2013 Japanese Nationals Men | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2013 Japanese Nationals Men

pitterpatter

On the Ice
And then he changed his planned 3Lz-2T into a 3Lz-3T.
Like I've said, the scores are inflated but not by that much IMO. And I also think Patrick is still the one to beat as neither Dai or Yuzuru showed they are consistent enough to lock the gold medal at worlds. But you have to admit both Yuzuru and Dai closed the gap and Patrick won't afford to make the same mistakes he did in France

I think we basically agree then. I don't think Patrick is going to have any sort of a margin for error either, I was just saying that you can't count Patrick out and that Dai and Yuzu definitely don't have a 1-2 finish all locked up.

Morning Glory

On the Ice
Congratulations to all the medalists!!!
Now I am exhausted cause it was too exciting to watch...!!

I am exhausted, too :biggrin: I don't know how many times I shouted to the television.I was most excited with Dai's program. I was not a fan of this year's program, but today I fell in love with it! Only if he landed 2nd 4T cleanly!

I think Yuzuru deserved to win, but I don't feel for his FP. And he still has stamina problem, apparently lost the speed at the end.

Sad for Machida. I heard he changed his shoes after CoC and it didn't work well.

Kalina

On the Ice
Dai's second quad was marked "<"?? That is why he lost? He was penalized twice for mistakes he didn't made, it's unfair

Takeshi Honda talked about Dai's quad being underrotated while watching the replay of his SP yesterday, and the scores weren't up by then, so why do you think he was penalized by a mistake he didn't make?
Also, I don't think that they would give him 96 in PCS (6 points more than what he got at the GPF) if they wanted to keep his score down.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Takeshi Honda talked about Dai's quad being underrotated while watching the replay of his SP yesterday, and the scores weren't up by then, so why do you think he was penalized by a mistake he didn't make?
Also, I don't think that they would give him 96 in PCS (6 points more than what he got at the GPF) if they wanted to keep his score down.

I totally agree on this point re: Dai's short. Honda was very clear that Dai's 4T was going to be UR'd by the tech panel during slo-mo, and he was right. I don't think there was any weirdness going on. Honda has no reason to campaign against Dai or for Hanyu.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I totally agree on this point re: Dai's short. Honda was very clear that Dai's 4T was going to be UR'd by the tech panel during slo-mo, and he was right. I don't think there was any weirdness going on. Honda has no reason to campaign against Dai or for Hanyu.

Ok, then I take back what I said about him being penalized twice unfairly. But what about today's quad? I keep looking at it in slow motion and I can't see how that was more than 1/4 short on rotation to get "<"

starryxskies

On the Ice
I'm glad Dai can think on the spot/came prepared with a plan incase his second quad goes a little wanky. The 2T and 3T switching was great. I'm really happy for him that he won the FS! It was very amazing. That deduction... I mean, he was finished/about to finish. That's a little rough isn't it? =/ Sometimes I really can't agree with the rules.
But I'm really glad that he was able to go clean today. He wasn't fully happy with his GPF win with his FS mistakes and coming in 3rd and all, so I'm glad. Take away national inflation and this skate still would've pulled in the points at an ISU event. Despite coming in second, I think he's walking away with confidence in his FS, which is good for him in the long run.

I hope going to Worlds as Japan's #2 won't affect his scores that much though.

I'm really sad for Kozuka...I would like Mura to go and he's earned it, but his results at his GP events were very very inconsistent. A 1st and an 8th? I don't know if JSF should gamble on this. So I would definitely send him to 4CC to prove he can do this again. If he cracks, I would give him another year to prove he can handle international pressure and move on down the line for Worlds 2013. Although it's tough between Oda and Kozuka considering their gap was also fairly wide...

Can't wait to see the others, thanks in advance for the links! :)

NMURA

Medalist
I'm really sad for Kozuka...I would like Mura to go and he's earned it, but his results at his GP events were very very inconsistent. A 1st and an 8th? I don't know if JSF should gamble on this.

There's no gamble. Hanyu and Takahashi can gurantee three spots. In that sense, Kozuka is not needed this time. Mura is younger than Kozuka and his 4T is much more reliable. I think he is expected to be #2 man after Sochi. In due course, even Sochi can be a realistic goal. If someone stands on the podium, the JSF is ready to send him to worlds/olympics. Otherwise, they don't allow that to happen.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
There's no gamble. Hanyu and Takahashi can gurantee three spots. In that sense, Kozuka is not needed this time. Mura is younger than Kozuka and his 4T is much more reliable. I think he is expected to be #2 man after Sochi. In due course, even Sochi can be a realistic goal. If someone stands on the podium, the JSF is ready to send him to worlds/olympics. Otherwise, they don't allow that to happen.

Yes, Mura is quite young and I have the feeling that he is somewhat considered a next generation skater (after Daisuke, Oda).

I honestly feel sad for Kozuka (his programs are always so beautiful and his skating is awesome) and to some extent even for Oda. BUT Mura deserves this. It would be extremely unfair to say, hey, you are inconsistent so even though you're the bronze medalist others have a reputation to keep so you will stay at home. Mura deserves to go to Worlds. He was better than the others and that's what you get.

Nadia01

Final Flight
I agree. Japan's going to get 3 spots to Sochi based on Dai & Hanyu's placements at the worlds. Mura doesn't have to be perfect, and he did EARN his bronze. Kozuka and Oda failed to live up to their potential tonight, and there's nothing they can say about that. The placement was fair based on what they actually did on the ice.

My guess is Top 3 for the Worlds, and Dai, Oda and Kozua for 4CC possibly. (I'm just not sure if they're going to make Hanyu travel back to Canada to train w/ Orser, then come back for 4CC, then go back to Canada for the worlds in Canada)

let`s talk

Match Penalty
You people are amazing! How do you know what Takeshi could or couldn't see in his commentator's booth. You were there? You obvously won't. Then where your conclusion come from I wonder. It's a common practice for a TV commentator to see the score and protocols earlier than it shows up on arenas/TV. Judges's cheating on scoring Dai's 4T and e on 3L in SP was quite costy considering the final JN result.

The Daisuke FS was a charmingly brutal stuff towards all the skaters who had to skate after him. None of them could collect their nerves and power. The overheating audence full of D1SK support left no doubts who they really wanted to win. I admire their feeling of the skater's needs when they 'switched off' their noise to let him concentrate on elements and explode it when it was comfortable for the skater. His expression of music and respect to the paiyng customers made the people once again feel happy for the moment that they were there. Dai's FS was fashionable art flow worthy of the Royal Grand Opera&Ballet House with all its luxury and sophistication. I am waiting for the protocols to see where exactly the shameful judges found the trick to give him the same TES as they gave to Hanyu for his skating of a sick kid with no clean quads and spins with a hunchback material. The 5 points difference in PCS was a too lame move. Hanyu wasn't just slow. He looked like a sick yellowish kid who lost his speed before he started. Not a surprise that now his mother doesn't want him to go anywhere without her. It wasn't like that last season when he was younger and trained with Abe&B/B. Probably the mommy realized too that her kid is being used like a disposable material by JSF and her feeling of a mother is quite understandable. I feel sorry for Hanyu because unlike his Canadan coworker he is a more talented skater to be oversored. He didn't look championshish on the podium when he was looking right at the Dai's side when the officials were gving cups (Fuji TV wasn't generous enough to show more).

I am abnormally happy for Mura. Now he just must use his chance that he got after all his injuries and whatever. Go, man! :rock:

Last edited:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I agree. Japan's going to get 3 spots to Sochi based on Dai & Hanyu's placements at the worlds. Mura doesn't have to be perfect, and he did EARN his bronze. Kozuka and Oda failed to live up to their potential tonight, and there's nothing they can say about that. The placement was fair based on what they actually did on the ice.

