Ugly Commute to Work | Golden Skate

Ugly Commute to Work

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well, it does not snow much in the lower mainland (Vancouver and area) but mother nature decided to take us all by surprise today. It took me almost 4 hours to get to work this morning. It's usually a 20-40 minute drive for me, but I decided to take public transit as the roads were not salted or plowed. I left at 7:30 am and I did not get to work until 11:30 am. Thank goodness I have the rest of the week off.

:bang:

Wow! That's some commute. Was it still actively snowing, or did you just have to get through snowdrifts?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oy! That's no fun! Hope your future commutes go much more smoothly than that!

heyang

Record Breaker
Ugh, sorry you had such a bad commut today, but it just reminded me that I'm really not looking forward to evening commutes home when it rains or snows for the next couple of years. We have a major road construction project right where we exit onto a major highway. The intersection was always dangerous, but it's even more so now and the project was delayed because the temporary road collapsed after 24 hours use and everything has pretty much stopped since then (August). It used to take at most 10 minutes to exit our access road. Now, it takes at least 20 minutes if you leave between 4:15pm and 5pm. Then it just takes longer until about 6pm. When there's a traffic problem, we've waited til 6:30 to leave, instead of sitting out in the parking lot that's backed up the length of the road to the top level of our 4 level parking lot and still have to wait 20 minutes on the exit road. AND so far, it's been dry in the evening. Heavy rain or snow will mean even more delays since it will be even harder to judge oncoming traffic. Can't wait for the days to start staying lighter longer so it's easier to see again. Pity party over.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
You can send all snow to Seward, Alaska - we haven't done any tours so far this winter because of lack of snow! :no:

pitterpatter

On the Ice
First major snow day in Vancouver is always a gong show. Luckily I had my last exam yesterday, but a bunch of friends spent about 3 hours getting to campus (walking part of the way there on foot) only to discover that exams were cancelled, the power was out and there were no busses leaving the school.