Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Asada, Kim begin road to second Olympic showdown

Rinkside
    It might be if she clean her programme. I like her jump, but problem is consistency;;;;;

Rinkside
    When did Kostner clean her program??

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Kostner with a 7 triples will blow Kim out of the water.
    If she skates a clean 7 triples, you think the judges will give Kim with 6 triples a win? This is Kostner, not Tuktamisheva.
    When is the last time she did 7 triples include the lutz? Vid pls.

Rinkside
    Yes right!!!!!! She was glorious at that day!!!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I agree with those who see Sotnikova as the only newbie threat right now. Her consistency and confidence have taken serious hits in the last season BUT make no mistake, if she were to hit all her tricks and go clean, she'll be on that podium. To quote Scott, Adelina has everything: gorgeous lines and extension, flexibility, speed, solid edges, humongous and difficult jumps, great spins, presentation, personality and that all important spark. Yeah, she has a flutz but that's a minor issue...everything else is incredible. Her major roadblock is her nerves. If by some miracle she's able to about-face and get herself together, she'll be a gold medal threat.

Liza T has the technical content but lacks too many other things; Julia has guts but I don't think she'll be soup by Sochi; Gracie has the technical content but will need a Kwan-esque transformation to get her presentation where it needs to be to compete with the likes of Yu-Na, Mao, Carolina and the other top ladies.
    I just love how when you comment on Adelina you mention many good things, many not so good things, like recent lack of stability, flutz and her nerves, but those negative things are nothing; meanwhile everyone else "lacks too many other things" or whatever.
    Look, all of those young ladies are pretty freaking awesome. As you said, make no mistake, if any of top ladies is to "hit all her tricks and go clean" then she'll get a huge amount of points. Potentially almost any top lady can do this, the difference between great ones and good ones lies in that great ones did so, while others yet have to do that. So potentially any of those can be a "gold threat".

I appreciate the opinion of Scott, but objectively there is nothing that definitely separates Adelina from the rest. Russia has been blessed with awesome young skaters.

As about the thread: the madness continues, part infinite... I wonder if there is at least one of journalists that has a bit of decency and took note of that both Mao Asada and Yuna Kim are sick and tired of mentioning their encounters as some sort of showdown between the two. As most of their fans are as well.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel5555 View Post
    I just love how when you comment on Adelina you mention many good things, many not so good things, like recent lack of stability, flutz and her nerves, but those negative things are nothing; meanwhile everyone else "lacks too many other things" or whatever.
    Look, all of those young ladies are pretty freaking awesome. As you said, make no mistake, if any of top ladies is to "hit all her tricks and go clean" then she'll get a huge amount of points. Potentially almost any top lady can do this, the difference between great ones and good ones lies in that great ones did so, while others yet have to do that. So potentially any of those can be a "gold threat".

I appreciate the opinion of Scott, but objectively there is nothing that definitely separates Adelina from the rest. Russia has been blessed with awesome young skaters.

As about the thread: the madness continues, part infinite... I wonder if there is at least one of journalists that has a bit of decency and took note of that both Mao Asada and Yuna Kim are sick and tired of mentioning their encounters as some sort of showdown between the two. As most of their fans are as well.
    Adelina is different than the rest. She actually gets terrific marks when she isn't clean, which is usually something that only the very top skaters benefit from. She's fast, her spins are among the most difficult in the world, and she can do a 7 triple long program. Aside from her current jump problems, her total package is on par with the very best in the world, including YuNa, Mao, and Carolina.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    When is the last time she did 7 triples include the lutz? Vid pls.
    It is not as rare as a unicorn.
    I know she has the potential to do it at the current moment, judging from what she did in practice a few days ago. All there, she just have to put it together.

The point wasn't loathers had done it. The point is if she does it, how wide the gap between her and the other ladies will be. I couldn't think of a single person who can beat a clean 7-triples kostner at this point in her career.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Adelina is different than the rest. She actually gets terrific marks when she isn't clean, which is usually something that only the very top skaters benefit from. She's fast, her spins are among the most difficult in the world, and she can do a 7 triple long program. Aside from her current jump problems, her total package is on par with the very best in the world, including YuNa, Mao, and Carolina.
    Adelina for me is already a very top skater for the reasons you mentioned, but I think that, generally, others also have something special about them. Meanwhile her jump problems at that age is not something that should be taken lightly. I mean, I don't deny that she is great, but marking her as the only potential gold threat is simply wrong, that's what I'm trying to say.

Rinkside
    I really hope to see her in Euro and expect that she will show her full potential.

Rinkside
    I know she has the potential to do it at the current moment, judging from what she did in practice a few days ago. All there, she just have to put it together.

The point wasn't loathers had done it. The point is if she does it, how wide the gap between her and the other ladies will be. I couldn't think of a single person who can beat a clean 7-triples kostner at this point in her career.
    I really hope to see her in Euro and expect that she will show her full potential.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel5555 View Post
    Adelina for me is already a very top skater for the reasons you mentioned, but I think that, generally, others also have something special about them. Meanwhile her jump problems at that age is not something that should be taken lightly. I mean, I don't deny that she is great, but marking her as the only potential gold threat is simply wrong, that's what I'm trying to say.
    There are many very good Russian ladies, but to me Adelina has the most potential to be a legend. If I were a judge and all the top ladies skated clean with an identical BV, I would mark Adelina very close to Mao and YuNa. Mao has the best footwork and transitions, YuNa has the best jumps and overall skating skills, and Adelina has the best spins and huge jumps as well.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    There are many very good Russian ladies, but to me Adelina has the most potential to be a legend. If I were a judge and all the top ladies skated clean with an identical BV, I would mark Adelina very close to Mao and YuNa. Mao has the best footwork and transitions, YuNa has the best jumps and overall skating skills, and Adelina has the best spins and huge jumps as well.
    I think this can be really a question of personal preferences My favorite among young Russian skaters is Liza, so probably I would be inclined to see her as having most potential among them to be anything. Julia seems to be a favorite to many people as well, I've seen a lot of people saying that she's the best.

Custom Title

Well consider at her latest competition attempt she failed even the minimum TES requirement and had just 1 clean 3T, I am not so optimistic. I do look forward to Europeans Championships to see if this could just be a fluke. However if the standard of judging continues like this and reward her high PCS regardless of how she performs on the day (She got higher PCS with this performance than Akiko at NHK), this system of judging would seems terribly wrong.
    Last edited by os168; 12-19-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Carolina's weakness currently is in the short. Her SP will not allow her to touch a clean Yuna. Yuna's SP ceiling is extremely high, with all levels maxed and a clean performance she's likely to score 75 points at Worlds. I would not be surprised if her PCS goes higher than Vancouver, since PCS have been trending up in recent years. The SP has always given her a comfortable cushion for mistakes in the free skate.

If Carolina does 3F+3T and solo 3Lz in the SP, she'll have a chance at catching up to Yuna. But if her SP is 5+ points below Yuna, she'll be lucky to beat her even with a clean 7-triple program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Well consider at her latest competition attempt she failed even the minimum TES requirement and had just 1 clean 3T, I am not so optimistic. I do look forward to Europeans Championships to see if this could just be a fluke. However if the standard of judging continues like this and reward her high PCS regardless of how she performs on the day (She got higher PCS with this performance than Akiko at NHK), this system of judging would seems terribly wrong.
    The thing that seems terribly wrong is not the system, but your understanding of it, because PCS are independent from TES. Carolina always had superb skating skills, transitions and generally everything that constitutes PCS. No matter how bad she did with jumps, everything else was mostly there and could hardly go away. The PCS she received are perfectly in line with her abilities.
    So, no, this system of judgement would not "seems" terribly wrong.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast