2013 Japanese Nationals Men | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2013 Japanese Nationals Men

Hanaka

Rinkside
Hanyu's win is pretty much set.

I'm not so sure about Hanyu winning. I'm a bit worried about him. He looked pale and tired, and didn't look so healthy. Did you notice he was out of breath when he finished SP? Still, awesome job in the not so good condition and under such tense and pressure. Thinking that he has just become 18, I agree with people who say he is a monster.

Niki2012

Rinkside
97 is huge score. Hanyu is overscored again.
Lets see if his stamina lasts to the end tomorrow.
I am hugely disappointed by Kozuka`s score. I thought his performance was better than GPF.
Anyway, I will be glad if he manages to be on podium tomorrow.

mikeko666

Final Flight
I don't think his win is "set". Yuzuru has never managed a clean LP and artistically that program is actually less valuable as far as I am concerned than his SP.

Do you remember ladies singles at NHK?

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
herios said:
I don't think his win is "set". Yuzuru has never managed a clean LP and artistically that program is actually less valuable as far as I am concerned than his SP.

I completly agree that Hanyu's win isn't set - especially since at national competitions scores tend to be higher in general, and an 8 point lead is not worth as much as in an international event. And the men started to post crazily high scores anyway.
But even if Hanyu isn't likely to skate a clean LP - how many of these man are to begin with? Takahasi, Kozuka, Oda?
Additionally, Hanyu became better with his FS last season from event to event too - till now, he did the same in his 3 GP events. I don't expect him to have a complete meltdown again.

Anyway, no matter what he does tomorrow, I'm still in awe he just managed a score like that for the 3rd time this season! If he just continues like that in his worlds SP (at this point, there's no way he's not making the team), I think he might just break his own record again! And again, I already had high expectations for him before the season started, and he just surpassed them... I'm a little afraid what he'll be like next year :laugh:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
It's another world record for Yuzuru isn't it?

I agree he looked very exhausted after the SP. I think he might be still a bit sick? I guess, that's why he wasn't looking THAT excited, because he knows he is still weak and tomorrow the LP will be hard. He is not unbeatable.

I miss Nanami Abe. Does she have another skater as a coach? Was she at the Nationals? I want to see her. ;)

Nadia01

Final Flight
He looked a bit tired, but at the same time his lead is so big that he can afford to botch a few jumps. I don't think Dai or Kozuka is going to go clean tomorrow.

Everettguy

Rinkside
Ok I think Yuzuru is an excellent skater. He actually reminds me a bit of Jeremy Abbott. Now with that said, I don't see why he posted such a high score. Dai may have had some glitches but overall - come on! Much more personality with Dai. I think the Japanese Fed is obviously pushing for Yuzuru through Sochi. That's what I am starting to think. On another note. Poor Oda, I feel like no mater what he does out there, because he isn't a favorite, he has no chance. And I know sometimes he screws it for himself but I still hope he gets a fair shake. The depth overall of Japanese men is amazing I must say!

Riemann

Rinkside
It's another world record for Yuzuru isn't it?

If this were an international event, yes. But nationals don't count for that, which is good, given how feds tend to treat these events. Guys like Chan would have some obscenely high scores in the record books if it were otherwise.

I agree he looked very exhausted after the SP. I think he might be still a bit sick? I guess, that's why he wasn't looking THAT excited, because he knows he is still weak and tomorrow the LP will be hard. He is not unbeatable.

Definitely not unbeatable, but close to it.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Ok I think Yuzuru is an excellent skater. He actually reminds me a bit of Jeremy Abbott. Now with that said, I don't see why he posted such a high score. Dai may have had some glitches but overall - come on! Much more personality with Dai. I think the Japanese Fed is obviously pushing for Yuzuru through Sochi. That's what I am starting to think. On another note. Poor Oda, I feel like no mater what he does out there, because he isn't a favorite, he has no chance. And I know sometimes he screws it for himself but I still hope he gets a fair shake. The depth overall of Japanese men is amazing I must say!

True re: Oda, but he can't even scream "I wuz robbed" because he DID have a fall in short, and such errors are heavily penalized.

Riemann

Rinkside
Ok I think Yuzuru is an excellent skater. He actually reminds me a bit of Jeremy Abbott. Now with that said, I don't see why he posted such a high score. Dai may have had some glitches but overall - come on! Much more personality with Dai.

