Takahashi and Tran Split | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Takahashi and Tran Split

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Just heard about this. what a shock!
Even though i wasn't a fan, I loved the lp from last season and thought were deserving of bronze medals at worlds.
Best of luck to both.

If only her hip wasn't a recurrent problem, I would say to pair Tran with Naomi Nari Nam.

Oh, man, would that not be wonderful. I will always have a soft spot for Nam, from both her singles days and her pairs days.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Dana Y. ‏@danadotkz
@skate_moivo awful, awful, awful news... I loved your pair very much. Wish you all the best. Did you start searching new partner already?
11:05 AM - 18 Dec 12​

Mervin Tran ‏@skate_moivo
@danadotkz for now I will be returning home to my family for the holidays. My coaches and I will pursue this search for when I'm back.
12:48 PM - 18 Dec 12 ·​

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
It's disappointing - they had such lovely programs (Feeling Good, Imagine.... gorgeous), but not entirely unfair. I hope Tran finds a partner in Canada he can continue his success with.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
If Canada really wants a pair medal, maybe make Joannie an offer. Joannie and Mervin would make a killing pair.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Singles and pairs are very different. Timing, finesse and pairs tricks are a different bird all togehter. I think Joannie is too tall any ways and she would be the better jumper. I think Jessica Dube and Davison in their hey day had a problem in that while they were both singles skaters the triples they could do as singles did not mesh so there was no advantage. One would have thought they would be performing like Duhamel and Radford - triple lutzes or loops and such individually but they had to do the salchow which is not worth nearly as much and she still had problems. Sad about the break up but life will go on. I feel bad for Tran but olympic glory is such a thin edge

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but it seems like pairs teams split up a lot more often than dance teams. Dance teams are famous for being together for multiple quads. Does dance have an unspoken rule that teams shouldn't split up or something? Again, forgive my ignorance, but I am genuinely curious as to why dance teams may stay together longer than pairs teams. As fans, we may never know all the reasons for the various splits, nor do I necessarily want to, but it's always unfortunate when a successful team such as T&T splits up. There could be any number of less high-profile dance splits, so maybe it's just a matter of perception that more pairs teams split up than dance teams. Thoughts?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but it seems like pairs teams split up a lot more often than dance teams. Dance teams are famous for being together for multiple quads. Does dance have an unspoken rule that teams shouldn't split up or something? Again, forgive my ignorance, but I am genuinely curious as to why dance teams may stay together longer than pairs teams. As fans, we may never know all the reasons for the various splits, nor do I necessarily want to, but it's always unfortunate when a successful team such as T&T splits up. There could be any number of less high-profile dance splits, so maybe it's just a matter of perception that more pairs teams split up than dance teams. Thoughts?

Whether it is only a matter of perception that pairs split more frequently than ice dancers is a good question. I look forward to what Doris and other dance experts say.

I don't know the answer, but to scratch the surface, among the splits in ice dance in recent memory:
- Crone and Poirier, after something like ten years together
- Samuelson and Bates, after eleven yrs together
- Hubbell and Hubbell
- Lichtman and Copeley
- The new partners of Poirier, Bates, and the Hubbells all had former partners of their own, meaning even more examples of splits ...
Crone and Samuelson have been unable to find lasting new partners.
I'm pretty sure that L/C had said that they both would seek new partners, but I never heard what became of either of them.

And haven't "mixing and matching" (so to speak) of partners among Russian ice dancers been quite prevalent?

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
T and T were a good couple and some people saw huge potential in them and forget they won the precarious bronze but this team was not a sure bet. They were vulnerable to being beat by the no. 2 and 3 Russian teams, Duhamel and Radford, china no. 2, the Italians just to name a few and that doesn't include the Germans, V and T; P and T

sapphiresky

Rinkside
Oh no! I just heard about this, and I'm shocked!

From Mervin's Twitter, he doesn't sound very happy at all, it seemed like he was almost dropped as a partner. But Narumi is such a sweet girl...too bad they couldn't work it out at the end :(

joyfuls

Rinkside
-sigh- Another great pair with huge potential gone, just when they were starting to get good. I'm so curious as to why Narumi broke it off? I already remember her saying that she chose Mervin > the Olympics. Apparently JSF doesn't have anything to do with it either. :/

Nadia01

Final Flight
-sigh- Another great pair with huge potential gone, just when they were starting to get good. I'm so curious as to why Narumi broke it off? I already remember her saying that she chose Mervin > the Olympics. Apparently JSF doesn't have anything to do with it either. :/

I think that JSF had something to do with it, for the group comp in Sochi.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Well according to this article JSF says the citizenship issue was not the cause of their breakup.

True, but surely you don't believe everything they say? It's a political organization.

Regardless we'll see what's really going on once things settle down and we get closer to Sochi.

joyfuls

Rinkside
True, but surely you don't believe everything they say? It's a political organization.

Regardless we'll see what's really going on once things settle down and we get closer to Sochi.

Narumi seems like a really sweet girl. She has also always appreciated Mervin and is always thankful that he is her partner, so it's really odd that she would just drop him suddenly in the middle of the season. She left him hanging and he only tweeted a week ago

"Sitting at a restaurant and they start playing "Imagine" on the speakers. Miss competing. Get well soon Narumi."

Something big must've changed her mind. I wish them the best of luck in finding new partners. They have a big future ahead of them!

mary01

Final Flight
Narumi seems like a really sweet girl. She has also always appreciated Mervin and is always thankful that he is her partner, so it's really odd that she would just drop him suddenly in the middle of the season. She left him hanging and he only tweeted a week ago

Something big must've changed her mind. I wish them the best of luck in finding new partners. They have a big future ahead of them!

Me too I also hope they both will find new partners soon, and maybe, just maybe go back as a pair after the olympics, I atleast wish they would, if it doesn't work with the new partners!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Injuries seem to make people go crazy or rethink their partnership. I wonder - weaver and poje are they next. Think about it. Dube and DAvison - Bryce gets seriously injured with his knee and then it is over. Samuelson and Bates. Everyone is out for the elusive ogm I guess.

mousepotato

On the Ice
Injuries seem to make people go crazy or rethink their partnership. I wonder - weaver and poje are they next. Think about it. Dube and DAvison - Bryce gets seriously injured with his knee and then it is over. Samuelson and Bates. Everyone is out for the elusive ogm I guess.

It was over. Bryce had a career ending injury, should Jessica have retired too? Or found another partner and tried to make a go of it. I think Takahashi was either pressured to skate with a single skater from Japan to make up the team for the OM or their relationship wasn't as good as they let on.

They had a good set up as it was and if this break-up was caused by her not wanting to miss one or maybe two competitions in their whole career is pretty stupid. The OM was a long shot in 2014 as it was.

I feel bad for Takahashi, she isn't that great of a skater and if they do pair her up with a man from Japan they will be at square one, I think her career is essentially over at this point. Tran OTOH will can get a great Canadian partner and have a real shot at a future.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's possible she gets homesick in Canada, and she just doesn't want to go back to train away from Japan? Her reasons are all just speculation at this point, I think.