Longevity at the top taken for granted | Golden Skate

Longevity at the top taken for granted

apache88

On the Ice
Many people conveniently forget how tough it is to put up a great performance year after year after year. Many people conveniently forget just how difficult it is to skate a clean LP with at least 6 triples year after year after year, nevermind that there's not a single 3/3.

It makes me wonder how anyone could call Michelle being technically deficient with 6 triples in major competitions yet in front of their very own eyes, their favourites alongside other techinician skaters have failed to deliver even 2 LP's with at least 6 triples per year. It makes me wonder if people think through logic. When Michelle wins by competing less, she's "cheating" because she has had enought rest and when she so-called "faltered" in her SP, they'd think she had competed too little, hence she asked for it. I said this before and will say it again, lack of competitions or "match-play" is as detrimental to an athlete as overcompeting. Overcompeting exhausts you and lack of competitions makes you suddenly become alien to the competition atmosphere as far as confidence and performance are concerned. So, I wasn't surprised at all at her less than sharp performance in SP.

Last but not least, BRAVO MICHELLE!! I'm amazed once again.:)

Last edited:
Apache,
Who is saying such things? From what I've seen on GS, people have had nothing but the highest praise for Michelle--praise and amazement, but also not amazed because Michelle does this year in and year out, but amazed because of your point, that it is so difficult. People have said, "I'm not a Michelle fan but she had me in tears with her performance" or "but I can see she really is probably the greatest skater ever." At least that's what I'm getting from the posts on GS. If they're saying what you've pointed out on other forums, then you're right, they're not thinking logically. They're not thinking or seeing period. Some people have agendas. No matter what actually happens, they see things a certain way. That's just life. I'm sounding like I'm lecturing you, lol--sorry!

Anyway, forget anybody who doesn't get how magnificent Michelle is. Just forget 'em. Even without skates on, Michelle would still be hovering just above the earth, as writer Norman Maclean says in his memoir/novel "A River Runs Through It," "like a perfect work of art."
Rgirl

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
You know, I was thinking, right after Kwan was done with that absolutely marvelous long program -- when she's like 70 years old and looking back on her accomplishments, which one, out of all the competitions she's won and all the BRILLIANT programs, is going to stand out in her mind? Most skaters would kill to have even ONE beautiful night like the dozens Michelle has had. She's just amazing. Absolutely amazing.

apache88

On the Ice
Rgirl let me clarify, lest I be misunderstood by posters here. First, I do apologize if I appeared to be bringing negativity here. No, it wasn't my intent. It was just my passing comment on what I had read elsewhere. At GS, you're right, generally every poster here has respect for one another and other skaters. That's why no matter how many other FS boards I have lurked at, GS remains the best general skating forum for me. This is where I feel the most comfortable. But really, stupid me, you're right, why let some black sheep spoil it for me. :)

Thanks for clarifying, Apache. We all let those black sheep get to us sometimes. As they say on the Sopranos, "Fuggedaboudit.":) Glad you like to lurk here.
Rgirl

TechMom

Rinkside
Apache88, I caught that comment about Sasha being more technically proficient too. Egg on your faces, Peggy and Dick!

In my opinion, Michelle is the smart one. Rather than train, train, train, do the GP series, train, do an ice show tour, train, train, do amateur competitions, train, train, and have a personal life, she assessed what she was spending time on and cut it back to what she was comfortable with. Does anyone think that some of the injuries that these athletes get are rooted in overuse of their bodies - aka overtraining, overcompeting, overtouring? Back in the 60's and 70's, skaters only had to concentrate on qualifying for Nationals and Worlds. We don't necessarily need to go back to that, but there's something to be said for the adage "less is more".

I sure wish I'd been in Atlanta to see that comp - there's something special about seeing Michelle live.

Piel,
ROFLMAO over "Mama." (I keep thinking of Queen Latifah's character in "Chicago"--except Queen's "Mama" was very likable, lol.) How funny that, according to Mama, Sarah can now "skate circles around Michelle." :laugh: Not what we heard from Mama in '02 after Sarah won the Olympics, LOL!

TechMom,
Very true that Michelle has found a great balance, but for almost 10 years she did the same thing Sasha, Jenny, and other ladies around the world are doing. Michelle has earned the right to choose her competitions. We may look at events such as the IFCS as "cheezefests" but the USFSA and ISU don't. They put a lot of money into them and expect the marquee names to be there for both ticket sales and TV ratings. I'm all for the way Michelle is handling her schedule, but she's proved herself. Skaters like Jenny and Sasha are still trying to prove themselves AND get the kind of experience Michelle has. Let's not forget that Michelle too did the "train, train, train, do the GP series, train, do an ice show tour, train, train, do amateur competitions, train, train" from at least '95 through '02. I don't disagree that there is probably too many competitive expectations put on today's skaters and that it does put them at risk for overuse injuries, but it also allows them the opportunity to make money, which pays for coaching, costuming, all kinds of things. I just think it's an oversimplification to expect skaters who are not either Michelle or Irina to to only do what they feel is right for them.
Rgirl

Longevity is the essence of artistic achievement. there is nothing wrong with being a wunderkind but productivity through the years brings something special to the artist. Think Bach, think Da Vinci; think Shakespeare; think Kwan!

Nothing wrong with a meteoric rise to fame. Andy said it's good for 15 minutes but then there is so much more for the so few.

Joe

curious

Final Flight
That's what happens with Plush. He and Michell always win because they are the most consistent. :D

TechMom

Rinkside
Piel, is "Momma" who I think it is? Happens to have a very talented daughter who just hasn't quite gotten it together when the pressure is on?

Somebody clue me in!! Nothing like watching a good temper tantrum in motion!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I tried going to a S. Cohen forum today and you have to join. Is this the main one?

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Longevity

I also think that longevity is actually one of the biggest reasons that Michelle is so revered in the skating world. She did not just have one great skate in a major event and enjoy 15 seconds of fame. She maintained excellence year in and year out for what is effectively two amateur skating lifetimes (possibly three if she makes it to 2006). After over 10 years in the sport she's always there with at best an out-of-this-world skate and at worst a solid performance. She is just someone you can count on. People respect that.

I also like that GS is so fair-minded to all the skaters. There are definitely some other places which seem to harbor sore losers with an agenda, or in other cases, arrogant winners who like to kick someone when they're down.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Seonaid920 {quoting another poster}
"I couldn't believe Dick was saying she doesn't skate with heart and couple of times said that she is the better TECHNICAL skater."

How can Sasha be a better TECHNICAL skater when she fell 7 times in her last 3 competitions?

Sasha doesn't skate with her heart, at least she didn't at Nationals. She looked grim, even before she fell, and it was very noticeable during her spiral, where she had grinned ear to ear during the GP.