Takahashi received slightly higher PCS. Where Hanyu kicked his butt was in TES. He scored about ten points higher than Takahashi in that area. Those glitches add up and Hanyu deservedly receives very positive GOE.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Okay, I am back to life...Just watching it on TV live, I was literally out of breath for 2 hours...>< >< >< I am not sure how I can survive tomorrow's Free skate. :eek:

-Yuzuru was just amaging. I thought he would score 100.
-Glad Dai and Takahiko could save that landing on their 4T. Tech panel was too harsh, I thought, for e-call for Dai's 3Lz, though.
-Sad to see Nobu went down on his opening quad...My hubby and I talked about him before the SP, and agreed that he is the one who needs to win J-Nats the most if he wants to go to the Worlds.
-What a shame Takahito only placed 4th with that great skate...His skating order; first to skate among the top six, played a role, maybe? Did not get enough love from the judges tonight, I mean, the well-deserved GOE for his huge jumps and better PCS.
-Great skates from Kento Nakamura and Akio Sasaki! :)

Overall, a good competition for me! Thank you, all the boys! And sleep well tonight. The real battle begins tomorrow! :cool:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
What a great event for the audience :clap: I wish my sentimental favorite Oda had done better and been closer to Kozuka and Machida. To make it even more exciting tomorrow. I'm so really impressed by Yusuru :bow: I predict Daisuke will beat him in FS, but not overall.

Deedee1 lucky you! I am sure you will survive tomorrow's FS. Actually I think excitement like this does GOOD for our bodies and souls :biggrin:

Good luck to all skaters tomorrow :party2:

fairly4

Medalist
congratulations to Hanyu great job,
great job from Takashi and Tahiko . great competition in short.

good luck to all in long.

seems to me the little bobbles hurt, takashi and tahiko. otherwise great skate from all men.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Do you remember ladies singles at NHK?
:rofl: That was brutal! Well, Mao could survive that fake win due to her built-up reputation and popularity as a cash cow. While Yuzu doesn't have this advantage. What else did you expect from judges? He was grossly overscored at international events, it's not like they should judge him soberer at Nationals. Hanyuflation works only to decredite those J-guys who can beat PC and Plu at Oly for real- first of all Dai and Kozuka. As for J-Fed and their policy as someone put it here, that's quite clear that they don't believe in Yuzu after Sochi. So they want to use him now. They way how they questionably judged Dai's quad and lutz' edge says more then enough. Looks like Nanami Abe was the only person who actually cared about him and his long-term career equal to Mao's or Dai's.

Protocols :laugh: :
http://twitpic.com/bnxbdx
http://twitpic.com/bnx7rs
http://twitpic.com/bnx564
http://twitpic.com/bnx2sx

Oda:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgQbZHyL71U

Dai (better quality):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPJ_6AzECIk

NMURA

Medalist
I completly agree that Hanyu's win isn't set - especially since at national competitions scores tend to be higher in general, and an 8 point lead is not worth as much as in an international event.

This point gap is harder to fill than international competitions. Because the judges (i.e. JSF) are obviously setting their minds on crowning Hanyu to be THE favorite for Sochi. Takahashi might have thought that he could regain the #1 position at GPF. But that seems to be an illusion.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
This point gap is harder to fill than international competitions. Because the judges (i.e. JSF) are obviously setting their minds on crowning Hanyu to be THE favorite for Sochi. Takahashi might have thought that he could regain the #1 position at GPF. But that seems to be an illusion.

I don't understand your train of thought. Hanyu's score I thought was deserved. He beat Dai fair and square in the SP at this competition. I don't see
any JSF involvement with the scoring at this competition.

NMURA

Medalist
I don't understand your train of thought. Hanyu's score I thought was deserved. He beat Dai fair and square in the SP at this competition. I don't see
any JSF involvement with the scoring at this competition.

I think 10 point gap is too much in the light of Japanese nationals traditions (where seniority order is very much respected). The caller could overlook Takahashi's slight UR and the judges could give more PCS advantages to him. This is the sign of their collective determination. In almost very year, the favorite is held up strongly at Japanese nationals. This year is no exception.

Lunna

On the Ice
I'm not so sure about Hanyu winning. I'm a bit worried about him. He looked pale and tired, and didn't look so healthy. Did you notice he was out of breath when he finished SP? Still, awesome job in the not so good condition and under such tense and pressure. Thinking that he has just become 18, I agree with people who say he is a monster.
I'm a bit worried too. Hope his FS will be OK.

Kozuka was flying. I think his PCS should be higher and Dai's 4T looked good to me.
I don't like Mura's programms very much but his 4T and 3A are huge :eek:

Last edited: