Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Japanese Nationals Men

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I really like Mura. He reminds me of Takeshi Honda. I think Mura could beat Kozuka for the last spot on the world team.

Custom Title
    I am betting my non-existent money on Oda :P

Locks for the world team: Takahashi, and Hanyu. There's absolutely no way, unless today is the end of the world, in which these two will be left off the world team. lol.

Custom Title
    From the vid I saw, Takahashi's UR in the 4T wasn't plainly obvious but detectable under slow motion replay. So it appears the Tech Panel made the right call here, though from the judges perspective, a UR that can't be detected without replay would be a rather minor consideration. The edge call on the 3Lz was also correct, though in this case, it was more a case of unclear edge as opposed an obvious Flutz. In the past, it would have been noted as a ! instead of e. Otherwise, the 3Lz+3T combo was solid. Again, any edge penalty here would have been minor. On the 3A, Takahashi got a little lucky as it appears to be slightly UR as well but perhaps not enough for the panel to call it as such. That could go either way so I see no evidence that the Tech Panel has been especially harsh with Takahashi on purpose here, they did their job fairly, not lenient nor harsh. Rather, Takakashi needs to watch out for his chronic tendency to UR jumps.

Other impressions : Although Mura landed a 4T+3T combo and a mostly clean program, I was a little surprised how much emphasis the Japanese judges gave to jumps with components more like an afterthought. In other words, I find Mura's program to be very basic for this level and his overall skating skills and use of the music is so far behind Kozuka and Oda. But it appears as though if you can land big jumps, you are going to be ahead at the Japanese Nationals - so much emphasis on the jumps, maybe too much. I would have switched the ranking between Oda and Mura but that's just me.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    I really like Mura. He reminds me of Takeshi Honda. I think Mura could beat Kozuka for the last spot on the world team.
    If he does beat Kozuka, it would certainly not be because of his skating skills or music interpretation. To be honest, even his 4T+3T combo in the SP was shaky. I would have given him a 0 for GOE on that combo seeing how he barely held down to the landing. So that's at most an advantage of merely 2 pts over Kozuka's stepped out 4T. With the rest of the elements and the overall package, you'd think Kozuka would have easily overcome that deficit but instead, he barely stayed ahead by 0.1 pt.

Like I said, I don't like how the Japanese skating philosophy overly focuses on jumps and relegates other aspects of the skating as secondary. As a result, the skaters they produce tend to have highs and lows at international competitions - that is when they bomb their jumps, you see their big names suddenly dropping to 9th-10th at Worlds like Kozuka, or Oda falling to even qualify for the main event or Takahashi falling all the way to 6th at Worlds in 2011. This boom or bust approach is not wisest thing in this sport where ice is always slippery. Given that you better believe the likes of Chan will not zayak again this year, it would seem the JSF approach is not the most conducive to their skaters' international success, just my honest take.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pitterpatter View Post
    HOLY CRAP Yuzu. He didn't even look all that excited about it, it was like 'nbd' I do this every day.
    He looked quite pale, I hope he's alright :/

Custom Title
    What time is the LP?

Custom Title
    As a side note, in the vid I saw, Takeshi Honda commented on how Daisuke Takahashi indeed UR his 4T during the slow motion replay. I hope that will lay to rest any conspiracy theory that JSF has already fixed the results because if even the TV commentators can see the UR, not just the Tech Panel, then chances are the call was correct. The edge call was even clearer and Honda commented on that as well but I am not sure if he has access to preliminary protocol at that point or not. In any event, the unclear edge was quite irrefutable from what I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    What time is the LP?
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...l=1#post691207
    Last edited by wallylutz; 12-21-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Good for Hnayu!

But Takahasi is the guy I can watch all day long.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Good for Hnayu!

But Takahasi is the guy I can watch all day long.
    I can watch Yuzu all day! (Except I really shouldn't...)

Medalist
    In addition to the < on the 4T and the e on the 3Lz, Takahashi got three Level 3s and one 4 while Hanyu got three 4s, one 3. Small difference (0.9 total difference in Hanyu's favor in BV for their non-jump elements), but every little bit counts.

Oh, and Hanyu had two jumping passes after the bonus mark while Takahashi only had one.

From BV to meeting the bullets for GOE, everything has been extremely well crafted with the goal of getting all those little points. The other guys are really going to have to step it up if they want to get close to Hanyu's TES.

Custom Title
    How did 2 judges go as low as 7.75 in transitions for Yuzuru. They're crazy. Also only +1 on 4T and StSq ??

He should have been closer to 100 i think

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pitterpatter View Post
    I can watch Yuzu all day! (Except I really shouldn't...)
    HAHAH me too <3

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    How did 2 judges go as low as 7.75 in transitions for Yuzuru.
    Probably they haven't received the Memo

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor2014 View Post
    I don’t know what you mean by Hanyu “used to get 7s to high 8s early in the season”? At SA, his first GP outing, he got
    8.64 in SS
    8.36 in TR
    8.89 in P/E
    8.68 in CH
    8.79 in IN

At Japan Nationals, he got
    8.85 in SS
    8.50 in TR
    8.90 in P/E
    8.80 in CH
    8.85 in IN
    Not that much difference. If you look at others’ scores, you’ll find bigger differences.

I don’t understand this sentence either. Daisuke was the only one clean at GPF SP, but he made mistakes today which affected his GOEs. Hanyu, on the contrary, made mistakes and had a fall at GPF SP. He was clean today and earned GOEs similar to SA and NHK SP’s.
    Hey thanks for this, very detailed

I never consider PCS can be accurately read as 1 absolute number in its 'mean' format, but prefer to look at them as a whole between upper tier and lower tier. More as as flashpoints/impressions while taking factors and variables such as where they are competing, who are their competitors, who's marking them, what the skaters did on the day, what was skater did at their last competition, what the skater's future the federation are pushing for, and how important is that competition. Momentum building is a funny thing, and having home events always helps.

This was his scoring at Finlandia, his first competition in the season.

http://stll-fi-bin.directo.fi/@Bin/8...ocol%20fnl.pdf

Dai did make mistakes, but judges are usually more generous at home, but seems Dai didn't get as much home competition benefit relative Hanyu and his impressive GOEs especially just came off as the new GPF champion.
    Last edited by os168; 12-21-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Like I said, I don't like how the Japanese skating philosophy overly focuses on jumps and relegates other aspects of the skating as secondary. As a result, the skaters they produce tend to have highs and lows at international competitions - that is when they bomb their jumps, you see their big names suddenly dropping to 9th-10th at Worlds like Kozuka, or Oda falling to even qualify for the main event or Takahashi falling all the way to 6th at Worlds in 2011. This boom or bust approach is not wisest thing in this sport where ice is always slippery.
    Sorry I don't quite follow this argument. Are you saying Kozuka, Oda, or Takahashi are jumping beans and not much more? People always drop in rankings when someone else with comparable PCS outjumps them.

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast