Thread: Asada, Kim begin road to second Olympic showdown

Hybrid View

Medalist

News Asada, Kim begin road to second Olympic showdown

And so it begins...

oh boyy... and the drama begins in 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2..............

Custom Title

Quote Originally Posted by Crystallize View Post
    Who can beat YUNA technically? If she has the jump content she did in Vancouver, skates relatively clean, she would win. I wonder if artistically she can compete with half a dozen better skaters. Jumps return to ladies via ms Kim. Jump fans should be thrilled she is back.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Who can beat YUNA technically? If she has the jump content she did in Vancouver, skates relatively clean, she would win. I wonder if artistically she can compete with half a dozen better skaters. Jumps return to ladies via ms Kim. Jump fans should be thrilled she is back.
    Yuna is certainly not all about jumps.

Custom Title
    Kostner on a really special earth-moon-star-apollo 13 aligned day.
    7 triples without edge/UR call, with level 4 steps and spins will blow everyone out of the water, including Yuna in Vancouver.

The problem is this girl can't skate a clean program. But she can. Hypothetically speaking, of course. I would cry like a baby the day Kostner delivers this kind of program.

Custom Title
    I wonder if artistically she can compete with half a dozen better skaters.
    Not trying to sound so Yunamaniac, but I gotta disagree. Yuna is a reason I fell in love with skating again - and it was one of her programs where she fell. She gets the subtlety and depth of expression that I've always longed for in skating, which is different from broadway-esque American figure. It's not even about nationality, since I didn't know she was Korean. After the 2007 Worlds, the JAPANESE media advertised her as the artistic skater vs Mao of 3A.

And yes... I do enjoy her undisputable jumps, too.
    Last edited by bebevia; 12-19-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Banned
    Yu Na has consistently had the highest PCS of any lady thoughout her career.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel5555 View Post
    I would be cautious in evaluating her performance at Zagreb, because personally I didn't see a good video with it. On what I saw, I can't really conclude whether or not it was truly the score she had to receive. But it wasn't an unusual score for her.
    I do understand why people don't like when someone wins by PCS, because, first of all, it is always more subjective than TES and then PCS are simply not very impressive compared to jumps. The problem is that polishing skating skills and transitions requires a lot of work and talent, almost the same amount as for jumps. This is why so many people don't get Patrick Chan or Carolina Kostner (heck, I myself don't really get Patrick that much)... But the system has to be balanced somehow and it would be unfair to break the balance in favor of jumps, I guess. It doesn't help that judges generally tend to be generous with PCS and that, unlike TES, PCS doesn't vary so much - you can have a bad day and make tons of mistakes on jumps, but you can't forget your skating skills.
    I guess we still have to accept this, because changing this fragile balance would affect figure skating very much and, probably, not for good.
    The quality of that video was not good, so it's hard to judge whether or not it was deserving. Given that it was the B competition and Caro was superior to anyone in that competition, I'm fine with her PCS.
    I was complaining about win by PCS, but the irony is that I still like Caro and love Patrick even though they make many mistakes and take golds thanks to their huge PCS, lol. I don't want to see win by PCS, but I don't like to see jumping bean's winning, either. LOL.

Kim Sun Young of Yu Na's management agency, All That Sports, informed Ice Time in an email from Seoul on Monday that a decision on her participation on the Four Continents will come next month.
    "She hasn't decided to go Osaka yet. I can tell you in January if she will compete at Four CC or not," the email stated.
    Kim Sun Young confirmed that Yu Na will next lace up her skates for the Korean nationals (Jan. 4-6).
    I hope Yuna goes to 4CC, she needs to experience big competition before Worlds.

BTW that picture of Yuna is... Great air position, though!

Quote Originally Posted by naan View Post
    The quality of that video was not good, so it's hard to judge whether or not it was deserving. Given that it was the B competition and Caro was superior to anyone in that competition, I'm fine with her PCS.
    I was complaining about win by PCS, but the irony is that I still like Caro and love Patrick even though they make many mistakes and take golds thanks to their huge PCS, lol. I don't want to see win by PCS, but I don't like to see jumping bean's winning, either. LOL.

I hope Yuna goes to 4CC, she needs to experience big competition before Worlds.

BTW that picture of Yuna is... Great air position, though!
    That's a very interesting development. Yuna's agency had been rather firm up until now that she was only competing at NRW Trophy, Korean Nationals and Worlds. Now they've publicly acknowledged that Yuna is seriously considering 4CC? She's definitely more serious about this season than in 2010-2011.

I think it would be a great boost for her to compete in another high-profile international event before Worlds. She does have nationals, but that's hardly a "competition" for her.

Custom Title
    Yuna's story is pretty much the same but Mao is radically different with no ability to do triple Axels anymore or no ability to do more than 4 triples in a free skate. Mao is terrible at jumps now and would have to go to Sochi as the great artistic skater with severe jump impairments but her sky high pcs and spin and step levels can make triple jumps mostly meaningless.

Aftertherain - i fixed it

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Yes. He's more in the Alexei Urmanov range. He did his best work on that one important night, but I doubt that any of his performances are on anyone's "I'll Never Forget" list the way that, for example, Yagudin's Man in the Iron Mask is.
    I prefer Evan's Carmen in 2006 and 2007 to Yags' MITIM. I liked Yags' Gladiator more.