My guess is Top 3 for the Worlds, and Dai, Oda and Kozua for 4CC possibly. (I'm just not sure if they're going to make Hanyu travel back to Canada to train w/ Orser, then come back for 4CC, then go back to Canada for the worlds in Canada)

If Japanese federation arranged to have both Dai and Yuzuru skate at NHK trophy even though they both won medals at worlds and should not have met until the GPF, I am we we'll see both Yuzuru and Dai at 4 continents since it will be in Japan

pitterpatter

On the Ice

Yeah I'm wondering about Yuzuru making the trip back to Japan as well, but he's the Japanese Champion so I'm not sure if there's an expectation for him to be there. His team might also want to use the competition as a test event to try out some of the stuff they're working on for Worlds, it really comes down to their strategy.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Ha-ha. Basically, you are saying that making a trip to 4CC for a little kid is kind of a burden. But he is a Japanese champion now! When was it when Dai or Kozuka refused to go to 4CC just because it was too tough for them? And then the similar people critisize Plu for not showing up in a fake London, even if unlike in Hanyu case, Plu has actually a real reason for doing that.

Dai and Kozuka both train in Japan, so the situation's far different for this year's 4CC.

StellaCampo

On the Ice
The Daisuke FS was a charmingly brutal stuff towards all the skaters who had to skate after him. None of them could collect their nerves and power. The overheating audence full of D1SK support left no doubts who they really wanted to win. I admire their feeling of the skater's needs when they 'switched off' their noise to let him concentrate on elements and explode it when it was comfortable for the skater. His expression of music and respect to the paiyng customers made the people once again feel happy for the moment that they were there. Dai's FS was fashionable art flow worthy of the Royal Grand Opera&Ballet House with all its luxury and sophistication. I am waiting for the protocols to see where exactly the shameful judges found the trick to give him the same TES as they gave to Hanyu for his skating of a sick kid with no clean quads and spins with a hunchback material. The 5 points difference in PCS was a too lame move.

I too thought that the 5-point difference was all too small considering the two skates as total packaging of artistry. In between elements Hanyu is simply not interesting, let alone artistic, and his skate as a whole fails to convey whatever point he may read into the music. Dai on the other hand was revealing truth about Pagliacci (I know this opera very well) and I actually forgot his jumps while watching his skate because it was a whole piece of artwork. Franca Bianconi, at GPF, was complaining that Dai's FP this season hasn't enough transitions compared to last season's, and she may be right in terms of technical analysis BUT Pagliacci is a verismo opera - it doesn't call for complicated ornamentation in the singers, hence it is understandable that Dai's choreographer didn't include too many ornamentals. In Dai's JP FP the narrator was saying that Shae-Lynn Bourne had told Dai "you don't have to skate beautifully; be intense and even ugly if you need, to show emotion."

starryxskies

On the Ice
I'm no skater but what's the big deal in having Yuzu go back to Canada to train, to Japan to compete and back to Canada to train and compete? 4CC isn't until early Feb and Worlds a month later. He's young and used to travelling. Jetlag will not be a problem with such extensive rest time. Don't underestimate him just because he's a precious kid or whatever.

I still can't truly be happy for Mura, though I agree he's earned his podium spot. He brought tonight and good for him. Kozuka has generally performed better thus far in the season and I really hope he's sent to 4CC at least. Seriously, who wants to start a petition for Japan to have more spots? :bang:

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
Ha-ha. Basically, you are saying that making a trip to 4CC for a little kid is kind of a burden. But he is a Japanese champion now! When was it when Dai or Kozuka refused to go to 4CC just because it was too tough for them? And then the similar people critisize Plu for not showing up in a fake London, even if unlike in Hanyu case, Plu has actually a real reason for doing that.

Fake London? :rolleye: You have just reached a completely new level and this ain't a compliment.