Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Japanese Nationals Men

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    After NHK they found a bunch of excuses for him to stay in Japan and not going back to Canada. Even Stars on Ice in January in Japan came out handy. While he skipped FaOI in Nagaoka in summer due to similar reasons- injury, not feeling well, too far to travel within two weeks after Fukui, etc.
    May be this is the reason why he was cancelled from the italian ice Show on December 29…

Despite nerves of steel , the main issue remains always the same, Yuzu looks not healthy, like at FT and SA and this is a very unsafe situation …

Medalist
    Congrats to Hanyu on becoming the Japanese Champion. Well deserved.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Who reported and exactly where? There is some Russian journalist, who is widely translate on FSU and GS, and who reported in media that Dai's biological parents dumped him when he was a kid and he was adopted by a rich childless couple. Should I believe that too? I am sure that Yuzu's mother is a very lovely lady. As for his exams- they are held every 3-4- months in J-high schools, depends on the school. What exams exactly made him stay in Japan over N.Y? Oh, please. He took just some extra private time, due to the reasons... maybe you'll tell us.
    On his mother staying with him in Canada, as requested: http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...1-spnannex-spo
    I cannot find the reference that he stayed in Japan between the end of NHK Trophy and GPF for final exams, but if he has other reasons to stay longer in Japan, so be it. I don't see the need to speculate on the possible reasons.

Custom Title
    Just watched Hanyu and Daisuke.... OMGosh.. so many mixed emotions about two of my fav men's skaters. (Patrick and Jeremy being the other... yeah I am very greedy and have no loyalty )

Daisuke's FS... regardless of my criticism of the choreography, that guy IS a bonafide skating God!! This is undoubtedly the best Men's best FS I have seen or experienced all season. I practically had a weird existential experience overall watching Dai on this occasion like no other. I don't know about others, but during the step sequences, I suddenly became overwhelmed with an heartache that completely shook and surprised the heck out of me. After the rest of my logical senses caught up, I figured this is why Dai is the greatest most watchable male performer! He has the soul of the true artist. They can do that with the slightest touch when they are at ease with themselves and not seem to try so hard.

Last year, he took a rudimentary and repetitive piece of music to show case his expressions, versatility and commanding presence. This year he picked Morozov and did something on the surface of it feels quite generic and streamlined. Unlike others who have consistently pick music that complement them and hide their weaknesses, Dai seems deliberately handicap himself to challenge how much further he can push beyond one self. He absolutely got the music, the essence of music, the artistry of skating and did a masterclass of making the better than what is on the paper. Just a stunning skater, wonderful performer, a class of his own. Thank you for exist Daisuke Takahashi. If it is up to me, You should have got the Gold today based on what I saw today, which can not be measured by COP, its maths can not do it justice.

Hanyu, so proud of him. It is nice to see how this kid I rooted for so hard from the very beginning really fought through everything and earned his metal and even crowned dare I say it Japan's new #1? He went through tremendous journey last year and this year is his reward. Yes he look a bit ill and pale, but fought through it. I do worry about him, he looks almost as thin at Mao at one point I wonder if it is to do with the costumes. I am not a fan of this FS, but can see its potentials if Hanyu is energetic and emotionally invested enough to carry the highlights. Unfortunately to say, I didn't feel it today. The energy seems sapped out of him, very different from his SP, yet he really did fantastic well and shows that little Samurai spirit in him who were not bothered by the botch up opening quads. It is great to see a guy deals with pressure well, and how he set the mark at his SP really reminded me of his predecessor at Orser camp, even the way he crossed himself before he skates and how he overwhelm the rink with his gusto / psyching himself up posture the moment step on the ice.

World is going to be really really exciting! Come on Patrick!!!! It is your turn!! And of course Jeremy... but seriously the competitive level is so high and unpredictable this year, it could really goes every which way.
    Last edited by os168; 12-22-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by merleice View Post
    On his mother staying with him in Canada, as requested: http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...1-spnannex-spo
    I cannot find the reference that he stayed in Japan between the end of NHK Trophy and GPF for final exams, but if he has other reasons to stay longer in Japan, so be it. I don't see the need to speculate on the possible reasons.
    I see no need to drag his mother into this discussion.

Custom Title
    congratulations Yuzuru for winning the Japanese Nationals, and Daiskue for coming in 2nd and winning the free.
    great job all .

looks like shaping up to be a tought competition in the mens division for worlds. hope the u.s. men are up to the challenge.

good luck, to all

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by giulia95 View Post
    May be this is the reason why he was cancelled from the italian ice Show on December 29…

Despite nerves of steel , the main issue remains always the same, Yuzu looks not healthy, like at FT and SA and this is a very unsafe situation …
    I thought that he seemed to start to have breathing problems about 1/3 in to his fs program. It was reported that he came down with flu (some "bug") so as not to be able to participate in the gala for the GPF. (I don't know what to believe except that, truly, his color and stamina during the fs here looked off.) If he did have the flu, it might explain his not looking a very healthy hue at Japan Nationals, I suppose.

One aspect of his skating that really impressed me in both Hanyu's sp and fs was that his fluidity seems to be extraordinarily better. He is moving from component to component more smoothly. I thought that it was also impressive that he held his own despite the problems with the two jumps (which were not that big except when one is comparing him to Dai's skate of the same day). The skate wholistically really was amazing. His fs is not one that is easy to skate nor is it as nice to watch perhaps as is Dai's program (IMO), but it is fantastic how great he has made it. This kid is really the firecracker that has shaken up the whole sport and raised the achievement bar for everyone.

Dai's skate in the fs was spectacular. To be truthful, he has been under-rotating his jumps for a long time (so the point deduction was a long time coming), and really . . . perhaps we should just say "so what". Aestethically, the skate was beautiful. He still won the free skate and with Yuzuru's short (not overscored) it was impossible to catch Yuzuru anyway.

The million dollar question is whether Patrick Chan is improving or imploding. We know that Dai and Yuzuru are improving.

Custom Title
    Congrats..... I don't know...Hanyu winning with that short again. I don't know why I'm not in love with it.

Custom Title
    so proud of Yuzuru!!! He fought till the very end - I am sure there was a lot of pressure on him to perform two clean programs. The sigh of relief when he heard his marks was precious

Btw, I don't know why Yuzuru's mother was brought into this discussion. But I find that extremely disrespectful.

Custom Title
    To hell with gold medals that has got to be the best Silver Medal winning performance of all time (Paul Wylie being the other). Five hours later and I am still on a high.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It was wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by MasterB View Post
    To hell with gold medals that has got to be the best Silver Medal winning performance of all time (Paul Wylie being the other). Five hours later and I am still on a high.
    Dai rocked!!!

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Congradulations on Yuzuru It is amazing to see him every season fullfilling the hype he had at juniors.
    Imagine, when Plush had said 2-3 seasons ago that Hanyu will be the one to beat in Sochi-I had laughed. Hanyu 's sp is the one to beat right now, he looks relaxed, has a tone of TES possibility and great choreo. His lp has less effect for me though.

Dai's Lp on the other hand Maybe Morozov was a good choice for his confidence on ice.

Kozuka still has the best sp for me this season. I dare to think that he might not go to worlds...

Custom Title
    Congratulations to the new Japanese National Champion! Though it was not a surprise at all.

Haven't had chance to watch any LP yet. I've just watched Hanyu, Takahashi, Kozuka, and Oda's SPs.

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    From the vid I saw, Takahashi's UR in the 4T wasn't plainly obvious but detectable under slow motion replay. So it appears the Tech Panel made the right call here, though from the judges perspective, a UR that can't be detected without replay would be a rather minor consideration. The edge call on the 3Lz was also correct, though in this case, it was more a case of unclear edge as opposed an obvious Flutz. In the past, it would have been noted as a ! instead of e. Otherwise, the 3Lz+3T combo was solid. Again, any edge penalty here would have been minor.
    I have watched replay of the slow motion on Takahashi's 4T and 3Lz combo at least four times. I agree with you. The judges's calls were absolutely correct. Though in some competitions, they could have very well ignored them and not to make the calls. It is very clear on who the JSF is pushing. Even though I couldn't dispute on Hanyu's TES, his SS was really incredibly high while his skating was still a little sloppy looking. Other than that, Hanyu is truly the one to beat in SP in the whole wide world.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 12-22-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phaeljones View Post
    Dai's skate in the fs was spectacular. To be truthful, he has been under-rotating his jumps for a long time (so the point deduction was a long time coming).
    Sorry, in what world does UR = a point deduction? The deduction was for his costume falling apart at the very end of his program, just for your COP reference.

Edit:

So I finally got to watching Yuzuru's FS. First of all, can I just admire how long his legs are? They literally go on for days!!! I'm very jealous. I find it also helps him when he saves his jumps. The first 2 jumps - I swear that if it were any other skater, definitely would've ended on the ice. His spins are still gorgeous. He did look really tired early on in the program and I feel like if I were to run and give him a hug at the end, he would have no energy to keep straight/ I would topple him over =/ I miss his FS from last season. It did pretty well hiding his stamina weakness. I do think his technical score was a little...high when I compare it to Daisuke's.
    Last edited by starryxskies; 12-22-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast