Galindo, Nichol Named to U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame | Golden Skate

Galindo, Nichol Named to U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Three-time U.S. champion Rudy Galindo and choreographer Lori Nichol have been elected to the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame Class of 2013. The induction will be held in conjunction with the 2013 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships Jan. 20-27 in Omaha, Neb.

More

Tremendous news! I'm so glad both of these fine contributors to American skating have been recognized.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Kristi Yamaguchi ‏@kristiyamaguchi
A heartfelt congratulations to Rudy Galindo on the US Hall of Fame! You've touched skating & my life in such an amazing way. #inspiration
11:55 AM - 17 Dec 12​

Riemann

Rinkside
Very glad for Galindo. I wish he had been inducted last time so his ceremony would have been in San Jose, but such is life.

Last edited:

Vicky458

On the Ice
Thrilled for Rudy. he deserves this. I am puzzled about Lori. I thought to be inducted in the US Hall of fame you had to be american.

I think Lori Nichol was born in the U.S.A. She married a Canadian man and moved to Canada.

Actually, I don't think you have to be an American to be in the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame. Just someone who made a big contribution to skating in the U.S. British subject John Nicks is in the hall and so is Italian Carlo Fassi.

ivy

On the Ice
Surprising how emotional this news made me, especially after hard weekend. Go Rudy! Glad to see Kristi still has her former partners back too

I think Lori Nichol was born in the U.S.A. She married a Canadian man and moved to Canada.

Actually, I don't think you have to be an American to be in the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame. Just someone who made a big contribution to skating in the U.S. British subject John Nicks is in the hall and so is Italian Carlo Fassi.

She has certainly made a contribution to American skating. If she had just been Michelle Kwan's choreographer, she would deserve to be in the U.S. hall of fame. But she's also choreographed for many other Americans, including Evan Lysacek the year he won the OGM. Of course, considering her other contributions, she might also end up in the Canadian hall of fame (for Jamie and David among others) and the Chinese hall of fame (for Shen and Zhao). I wouldn't complain!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That's an interesting trivia question...has any skater/team/coach/choreographer/whatever been in 2 or more different countries hall of fame?

OMG at first I thought, "Maaaaan, Rudy wouldn't get inducted if Lori is up!" then I realized, they CAN induct more than one personelle to the HOF. So HAPPY for both of them!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Rudy & Lori! Re: Rudy, I wish it had happened last year in San Jose, but better late than never. I think it's so cool that he coaches Kristi & Brett's daughter Emma.

Icey

Record Breaker
OT When did Kristi move to California? I thought she lived in North Carolina.

Bret Hedican had a home in North Carolina when he played for the Carolina Hurricanes (they won the Stanley cup in 2006). I think that was their primary residence while he was there. Besides a house in California, I think they also have, or had, a house in St. Paul, Minnesota, which is Bret's home town.

Trivia: Hedican was once traded (from Vancouver to Florida) in a deal that also involved Brad Ference, Michelle' Kwan's ex-boyfriend. :)