Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Takahashi and Tran Split

Custom Title
    I really liked this pair.... dang it!!

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Meagan Duhamel ‏@mhjd_85
    @skate_moivo love you Merv!! And supporting you no matter what!!
    5:47 AM - 18 Dec 12

Custom Title
    This is terrible news. They’re a promising and on the rise pair. First the injury news then the split I wish this is not a result of the so-called bronze curse. Or maybe not, since P/B is doing very well in the ice dance field, and Akiko is gorgeous too this season.

Custom Title
    I am sad to see Takahashi/Tran split. Because they were a great pair with huge potential. Almost from the first time I saw them, I thought: They could be World champions someday. And their bronze medal last year proved that potential.

But, in another way, I am relieved. Because the citizenship issue was clearly going to limit their career. Now Mervin can look for a partner in Canada or the U.S. and have a real shot at going to the Olympics, in 2018 if not 2014. In my opinion he's one of the best male pairs skaters in the world, so I'm sure he will have his pick of Canadian ladies to choose from, and if he can't find someone in Canada, then any number of U.S. ladies will be available. I know he'll come back from this, I think his career has tremendous upside. He's young, a pretty good jumper, and his pairs skills are excellent.

Mervin and Narumi were so well matched in talent and physique that it's hard to think of them with other partners now. But I do think they can both go on, especially Mervin, and I wish them both the best.

Quote Originally Posted by berrycute View Post
    wouldn't you think the Japanese fed will try hard to find her a new guy, for sake of the team comp at Sochi?
    I think they'll do their best, but it's not so easy. Takahashi needs a Japanese male partner to be eligible for Sochi. I can't think of any male Japanese skater who can be her partner right now and be totally ready for Sochi. Most of JP's top male skaters are doing single, and I'm not certain that they can make the switch right before the Oly season and be successful.

I think that this breakup will hurt Takahashi more than Tran, because Canada has more to offer in terms of pairs skating for Tran. Note that Kawaguchi had to get a Russian partner and become a Russian citizen to go to Vancouver.

This truly is upsetting. :sigh: I really liked this pair, and I thought they could do very well with more experience. :(

Custom Title
    The Japaness Fed may already have a partner for Takahashi now. Then she initiated the split. We will see. It is a good thing for Tran in long term.

Banned
    this is a disaster

Custom Title
    Disappointed in the news...also to consider that Tran loses Japanese funding...he is not part of Skate Canada and I don't think he is a carded athlete from Sport Canada...so Merry X-mas Mervin...ughhh...

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Which Canadian girls would be a good match for Mervin? Mervin is 22, and 175 cm. tall.
    The plus is that he is still reasonably young for a pair skater, and is already with Gauthier's group.

Custom Title
    This team had such great chemistry together--I really loved them! I think Narumi is going to come out on the losing end of this break up in terms of success with a new partner. Maybe we'll wake up and find this news was all a bad dream?

Custom Title
    This is awful. The one world-level pairs team Japan had, and it's ending. I hope they each find a way to excel in skating in the future with new partners, but right now it sure looks bad.

Custom Title
    very sad. this pair was wonderful to watch with their chemistry, spirit and energy. there are a few skating pairs (and skaters) that you just forget about the score card because they are just so good to watch. Tran and Takahashi were in that group for me. I didn't think that the fact that they would not compete at Sochi would be enough to break them apart.

although I wish them both well, I think that Takahashi could have let Tran go earlier. It would have been classier. There is no way on God's green earth that Takahashi doesn't already have a replacement lined up. There was obviously some trigger that caused the tie to be cut at this time and not earlier. Tran has the talent to get a good partner, but really the most difficult aspect of skating for a North American skater is funding. First you need the money, and then you need the talent. Sorry to say. Unless some angels move in and help him, it could be extremely difficult to regain his footing. I hope that Skate Canada sees the opportunity that Tran has for skating in Canada and moves in to help him. Takahashi, I wish the best, but she has the means behind her to make the adjustment. I worry more about Tran on this one. I hope that neither is lost to international skating.

Banned
    Well-well. The quilty party is that Olympic requirement that allows only citizens to represent the coutry. At the age of globalization and intergration such a citizenship demand is stupid to say the least.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Well-well. The quilty party is that Olympic requirement that allows only citizens to represent the coutry. At the age of globalization and intergration such a citizenship demand is stupid to say the least.
    I think this is true, and it's sad, but we should be clear that this is an IOC requirement, not an ISU requirement, at its heart.

Banned
    I think Tran will be the one to get a suitable partner easier than Narumi, Canada has better options for him
    either Narumi already has a Japanese partner in waiting or I can see her going the Yuko Kavaguti route

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast