Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Takahashi and Tran Split

Medalist
    Just heard about this. what a shock!
    Even though i wasn't a fan, I loved the lp from last season and thought were deserving of bronze medals at worlds.
    Best of luck to both.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by draqq View Post
    If only her hip wasn't a recurrent problem, I would say to pair Tran with Naomi Nari Nam.
    Oh, man, would that not be wonderful. I will always have a soft spot for Nam, from both her singles days and her pairs days.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Dana Y. ‏@danadotkz
    @skate_moivo awful, awful, awful news... I loved your pair very much. Wish you all the best. Did you start searching new partner already?
    11:05 AM - 18 Dec 12

Mervin Tran ‏@skate_moivo
    @danadotkz for now I will be returning home to my family for the holidays. My coaches and I will pursue this search for when I'm back.
    12:48 PM - 18 Dec 12 ·

Custom Title
    It's disappointing - they had such lovely programs (Feeling Good, Imagine.... gorgeous), but not entirely unfair. I hope Tran finds a partner in Canada he can continue his success with.

Custom Title
    If Canada really wants a pair medal, maybe make Joannie an offer. Joannie and Mervin would make a killing pair.

Custom Title
    Singles and pairs are very different. Timing, finesse and pairs tricks are a different bird all togehter. I think Joannie is too tall any ways and she would be the better jumper. I think Jessica Dube and Davison in their hey day had a problem in that while they were both singles skaters the triples they could do as singles did not mesh so there was no advantage. One would have thought they would be performing like Duhamel and Radford - triple lutzes or loops and such individually but they had to do the salchow which is not worth nearly as much and she still had problems. Sad about the break up but life will go on. I feel bad for Tran but olympic glory is such a thin edge

Custom Title
    oh my...someone please tell me it's not true.

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but it seems like pairs teams split up a lot more often than dance teams. Dance teams are famous for being together for multiple quads. Does dance have an unspoken rule that teams shouldn't split up or something? Again, forgive my ignorance, but I am genuinely curious as to why dance teams may stay together longer than pairs teams. As fans, we may never know all the reasons for the various splits, nor do I necessarily want to, but it's always unfortunate when a successful team such as T&T splits up. There could be any number of less high-profile dance splits, so maybe it's just a matter of perception that more pairs teams split up than dance teams. Thoughts?

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan4ever View Post
    Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but it seems like pairs teams split up a lot more often than dance teams. Dance teams are famous for being together for multiple quads. Does dance have an unspoken rule that teams shouldn't split up or something? Again, forgive my ignorance, but I am genuinely curious as to why dance teams may stay together longer than pairs teams. As fans, we may never know all the reasons for the various splits, nor do I necessarily want to, but it's always unfortunate when a successful team such as T&T splits up. There could be any number of less high-profile dance splits, so maybe it's just a matter of perception that more pairs teams split up than dance teams. Thoughts?
    Whether it is only a matter of perception that pairs split more frequently than ice dancers is a good question. I look forward to what Doris and other dance experts say.

I don't know the answer, but to scratch the surface, among the splits in ice dance in recent memory:
    - Crone and Poirier, after something like ten years together
    - Samuelson and Bates, after eleven yrs together
    - Hubbell and Hubbell
    - Lichtman and Copeley
    - The new partners of Poirier, Bates, and the Hubbells all had former partners of their own, meaning even more examples of splits ...
    Crone and Samuelson have been unable to find lasting new partners.
    I'm pretty sure that L/C had said that they both would seek new partners, but I never heard what became of either of them.

And haven't "mixing and matching" (so to speak) of partners among Russian ice dancers been quite prevalent?
    Last edited by golden411; 12-19-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Custom Title
    T and T were a good couple and some people saw huge potential in them and forget they won the precarious bronze but this team was not a sure bet. They were vulnerable to being beat by the no. 2 and 3 Russian teams, Duhamel and Radford, china no. 2, the Italians just to name a few and that doesn't include the Germans, V and T; P and T

Tripping on the Podium
    Oh no! I just heard about this, and I'm shocked!

From Mervin's Twitter, he doesn't sound very happy at all, it seemed like he was almost dropped as a partner. But Narumi is such a sweet girl...too bad they couldn't work it out at the end :(

Rinkside
    -sigh- Another great pair with huge potential gone, just when they were starting to get good. I'm so curious as to why Narumi broke it off? I already remember her saying that she chose Mervin > the Olympics. Apparently JSF doesn't have anything to do with it either. :/

Quote Originally Posted by joyfuls View Post
    -sigh- Another great pair with huge potential gone, just when they were starting to get good. I'm so curious as to why Narumi broke it off? I already remember her saying that she chose Mervin > the Olympics. Apparently JSF doesn't have anything to do with it either. :/
    I think that JSF had something to do with it, for the group comp in Sochi.

Rinkside
    Well according to this article JSF says the citizenship issue was not the cause of their breakup.

Quote Originally Posted by joyfuls View Post
    Well according to this article JSF says the citizenship issue was not the cause of their breakup.
    True, but surely you don't believe everything they say? It's a political organization.

Regardless we'll see what's really going on once things settle down and we get closer to Sochi.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast