Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Galindo, Nichol Named to U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame

yup Canada has several sports hall of fames.

Yeay!!!!!!!! This is great news....man, this is going to be fun to see live and in color!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anyone wanna bet on a standing ovation?
    YMCA!

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Yeay!!!!!!!! This is great news....man, this is going to be fun to see live and in color!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anyone wanna bet on a standing ovation?
    YMCA!

about darn time-galindo 19956 nationals-one of the gret men's comeback skates. loved it then, still do. YMCA was fab u lous! And Lori-finally-MK would have been so much less without Lori's work. Who whooo!

Custom Title
    Congrats to Rudi & Lori!

I'm a bit surprised that Russia, as far as I know, doesn't have a figure skating hall of fame.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Yes, Kurt has been inducted into something. (If you ask me, he should be inducted into everything!)
    Oh, yeah!

Custom Title
    The International Jewish Sports Hall of Fame honors figure skaters. Irina was elected to it 2009. Sarah Hughes was also elected.

http://www.jewishsports.net/BioPages...ureSkating.htm

Custom Title
    Let's not forget Rudy's success in pairs. They were brilliantly synchronous jumpers and spinners as well as overall very good pair skaters. They had tons of potential as a team trying innovative movements and sbs jumps which did not become common until recently. Sadly, there were just not enough hours in the day for them to pursue both disciplines at the same time. So they split just as they were coming into their own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62iI8SbLm-I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_ml-B0F3c0

What's interesting is that for about 6 years the best pairs skater in the country, except perhaps Todd Sand, was sitting on the sidelines of pairs events and struggling to reestablish his singles career. Thankfully he succeeded and both he and Kristi have remained close friends who achieved their goals.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoates View Post
    ... Thankfully he succeeded and both he and Kristi have remained close friends who achieved their goals. ...
    They had not always "remained" close friends, had they? My recollection is that the end of their partnership caused quite a rift in their personal friendship.
    That is why I am so pleased that Yamaguchi chose Galindo as her daughter's coach. Such a huge compliment seems to indicate that any hard feelings of the past now are behind them.
    Last edited by golden411; 12-19-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Rinkside
    Thrilled for Rudy and Nichol!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! Really enjoyed those....I love that entrance to the death spiral.....
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoates View Post
    Let's not forget Rudy's success in pairs. They were brilliantly synchronous jumpers and spinners as well as overall very good pair skaters. They had tons of potential as a team trying innovative movements and sbs jumps which did not become common until recently. Sadly, there were just not enough hours in the day for them to pursue both disciplines at the same time. So they split just as they were coming into their own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62iI8SbLm-I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_ml-B0F3c0

What's interesting is that for about 6 years the best pairs skater in the country, except perhaps Todd Sand, was sitting on the sidelines of pairs events and struggling to reestablish his singles career. Thankfully he succeeded and both he and Kristi have remained close friends who achieved their goals.

Funny story. In Nov 2008 I was at Pacific Coast Sectionals and Rudy and his student were sitting two bleacher rows ahead of me, so I said to the other fan (next to me) a bit loud, "Boy, I sure wish Rudy would go out there and skate YMCA!" He turned around and gave me a big ole smile....wonderful memory....man it was cold in the Coyote Rink but the other three fans and I had a great time. Got to see Lynn and Logan skate seniors too.
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    about darn time-galindo 19956 nationals-one of the gret men's comeback skates. loved it then, still do. YMCA was fab u lous! And Lori-finally-MK would have been so much less without Lori's work. Who whooo!

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    That moment was so great. Not only a story of one man triumphing over hardship, but it had a much bigger meaning to the "community" given his openness and the then-recent history of the many losses of beautiful, gay, male skaters to AIDS. And despite his being poz since at least 2000, Galindo is still with us today. A victory in so many ways.
    Last edited by Riemann; 12-24-2012 at 12:55 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
    That moment was so great. Not only a story of one man triumphing over hardship, but it had a much bigger meaning to the "community" given his openness and the then-recent history of the many losses of beautiful, gay, male skaters to AIDS. And despite his being poz since at least 2000, Galindo is still with us today. A victory in so many ways.
    It is great to see Rudy happy and healthy living with HIV. That horrible disease wiped out almost an entire generation of gay men, including some of my friends. To have the courage to be public with that and let others know you can still achieve great things with your life while battling a chronic disease is IMO his greatest contribution to this world.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3