Elena Radionova sets high goals | Golden Skate

Elena Radionova sets high goals

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Elena Radionova is Russia’s skating wunderkind of the 2012-13 season. The 13-year-old dominated the Junior Grand Prix and capped it off with a clear victory at the Junior Grand Prix Final of Figure Skating earlier this month.

More...

skatinginbc

Medalist
“I would like to talk to Mao Asada,” said Radionova. :) Indeed, Elena reminds me of young Asada. That wunderkind is gonna be huge someday, mark my words. Not many skaters impress me. She is one of the exceptions. Yes, her skating is childlike right now, but there is magic about her performance that makes me smile all the way through--so pleasant to watch.

She had some outstanding skills to make her special (e.g., mostly +3 for her LSp4) unlike Kaetlyn Osmond, who completed a lot of elements but none of them stood out (If you don't agree, check the GOEs of her SC).

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
“I would like to talk to Mao Asada,” said Radionova. :) Indeed, Elena reminds me of young Asada. That wunderkind is gonna be huge someday, mark my words. Not many skaters impress me. She is one of the exceptions. Yes, her skating is childlike right now, but there is magic about her performance that makes me smile all the way through--so pleasant to watch.

She had some outstanding skills to make her special (e.g., mostly +3 for her LSp4) unlike Kaetlyn Osmond, who competed a lot of elements but none of them stood out (If you don't agree, check the GOEs of her SC).

She's a 13 year old jumping bean right now. Let's see where she is in 2-3 years when she's grown. As we've seen with Adelina and Liza who dominated at the same age they have been bothered with puberty and growth spurts.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
She's a 13 year old jumping bean right now. Let's see where she is in 2-3 years when she's grown. As we've seen with Adelina and Liza who dominated at the same age they have been bothered with puberty and growth spurts.

Hey! I'm waiting, when you write good things about the russian skaters.. :) But I disagree...Adelina and Liza has the first season in seniors, they are 15 and 16 y.o. hm. Liza had problem with puberty but he didn't lose her jumps, and was injured.. Rodionova has totally different body type like Liza's.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Hey! I'm waiting, when you write good things about the russian skaters.. :) But I disagree...Adelina and Liza has the first season in seniors, they are 15 and 16 y.o. hm. Liza had problem with puberty but he didn't lose her jumps, and was injured.. Rodionova has totally different body type like Liza's.

Not that different, IMO, after comparing pictures of 2011 Liza and 2012 Elena. Sure, Elena's leggier than Liza was, which gives her some leeway with weight gain, but what I saw last year and see now is two slim, lean girls with pre-pubescent bodies and huge jumps. I have the same worries for Julia Lipnitskaia, who isn't much older than Elena and will certainly be hitting the weight gain/growth spurt stage very soon.

babayaga

On the Ice
Will Elelna be able to participate in adult GP next season or the new age rule will start working already?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I think Radionova (I love that name, its easy to spell ....radio plus nova) is in a good place....in five years she will be 18 for that olympics and will have made it through the tough years, or not.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Radinova is not built like Liza or Adelina pre-puberty, neither of them were as narrow or long-legged as she is, if anything she's built like Shelepen was when she first competed on JGP, but maybe a couple inches shorter. If Shelepen was a couple inches shorter with her current body build, she'd have the ideal body for figure skating, so most likely that is what Radinova will end up being built like so I don't see her having issues.

LRK

Record Breaker
I like what she says here:

"Radionova would also like to compete with the seniors next year.

“To try at least,” she said. “I like to skate with them. You watch them and they are skating better and faster than you are, so you are drawn to them. You want to be like them or even better. My skating is still kids’ skating, everybody according to his age. I can’t yet skate like them. I need to work more on my skating skills. I am still small and I need to grow a little and it will look different. The other girls grew up and they look different on the ice, so graceful.” "

I love it that she wants to skate with the seniors BECAUSE they are better than her.

As for how she will grow and change and how that will affect her... Well, personally, I don't have the foggiest; will just have to wait and see...