Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Takahashi gears up for remainder of season

I really hope that Daisuke will skate in shows after he retires - I can't imagine never getting to see him skate again :( He has so much personality, perfect for show skating. I've heard him say this before in articles, though. I remember reading somewhere that he said he wouldn't want to necessarily continue skating himself because he felt that when he got older he wouldn't be able to be as good as he used to be, and he didn't want to skate for people if he couldn't be his best. I hope he will continue in shows, but I'll be okay with whatever he chooses. I think he has a lot of potential as a coach.

Also, he keeps saying that he wants to retire after Sochi, but I think he should keep going and retire at the 2014 Worlds, instead, solely because they are in Japan. He missed his chance to compete at Worlds in Japan in 2011 because of the earthquake, but he would have another opportunity to do that if he stayed till Worlds 2014. It seems like the perfect place for him to end his career, in his home country where he is so beloved. Just my opinion. (However, if Dai does win the OGM, I'm fine with him retiring right then and there )

Talking about Daisuke's retirement is making me sad. Figure skating will not be the same for me :(

Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    I am not sure I follow why everyone assumed that he won't be in ice shows after retirement.
    I'm not sure either. The impression that was left was that he would probably perform in shows occasionally, but doesn't want to be a show skater full time. He never said that he wouldn't skate in shows, just that his focus wouldn't be on his own skating anymore (but that doesn't totally exclude performances).

Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    T.Flade doesn't speak Japanese,....
    Nor do many other writers who interview Japanese skaters

The interview was conducted with the help of a professional interpreter (English-Japanese). When asked about the shows, Takahashi said through the interpreter what was quoted.

Custom Title
    That sounds at least a little more bearable, gsk8. I can cope if Daisuke still performs sometimes. He's not just any old champion skater: his art is too good to lose to the mists of time. I know that watching him as a pro will give us the same exhilaration as watching Browning or Lambiel or Shizuka skating, with splendid choreography and free from the constraints of CoP rules. Now I can look forward to that again. Thanks for the clarification!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    That sounds at least a little more bearable, gsk8. I can cope if Daisuke still performs sometimes. He's not just any old champion skater: his art is too good to lose to the mists of time. I know that watching him as a pro will give us the same exhilaration as watching Browning or Lambiel or Shizuka skating, with splendid choreography and free from the constraints of CoP rules. Now I can look forward to that again. Thanks for the clarification!
    Ditto and I add my thanks to gsk8!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2