Takahashi and Tran Split | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Takahashi and Tran Split

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Well, Mervin and Rockne are of comparable height, right? if Rockne is still partnerless, I don't know how many pairs ladies are available.

You're right, Mervin and Rockne are both listed as 5'9", so that will definitely make Mervin's partner search harder. Narumi was absolutely tiny--just 4'9"--which made her a good match for Mervin.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I think this breakup is a tactical move by JSF regarding the Team Event at Sochi. JMO

Given Narumi and Mervin's situation with the citizenship issue I am not surprised. Disappointed that they will
not be skating as team, but not surprised. Wishing the best for both Narumi and Mervin.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Btw, why he couldnt get a Japanese citizenship concidering it was about competing for Japan in Olys?

KKonas

Medalist
Well-well. The quilty party is that Olympic requirement that allows only citizens to represent the coutry. At the age of globalization and intergration such a citizenship demand is stupid to say the least.

That's the difference between the Olympics and World championships. If the requirements were the same, there would be no need for Worlds in an Olympic year. It is what also makes a difference in team sports like hockey, basketball, etc. where there are many multinational players on professional teams, who now have to compete with their country. It makes the Olympics more interesting.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
All this said, as an American pairs fan, I would be beyond happy if Mervin chose an American partner and sought U.S. citizenship. Heavens, with the state of U.S. pairs, Mervin would have a decent shot at winning Nationals in his first season, should he choose to skate for us!

Getting U.S. citizenship is a lot easier said than done. Tran would have to be a permanent resident of the U.S. (i.e., Green Card holder) for at least five years.
[Or for at least three years if he were to marry an American ... but Lacoste is Canadian ;)].

And getting a Green Card is not exactly a piece of cake either (although if Tran has a family member with U.S citizenship or a Green Card, he would have an advantage).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Btw, why he couldnt get a Japanese citizenship concidering it was about competing for Japan in Olys?

Tran would have had to reside in Japan for at least 10 years and he would not only have to speak Japanese, but read and write it as well. And of course he would have to give up his Canadian citizenship, as Japan doesn't permit dual citizenship. He was planning to ask for an exception, but no exception to the citizenship rules has ever been granted.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
OMG, I'm giddy with excitement. Somebody calls Yankowskas there's a suitable partner for her.
A few years ago, I said Mervin should just drop Narumi and go with our Caitlyn. Dream come true.

Together, I bet they're instantly US #1.

Crystallize

On the Ice
OMG, I'm giddy with excitement. Somebody calls Yankowskas there's a suitable partner for her.
A few years ago, I said Mervin should just drop Narumi and go with our Caitlyn. Dream come true.

What? Isn't Caitlin skating with Joshua Reagan now? :think:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
When Caitlyn was available, and the situation with Mervin and Narumi was heading toward hopelessness, I suggested they should team up.
Now that Mervin is available, Caitlyn should just drop her partner and team up with him. They are way better off together. I'm certain they are US #1 the moment they form a partnership.

NMURA

Medalist
I guess the JSF has already chosen the possible candidate(s) for Narumi. Japan will be able to qualify for the Olymic team event without a pair and considering the level of pairs around 16-20 at worlds, it may not be so difficult to obtain an Olympic spot in next year with an improvised team. I am taking this news very positively.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Very true. But it is much easier than Japan of course.

I can't remember--do you need full citizenship or just a green card to compete at the Olympics?

You need to be a citizen. A green card does not count.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

What? Isn't Caitlin skating with Joshua Reagan now? :think:

When Caitlyn was available, and the situation with Mervin and Narumi was heading toward hopelessness, I suggested they should team up.
Now that Mervin is available, Caitlyn should just drop her partner and team up with him. They are way better off together. I'm certain they are US #1 the moment they form a partnership.

Never say never, but just yesterday, Yankowskas was gushing about Reagan on Twitter (in response to a comment from a fan):

HarriettEloise ‏@HarriettEloise
@CaitsYankowskas Your Welcome! So glad you found that perfect skating partner for yourself. You two look great together!!
5:31 PM - 17 Dec 12

Caitlin Yankowskas ‏@CaitsYankowskas
@HarriettEloise THANK YOU! He is a great guy and a wonderful partner.. I'm blessed 
5:57 PM - 17 Dec 12

And as discussed above, if Tran aspires to become an Olympian, choosing an American partner will mean a very long road ahead of him (unless she has an expedited path to Canadian citizenship).

clairecloutier

Final Flight
When Caitlyn was available, and the situation with Mervin and Narumi was heading toward hopelessness, I suggested they should team up. Now that Mervin is available, Caitlyn should just drop her partner and team up with him. They are way better off together. I'm certain they are US #1 the moment they form a partnership.

Alas, Caitlin is 5'3", on the taller side for a pairs skater. She needs a tall partner, and Mervin a short one, so physically it wouldn't work.

I wish I knew more about up-and-coming pairs in either Canada or America to try and guess if there's anyone suitable for him. I'm sure he and his coach will be considering all possibilities starting immediately.

heyhey

On the Ice
Ohgodohgodohgod ! Damn the Olympics anyway....

I agree Colleen - if it wasn't for the team event in Sochi - this break-up would not have happened...and if team Japan was really serious about a silver or gold at the team event then they would have to bring the Shibs onboard...stranger things have happened, no?

babayaga

On the Ice
I guess the JSF has already chosen the possible candidate(s) for Narumi. Japan will be able to qualify for the Olymic team event without a pair and considering the level of pairs around 16-20 at worlds, it may not be so difficult to obtain an Olympic spot in next year with an improvised team. I am taking this news very positively.
I agree with this, I think they already have someone in mind for her from Japan. I am getting ahead a little but I am wondering if Narumi's current coaches will agree to take on the new pair from Japan. I am not sure there are any pair coaches inside Japan, are there?

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I agree with this, I think they already have someone in mind for her from Japan. I am getting ahead a little but I am wondering if Narumi's current coaches will agree to take on the new pair from Japan. I am not sure there are any pair coaches inside Japan, are there?

I would expect their current coaches to continue coaching her and her new partner. After all, money talks.
Poor Mervin. Time to tweet Caitlyn.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
If only her hip wasn't a recurrent problem, I would say to pair Tran with Naomi Nari Nam.