Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Takahashi gears up for remainder of season

News Takahashi gears up for remainder of season

Daisuke Takahashi is Japan’s most decorated male skater in history and has just added another historic title to his impressive resume: He became the first Japanese man to win the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final earlier this month. His other “firsts” include: first Japanese man to win Worlds (in 2010), to take an Olympic medal (bronze in 2010), and to become World Junior Champion (in 2002).

More

Custom Title
    I love the way how Daisuke sees the recent Grand Prix Final and its result.

While he didn’t lose to them, he feels that he didn’t really beat them either.

“I won, but I was placed third in the free skating,” he pointed out. “I couldn’t beat them. I know what my challenges and my issues are and I hope the lessons learned here make me improve further.”
    Thank you so much for the great article! My tiniest complaint, if you allow me ever to express it; 'Should there have been a nicer photo of him attached to this great article, which shows Dai a bit taller with longer legs , it would have been just perfect and much appreciated by me probably.'

Custom Title
    That's our Daisuke!

When you hear him speak, it's plain that he has taken a lot of his fate into his own hands. He collaborates with his coach(es); he doesn't follow coaching directives submissively as a younger skater might feel obligated to do.

One distressing thing: he says that when he retires, he doesn't see himself as a show skater. He wants to coach or do something else involved with skating but not to skate himself. Say it ain't so, Daisuke! You live in one of the few countries that currently has a healthy pro circuit, and we could get to see you innovate for a few more years (on YouTube, if nowhere else). And you're LEAVING US? Never!

What I love about Dai is how he openly shows his vulnerability. He's so honest in front of the media about his bumpy road to Sochi and how it's not going to be smooth sailing. He kind of tells people that this is what it is, just ride along with him for the next year and leave all the high expectations at home knowing that he'll do the absolute best he can. It's hard not to root for him.

So I guess he's really just stopping at Sochi and not finishing at Worlds in Japan.

I'm proud of Dai, but I'm a little concerned about one detail in the article:

“During this season, and after my injury even in practice, I wasn’t able to land my second quad, but I was actually able to do that,” he pointed out. “I think that will be another boost and hopefully will build my confidence. Now I know that I can do it. I think it’s another step forward.”

What exactly is this injury he's referring to? I haven't heard much about it and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it...
    I'm a little concerned.

Pretty sure he's talking about his 2008-2009 season injury. The injury that was almost career ending.

That was a great and open interview with Dai. Thank you!
    He really wears his heart on his sleeve.

Olympia-I can understand why Dai does not see himself as a show skater after retirement.
    He has been competing at elite level for a very long time and is probably looking forward to a long rest.
    Let's hope he changes his mind along the way.

On the Ice
    That’s not good. IMO Daisuke will make a really good show skater. He has good showmanship. Even if he skates his old programs such as Swan Lake and Eye at shows the audience will still like them. But if he doesn’t want to be a show skater then we’ll just respect his decision. Good wishes to him no matter what he decides.

Custom Title
    I really want him to win his 2nd World title and definitely think he can. If he can skate his LP cleanly he can easily score over 190 I believe, which would be hard for even a clean Hanyu or clean Chan to beat. It would also finally put his career past Evan Lysaceks which would be long overdue, as he is a way better skater than Lysacek ever was.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by starryxskies View Post
    Pretty sure he's talking about his 2008-2009 season injury. The injury that was almost career ending.
    Exactly. He was referring to that old injury. Sorry for not clarifying it in the article.

Thanks for the excellent article, Tatjana!

Custom Title
    Wow, over 10 years since he won junior world's . Longevity. To think most thought he would win world's in tokyo and retire and now he is out for gold in Sochi - and probably one of the favourites if not the guy to beat.

skating philosopher
    In case anyone was wondering: His FS from 2002 JW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-lbt1Cwl3U

Custom Title
    I am very surprised to know that Daisuke intends not to have much focus on skating after he retired because
    I can't imagine the shows without him (especially in Japan).
    I hope he will change his mind!!

Banned
    I am not sure I follow why everyone assumed that he won't be in ice shows after retirement. In what language the interview was conducted? T.Flade doesn't speak Japanese, but she wants to study it as this interview with her to Mosfigurist says (stroll down): http://ffkm.ru/images/mf/Figurist_2012_3_27.pdf What does it mean "a show skater"? Takeshi Honda also coaches/teaches and skates in shows on regular basis. Moreover, untill Shizuka is in business, she won't let her cash cow for FOI simply vanish. Then, Dai's fans won't deal with his absence on the ice. No way. But, the most powerful thing is his desire to skate. Because that is what he truly likes and enjoys. I am sure after Sochi Dai will be in all ice shows possible, especially in Japan, and in Russia/Europe too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast