Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Takahashi and Tran Split

Custom Title
    All fair points, but physically, Amelie is actually built a lot like Meghan Duhamel, a couple inches taller, but that same compact, muscular build. Her legs may be a bit sturdy, but I would imagine in person she is likely very petite, much like everyone mentions Joannie Rochette is in person. Amelie even on screen appears to have minimal body fat and quite a small frame, especially through the chest and shoulders. I know Narumi is still quite a bit smaller, but she was what, 4'9" or 4'10" and probably 80 pounds, it's going to be very hard to find another woman that small, and Mervin while not a big guy at 5'9" could probably handle someone a little taller/heavier than Narumi. You're right in that it might not be a good fit, but you do wonder. In a lot of ways, I think Amelie could maybe be good at pairs, she appears to have good balance and her presentation is quite nice, as are the jumps she can do consistently (3s, 3lo, 2a), it's really the harder triples that let her down, and in pairs she wouldn't need them to be competitive.

Custom Title
    There was a fair chance Narumi would have grown and gained weight anyways whereas Lacoste has finished her growth spurt. HOwever switching to singles isn't easy - you need timing, finesse, matching lines. It won't be easy to find a pair skater for th enext Olympics

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    There was a fair chance Narumi would have grown and gained weight anyways whereas Lacoste has finished her growth spurt. HOwever switching to singles isn't easy - you need timing, finesse, matching lines. It won't be easy to find a pair skater for th enext Olympics
    Narumi is already 20, so further growth is unlikely.

I think Mervin is looking more at 2018 than next year. If he found a new Canadian partner this season, making 2014 would perhaps not be out of the realm of possibility, but difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    All fair points, but physically, Amelie is actually built a lot like Meghan Duhamel, a couple inches taller, but that same compact, muscular build. Her legs may be a bit sturdy, but I would imagine in person she is likely very petite, much like everyone mentions Joannie Rochette is in person. Amelie even on screen appears to have minimal body fat and quite a small frame, especially through the chest and shoulders. I know Narumi is still quite a bit smaller, but she was what, 4'9" or 4'10" and probably 80 pounds, it's going to be very hard to find another woman that small, and Mervin while not a big guy at 5'9" could probably handle someone a little taller/heavier than Narumi. You're right in that it might not be a good fit, but you do wonder. In a lot of ways, I think Amelie could maybe be good at pairs, she appears to have good balance and her presentation is quite nice, as are the jumps she can do consistently (3s, 3lo, 2a), it's really the harder triples that let her down, and in pairs she wouldn't need them to be competitive.
    Yeah, Lacoste is smaller than Myriane Samson, and I've seen Samson in person. She's VERY TINY, much more so than you would think. Heck, even Elizabeth Manley is small in person and she's looked borderline CHUNKY on tv! The only female skater I've seen who looks of a "regular person" size is Cynthia Phaneuf, maybe Jenna McCorkell but McCorkell is still pretty thin.

Custom Title
    It's terrible how TV adds weight and makes people look fatter. I'm sure virtually all the skaters we see on TV would look quite thin in person.

Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    It's terrible how TV adds weight and makes people look fatter. I'm sure virtually all the skaters we see on TV would look quite thin in person.
    I know. I was surprised at how much of a cow I looked the time I was on tv.

Custom Title
    IMO, it can be a mistake for people in a close relationship to skate as pairs. Sometimes it does work (Menno/Sand, Gordeeva/Grinkov) but often it doesn't and that can mean the end of the personal relationship (Sale/Pelletier, Bechke/Petrov, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze) or the end of the partnership and the relationship (Marcoux/Buntin).

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I think the best suggestion , so far, has been Natasha Purich .. because she's the tiniest (so far) and she really is very light and graceful and already an experienced pair skater. But who knows what Gauthier and Marcotte can pull out of their hats ? I mean , they conjured Mervyn out of nowhere.

Custom Title
    Tran tweeted that he was looking for a pairs lady with two consistent triples (though he doesn't like the loop). If that means that Tran has a consistent lutz and flip, whoa. I really hope he finds a talented girl and makes a run at the Sochi team and beyond.

Custom Title
    I think Tran meant a girl with salchow and toe loop or one of those with 2a. IMO, the loop comment was meant as a hint that Amelie Lacoste need not apply....

Custom Title
    Yeah, that makes sense. That said, he's dating Amelie LaCoste (Source), so I doubt he'd use Twitter to hint that she shouldn't apply.

Banned
    IMO it is a huge mistake on her part. She was just barely good enough to be able to partner him as the clearly weaker of the two, and for them to have success together. I doubt she can even find a male skater up to her level in Japan which has a dearth of mens pair skaters, let alone up to Mervin's level. I suspect her career is now going to be over, unless she wants to switch to singles, and LOL at the idea of her doing anything in singles in Japan, she wouldnt even be better than an old Fumie who cant even get out of Divisional competition. Maybe she just wants to find some partner to get to the Olympics by default, and experience it even with a dead last place finish. Who knows.

I think he can do better than her anyway, and hopefully will find a partner that suits him and that is an even better pairs skater than her (easily doable in Canada, there are a number better than her IMO) and get back to being a contender in a new partnership.

Custom Title
    Hmm a lady with two different triples - good luck isn't that what all pairs teams want? Amelie wouldn't be so bad if they could transfer the passion for each other onto the ice.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    File under: "Adding insult to injury" (Tran edition)

Mervin Tran ‏@skate_moivo
    7:00am. Door rings. "Who rings at this ungodly hour?" Ignore buzz. Rings again. Answer door. "ISU doping for Mervin of team JPN"... Really?
    4:39 AM - 15 Jan 13

I feel even worse for Tran because he has made unrelated comments more than once in the past that his least favorite thing about competing is the surprise doping checks that can come at any time and any place.
    A respite from the unannounced visits would have been a very tiny silver lining to the end of his partnership with Takahashi. But no such luck. :(

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    File under: "Adding insult to injury" (Tran edition)

Mervin Tran ‏@skate_moivo
    7:00am. Door rings. "Who rings at this ungodly hour?" Ignore buzz. Rings again. Answer door. "ISU doping for Mervin of team JPN"... Really?
    4:39 AM - 15 Jan 13

I feel even worse for Tran because he has made unrelated comments more than once in the past that his least favorite thing about competing is the surprise doping checks that can come at any time and any place.
    A respite from the unannounced visits would have been a very tiny silver lining to the end of his partnership with Takahashi. But no such luck. :(
    No kidding? Bummer. Haven't the ISU folks gotten the news?

Well, maybe it's a good omen. He's still in the mix as a pairs skater, so all he need now (all!) is a partner. If he keeps his honor clean, he'll be ready to go as soon as Ms. Right glides into the picture. Here's hoping.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast