Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Takahashi and Tran Split

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    There is physical strength in the upper body that the guys need to build up that might have been neglected a bit as singles, IMO.
    I would just like to let this sit and marinate ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiwZcxUiTJg&t=4m24s

and

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiwZcxUiTJg&t=2m25s

and also

http://i.imgur.com/PgC6v.gif

Custom Title
    He's holding her full-length up over his head with one arm, and she's secure enough to be waving to someone while resting on his fingers? Yipes; Narumi is never going to find the likes of this guy again to partner her. Unfortunately there's no place where these two can meet and skate for one country. If Takahashi joins Tran in Canada, she has to renounce her Japanese citizenship. And we already know that his efforts to join her haven't panned out. This is one of those situations that has "fat chance" written all over it.

Oh god it's just so easy for him like no big deal. I'm curious to see how it'll pan out with his new partner (crossing fingers), Narumi is TINY and it'll be a miracle if he can find a girl out West that is as tiny as her. Lifts won't be as much of a piece of cake anymore for him either.

Custom Title
    Starryxskies, you've just put your finger on something that shows why international teams have such potential. Asians from Japan and parts of China tend to be smaller. Westerners tend to be bigger. (I know that Tran is Southeast Asian, so I'm not using him as an example here, but he seems pretty tall--Western diet?) So a Western male pairs skater and an Asian female pairs skater would have a better height differential without the girl having to be, say, thirteen years old. Unfortunately, though such a pairing is eligible for worlds, they wouldn't be allowed at the Olympics. So, alas, one must hope for other ways for the ideal partners to find each other.

Custom Title
    Mervyn Tran was raised in Canada and he may have been born here, although I'm not entirely sure of that. He really isn't that tall but his lift technique is excellent. I think Richard Gaultier is the best coach in the world when it comes to lifts. Sale & Pelletier were also known for their lifts. All of his male partners have strong stable lifting technique.

Custom Title
    According to his ISU bio, Mervin Tran was born in Regina, Saskatchewan.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Mervyn Tran was raised in Canada and he may have been born here, although I'm not entirely sure of that. He really isn't that tall but his lift technique is excellent. I think Richard Gaultier is the best coach in the world when it comes to lifts. Sale & Pelletier were also known for their lifts. All of his male partners have strong stable lifting technique.
    Interesting to know. Thanks. I remember being wowed by Sale and Pelletier's lifts, even more so when they did pro routines and branched out a bit. I hope Tran finds a partner worthy of his skill soon, and that he can afford to continue training.

Quote Originally Posted by bebevia View Post
    I usually reply to a thread after scanning through before posting - but I'm gonna post first this time: I'm so sad! Their chemistry was SOOOO cute together!

I'm worried now with the Korean ice dance pair with their nationality issues - although this time, the Korean fed is trying to convince the government and ISU, who knows what will happen?
    What's their situation? I know nothing about it since I don't usually follow ice dance.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I think they are quite a promising very young pair. Rebecka Kim skates with Kirill Minov.
    http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054325.htm
    They train in Russia with Svinin & Zhuk. However, she is Korean & he is Russian.

I am sure they are aiming to compete in 2018 for sure at Olympics in Korea. (She is too young for 2014, I believe)

I don't know whether there are difficulties getting him Korean citizenship, or whether he wants Korean citizenship.

Custom Title
    I would still like him to find a Canadian partner. It would certainly eliminate the complications of citizenry. I'm sure there are plenty of "pair sized", talented girls/women here, so here's hoping he has some tryouts lined up.

Custom Title
    Natasha Purich would be perfect for Tran. She's a talented spunky skater, and her current partner (Sebastien Arcieri) just isn't good enough for her. She's also quite tiny--about 4'11".

Rinkside
    Has anyone mentioned Andrea Poapst as a possible partner for Tran? I was impressed with her at Nationals last year. She's Canadian and I don't think she has a partner now.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Joubabe, Welcome to Golden Skate! That's a great suggestion!
    Andrea is on ice partner search.
    http://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=4035

I hope someone has reminded Tran's coaches that Andrea is Canadian, since her last partner was an American (Chris Knierim) , people might not remember.

Custom Title
    He should just skate pairs with his girlfriend. Amelie is tiny, 5'1" I think, and she's going nowhere in singles now that Osmond is competing in seniors, and she does have a good 2a and edge jumps.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    He should just skate pairs with his girlfriend. Amelie is tiny, 5'1" I think, and she's going nowhere in singles now that Osmond is competing in seniors, and she does have a good 2a and edge jumps.
    This is an interesting suggestion, I wonder if they have seriously considered it. It might be worth a try. But I don't think Amelie would be an ideal partner for Mervin. Amelie is a good skater, but her style is quite a bit different than Mervin & Narumi's. She's stronger athletically than artistically. This is something most of the Canadian ladies skaters seem to have in common. So many of them are cut from a very similar mold--good athletes, lots of energy, but rather stocky and artistically unrefined. Also, although Amelie is only 5'1", that still makes her 5 inches taller than Narumi. And she doesn't have that slim, small-boned build that works best for pairs skaters.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast