Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 162

Thread: Asada, Kim begin road to second Olympic showdown

  1. #121
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    I hate the Mao vs Kim rivarly.
    I love the one they have on the ice - the one brought on by the media and fans, not so much.

  2. #122
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    That's a great distinction, Toni. I do love that they are almost the tent poles of excellence in ladies' skating, even now, but certainly in 2006 through 2010. The sniping of some fans is not worthy of these two excellent skaters, both of whom will live on in the annals of skating long after their careers end.

  3. #123
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    That's a great distinction, Toni. I do love that they are almost the tent poles of excellence in ladies' skating, even now, but certainly in 2006 through 2010. The sniping of some fans is not worthy of these two excellent skaters, both of whom will live on in the annals of skating long after their careers end.
    I felt the same way with the Evan - Johnny wars. If you could ignore their bickering in the media, as well as the stuff on message boards you could enjoy the qualities of both made being a skating fan easier!

    That being said, I'm not sure either lady will make it to the showdown and go one and two again...

  4. #124
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    1,799
    Japanese media is living in la-la land. I know Mao won the GPF, but that was only because her compeition went on a splat fest, That won't happen in Sochi, therefore Mao who became a UR and popping machine lately, ain't medaling at the next Olympics.

  5. #125
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I felt the same way with the Evan - Johnny wars. If you could ignore their bickering in the media, as well as the stuff on message boards you could enjoy the qualities of both made being a skating fan easier!

    That being said, I'm not sure either lady will make it to the showdown and go one and two again...
    How come? They're both pretty much committed to it. Yuna said she'll compete up to Sochi and then retire, and she's pretty good at keeping her publicized word. As for Mao, there's no doubt she's aiming for Sochi. The only thing that could stand in their way is injury. I'm sure we'll see both of them at Sochi, barring some catastrophe.

  6. #126
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    How come? They're both pretty much committed to it. Yuna said she'll compete up to Sochi and then retire, and she's pretty good at keeping her publicized word. As for Mao, there's no doubt she's aiming for Sochi. The only thing that could stand in their way is injury. I'm sure we'll see both of them at Sochi, barring some catastrophe.
    I don't mean that they won't be in Sochi - I just don't think it'll be the showdown for the top again.

  7. #127
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,346
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    Japanese media is living in la-la land. I know Mao won the GPF, but that was only because her compeition went on a splat fest, That won't happen in Sochi, therefore Mao who became a UR and popping machine lately, ain't medaling at the next Olympics.
    Surely, you can't know that for sure. For all we know, it could be another 2006 Olympics ladies' LP.

    Personally, I like the Yuna/Mao rivalry. They seem to push each other, which it great, but like Tonichelle, I don't like the media/fanwars that inevitably come with it.

    Also-- Am I the only one bothered by the lack of "continuity" in the title? "Mao, Kim" sounds so strange. "Mao, Yuna" or "Asada, Kim" sounds better.

  8. #128
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    593
    With all due respect. How do you what is going 2 happen a year from now. One thing Asada has shown is that she should never be understimated.

  9. #129
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,666
    Aftertherain - i fixed it

  10. #130
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,819
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    How come? They're both pretty much committed to it. Yuna said she'll compete up to Sochi and then retire, and she's pretty good at keeping her publicized word. As for Mao, there's no doubt she's aiming for Sochi. The only thing that could stand in their way is injury. I'm sure we'll see both of them at Sochi, barring some catastrophe.
    She also once said publicly she will have Orser as her coach always until she retires. So no, nothing can be taken as a guarantee. Maybe that's a good thing because I am sure many of her fans will be delighted if she competes at the 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea.

  11. #131
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,819
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I don't mean that they won't be in Sochi - I just don't think it'll be the showdown for the top again.
    Sadly yes, you are right. With Mao's continuous struggle and seeing how she won the Japanese Nationals with a total of 5 clean triples using her SP and LP combined, that showdown is not promising at all.

  12. #132
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,346
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Sadly yes, you are right. With Mao's continuous struggle and seeing how she won the Japanese Nationals with a total of 5 clean triples using her SP and LP combined, that showdown is not promising at all.
    It shows that other elements besides jumps are being taken into account.

    ETA:
    (Thanks, Tonichelle!)
    Last edited by aftertherain; 12-23-2012 at 01:54 PM.

  13. #133
    Custom Title mary01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Sadly yes, you are right. With Mao's continuous struggle and seeing how she won the Japanese Nationals with a total of 5 clean triples using her SP and LP combined, that showdown is not promising at all.
    Mao had 6 triples in the free skate alone (through one was slightly two footed), with level 4 on all her spins and steps, i would say if that wasn't impressive i don't know what would be!

  14. #134
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,634
    Quote Originally Posted by mary01 View Post
    Mao had 6 triples in the free skate alone (through one was slightly two footed), with level 4 on all her spins and steps, i would say if that wasn't impressive i don't know what would be!
    Mao has occasionally had very good skates in the past few years, but she just has not been able to produce the quality as consistently as she used to. What gives me hope for Mao is (a) at least one of her 3A's in practice looked strong and fully rotated and (b) the 3T on her 2A-3T is HUGE and I see no reason why she can't do a 3F-3T if she commits to training it. I think the 3S and 3Z are always going to be shaky jumps for her, but she landed both this weekend so it is possible for her to hit these under pressure.

  15. #135
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,550
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    She also once said publicly she will have Orser as her coach always until she retires. So no, nothing can be taken as a guarantee. Maybe that's a good thing because I am sure many of her fans will be delighted if she competes at the 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea.
    Well, that was before whatever broke them up, and at the time I'm sure she thought she would retire after Vancouver. But as far as statements of competition, I don't doubt her word. She said she'd go to Worlds 2010 after the Olympics, when she basically no reason to, and she did. She said she'd go to Worlds 2011, when everyone expected her not to, and she did. She said she'd return to competition this season, when everyone doubted her words and the current state of her skills, and she showed up in Germany with her jumps still intact, with a 3Lz+3T in both the SP and LP. She was a little rusty, but clearly nothing a few more months of training can't refine.

    Nothing is guaranteed in figured skating, and I meant no such thing if you read my post carefully. I said we can expect them (Mao and Yuna) to be Sochi, barring injury or catastrophe.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •