However, compared to Yuna, she doesn't have transitions, flow, and speed in and out of the jumps.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by naan View Post
    I don't know why you didn't include Liza (perhaps you thought she's not a top senior skater?), but she is capable of landing seven clean triples. Actually she has more difficult content than Caro - 3Lz-3T and another 3Lz, some difficult jumps in second half of the program, transitions and flow in and out of the jumps, more consistency than Caro. She's a great jumper, IMO.
    Anyway, Caro has indeed great technique! ( her 3S, 3Lo, and 3F are fantastic!) However, compared to Yuna, she doesn't have transitions, flow, and speed in and out of the jumps.
    I agree about Liza, but she is more than 10 points behind in PCS to compete with Yuna, Mao or Carolina if the last three are close to clean.
    Comparing Yuna and Carolina's jumps, I agree on transitions in and out of the jumps, Yuna has the edge here. But flow and speed, here I disagree. Besides the 3Lz which Carolina rarely does today and Yuna has a monster lutz, Caro has the best 3F, 3S and 3L in the world IMO. Just watch the 3F she did at worlds in Nice, it's simply the best in the world

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    I agree about Liza, but she is more than 10 points behind in PCS to compete with Yuna, Mao or Carolina if the last three are close to clean.
    Comparing Yuna and Carolina's jumps, I agree on transitions in and out of the jumps, Yuna has the edge here. But flow and speed, here I disagree. Besides the 3Lz which Carolina rarely does today and Yuna has a monster lutz, Caro has the best 3F, 3S and 3L in the world IMO. Just watch the 3F she did at worlds in Nice, it's simply the best in the world
    Yes, I agree that Caro has one of the best 3S, 3Lo, and 3F Yuna's 3F is also great - height, power, and distance. Caro has overall excellent speed, but she usually slows down the speed going into the jumps - many of her jumps are telegraphed. As many commentators and experts said, Yuna's one of the great qualities is maintaining her speed going into her jumps, IMO. Even Kwan said that she has never seen such a speed from the ladies. In terms of flow, I got the impression that Yuna and Mao are better than Caro.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by naan View Post
    She doesn't have much transitions going into the jumps, but speed and flow, she definitely got plenty.

I would put Yuna's 3Flip on par with Carolina's when it comes to speed and flow: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UIGk5DHYXEE#t=74 s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UIGk5DHYXEE#t=74 s[/URL]

She used to go even faster and higher on it when she did it in combo with a 3T before the 09-10 season, but for a solo she's more gentle on the take-off and landing.

But Carolina definitely has the superior 3Salchow and 3Loop.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6