Takahashi and Tran Split | Golden Skate

Takahashi and Tran Split

Morning Glory

On the Ice
It's true........:cry:

They keep competing and look for new partners. Sad.....

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Here's the article
http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/all/headlines/20121218-00000021-kyodo_sp-spo.html

Here's what Google Translate makes of it

Takahashi and Tran was third world championship figure set pair resolution
18, Japan Skating Federation announced the pair (Canada) was solved a duo Marvin Tran (click Kinoshita) Narumi Takahashi of last season's World Championships bronze medal in pairs figure skating. Intends to continue the competition Both players, of finding a new partner.

We gave a discourse "in recent years, from an aggressive feeling so I passed from the discrepancy of thoughts on the competition, continue to love skating, decided to eliminate the pair" Takahashi said.

Takahashi, born in Chiba Prefecture in 2007 and formed a pair Tran. We won the first medal, including the Olympics as a representative of the pair at the World Championships in Japan in March this year. Tran but aims to acquire Japanese citizenship towards the Sochi 2002 Winter Olympics organization is adopted for the first time, had no experience difficulties living in Japan.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
:(

Considering the lack of male pair figure skaters in Japan, I wonder if that's the end for Narumi.....

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
This is sad! They were such a special pair with nice lines and choreography! I'll miss them so much.

Why did they split exactly?

Is it because her injury / he couldn't get Japanese citizenship / she will seek a Japanese partner in order to compete at the Olys ?

This is sad! They were such a special pair with nice lines and choreography! I'll miss them so much.

Why did they split exactly?

Is it because her injury / he couldn't get Japanese citizenship / she will seek a Japanese partner in order to compete at the Olys ?
I think it's mainly because Tran couldn't get Japanese citizenship in time for Sochi Olympics, according to the info posted on FSU. I don't think Takahashi can find a Japanese partner to measure up to her level.

Last edited:

NMURA

Medalist
I think Ryuichi Kihara is a good choice. He is relatively tall (about 174cm) and well built among Japanese men. He has practically no future as a single skater but basic skills are OK. The rink at Chukyo University is used as a national training facility and the federation can arrange sufficent practice time (if they chose). His coach Nagakubo has experiences as a pair skater.

Nadia01

Final Flight
I think it's mainly because Takahashi couldn't get Japanese citizenship in time for Sochi Olympics, according to the info posted on FSU. I don't think she can find a Japanese partner to measure up to her level.

I think you mean Tran? Takahashi is already Japanese.

My understanding is that Tran was having some trouble getting the JP citizenship because he hasn't lived in Japan long enough and also he doesn't speak the language. Maybe some special exemption can be made for him, but in general, it takes almost a decade of residency plus fluency in Japanese (verbal & written) before you can even apply for JP permanent residency.

Also I don't think she can find a partner in Japan, unless one of the top single male skater decides to go pair.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I had been wondering why Mervin Tran ‏@skate_moivo sent the tweets below yesterday, which at the time seemed cryptic to me. He also changed his Twitter profile photo to a solo shot of himself; I'm pretty sure that the old one was a two-shot of Takahashi/Tran.

When asked what I want in the future, I often reply, "I don't know. It's hard to plan that. 5 years ago I didn't even expect to be here."
2:05 PM - 17 Dec 12

Some say the second climb is always harder than the first time. Luckily I'm a repetitive guy and this time I know the right path to take.
7:18 PM - 17 Dec 12

Wishing each of them the best.

ETA:

Only a few short days ago, I had posted this Tran tweet in the Injuries thread:
Sitting at a restaurant and they start playing "Imagine" on the speakers. Miss competing. Get well soon Narumi
3:16 PM - 11 Dec 12​

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Tran's direct comments via Twitter

Latest tweets from Mervin Tran ‏@skate_moivo, in which he directly addresses the end of his partnership with Takahashi:

Now that the cat is out of the bag. I want to say that I hate cats and this is not what I was shopping for. But Narumi has decided, its over
7:37 AM - 18 Dec 12
https://twitter.com/skate_moivo/status/281015354396930048
(His new Twitter profile photo shows him on a off-season shopping expedition, surrounded by shopping bags.)​

Thank you to all/Minasan, arigato gozaimashita. I will miss competing with Narumi for Japan. It was a great experience. pic.twitter.com/5Z6qKPD3
7:43 AM - 18 Dec 12
https://twitter.com/skate_moivo/status/281016917077135361
The photo in this tweet is a nice portrait shot of T/T -- with their World bronze medals, I believe. And if I remember correctly, it is the same photo that he was using as his Twitter profile photo up until last night.​

ETA:
Lest anyone wonder: "arigato gozaimashita" is Japanese for "thank you very much."​

Last edited:

Ravensque

On the Ice
Well, he's a Canadian, so I'm sure he'll be able to find a new partner here............hopefully. I always feels to badly for any team that breaks up especially a good team like this one.

berrycute

On the Ice
wouldn't you think the Japanese fed will try hard to find her a new guy, for sake of the team comp at Sochi?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm sure that situations like these are more complicated than meets the eye, but Tran seemed to be waiting patiently for Takahashi to recover from her injury. If she felt she had to end their partnership, it's a shame (understatement) that she did not make the decision months earlier, so that he could move forward with finding and nurturing a new partnership.

Reminds me of how the Samuelson/Bates partnership ended. She waited basically a whole season for him to recover from his injury, and then he decided not to continue with her. She never did find a lasting new partner. :(

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Meagan Duhamel ‏@mhjd_85
@skate_moivo love you Merv!! And supporting you no matter what!!
5:47 AM - 18 Dec 12​

lakeside

On the Ice
This is terrible news. They’re a promising and on the rise pair. First the injury news then the split :cry: I wish this is not a result of the so-called bronze curse. Or maybe not, since P/B is doing very well in the ice dance field, and Akiko is gorgeous too this season.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I am sad to see Takahashi/Tran split. Because they were a great pair with huge potential. Almost from the first time I saw them, I thought: They could be World champions someday. And their bronze medal last year proved that potential.

But, in another way, I am relieved. Because the citizenship issue was clearly going to limit their career. Now Mervin can look for a partner in Canada or the U.S. and have a real shot at going to the Olympics, in 2018 if not 2014. In my opinion he's one of the best male pairs skaters in the world, so I'm sure he will have his pick of Canadian ladies to choose from, and if he can't find someone in Canada, then any number of U.S. ladies will be available. I know he'll come back from this, I think his career has tremendous upside. He's young, a pretty good jumper, and his pairs skills are excellent.

Mervin and Narumi were so well matched in talent and physique that it's hard to think of them with other partners now. But I do think they can both go on, especially Mervin, and I wish them both the best.

Nadia01

Final Flight
wouldn't you think the Japanese fed will try hard to find her a new guy, for sake of the team comp at Sochi?

I think they'll do their best, but it's not so easy. Takahashi needs a Japanese male partner to be eligible for Sochi. I can't think of any male Japanese skater who can be her partner right now and be totally ready for Sochi. Most of JP's top male skaters are doing single, and I'm not certain that they can make the switch right before the Oly season and be successful.

I think that this breakup will hurt Takahashi more than Tran, because Canada has more to offer in terms of pairs skating for Tran. Note that Kawaguchi had to get a Russian partner and become a Russian citizen to go to Vancouver.

This truly is upsetting. :sigh: I really liked this pair, and I thought they could do very well with more experience. :(