Takahashi gears up for remainder of season | Golden Skate

Takahashi gears up for remainder of season

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Daisuke Takahashi is Japan’s most decorated male skater in history and has just added another historic title to his impressive resume: He became the first Japanese man to win the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final earlier this month. His other “firsts” include: first Japanese man to win Worlds (in 2010), to take an Olympic medal (bronze in 2010), and to become World Junior Champion (in 2002).

More

deedee1

Record Breaker
I love the way how Daisuke sees the recent Grand Prix Final and its result. :yes:

While he didn’t lose to them, he feels that he didn’t really beat them either.

“I won, but I was placed third in the free skating,” he pointed out. “I couldn’t beat them. I know what my challenges and my issues are and I hope the lessons learned here make me improve further.”

Thank you so much for the great article! :) My tiniest complaint, if you allow me ever to express it; 'Should there have been a nicer photo of him attached to this great article, which shows Dai a bit taller with longer legs ;), it would have been just perfect and much appreciated by me probably.' :biggrin:

That's our Daisuke!

When you hear him speak, it's plain that he has taken a lot of his fate into his own hands. He collaborates with his coach(es); he doesn't follow coaching directives submissively as a younger skater might feel obligated to do.

One distressing thing: he says that when he retires, he doesn't see himself as a show skater. He wants to coach or do something else involved with skating but not to skate himself. Say it ain't so, Daisuke! You live in one of the few countries that currently has a healthy pro circuit, and we could get to see you innovate for a few more years (on YouTube, if nowhere else). And you're LEAVING US? Never!

starryxskies

On the Ice
What I love about Dai is how he openly shows his vulnerability. He's so honest in front of the media about his bumpy road to Sochi and how it's not going to be smooth sailing. He kind of tells people that this is what it is, just ride along with him for the next year and leave all the high expectations at home knowing that he'll do the absolute best he can. It's hard not to root for him.

So I guess he's really just stopping at Sochi and not finishing at Worlds in Japan.

Snoopy15

On the Ice
I'm proud of Dai, but I'm a little concerned about one detail in the article:

“During this season, and after my injury even in practice, I wasn’t able to land my second quad, but I was actually able to do that,” he pointed out. “I think that will be another boost and hopefully will build my confidence. Now I know that I can do it. I think it’s another step forward.”

What exactly is this injury he's referring to? I haven't heard much about it and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it...
I'm a little concerned.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
That was a great and open interview with Dai. Thank you!
He really wears his heart on his sleeve.

Olympia-I can understand why Dai does not see himself as a show skater after retirement.
He has been competing at elite level for a very long time and is probably looking forward to a long rest.
Let's hope he changes his mind along the way.

Aesthetics

Rinkside
That’s not good. :no: IMO Daisuke will make a really good show skater. He has good showmanship. Even if he skates his old programs such as Swan Lake and Eye at shows the audience will still like them. But if he doesn’t want to be a show skater then we’ll just respect his decision. Good wishes to him no matter what he decides. :)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I really want him to win his 2nd World title and definitely think he can. If he can skate his LP cleanly he can easily score over 190 I believe, which would be hard for even a clean Hanyu or clean Chan to beat. It would also finally put his career past Evan Lysaceks which would be long overdue, as he is a way better skater than Lysacek ever was.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wow, over 10 years since he won junior world's . Longevity. To think most thought he would win world's in tokyo and retire and now he is out for gold in Sochi - and probably one of the favourites if not the guy to beat.

yude

Record Breaker
I am very surprised to know that Daisuke intends not to have much focus on skating after he retired because
I can't imagine the shows without him (especially in Japan).
I hope he will change his mind!!

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I am not sure I follow why everyone assumed that he won't be in ice shows after retirement. In what language the interview was conducted? T.Flade doesn't speak Japanese, but she wants to study it as this interview with her to Mosfigurist says (stroll down): http://ffkm.ru/images/mf/Figurist_2012_3_27.pdf What does it mean "a show skater"? Takeshi Honda also coaches/teaches and skates in shows on regular basis. Moreover, untill Shizuka is in business, she won't let her cash cow for FOI simply vanish. Then, Dai's fans won't deal with his absence on the ice. No way. But, the most powerful thing is his desire to skate. Because that is what he truly likes and enjoys. I am sure after Sochi Dai will be in all ice shows possible, especially in Japan, and in Russia/Europe too.

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
I really hope that Daisuke will skate in shows after he retires - I can't imagine never getting to see him skate again :( He has so much personality, perfect for show skating. I've heard him say this before in articles, though. I remember reading somewhere that he said he wouldn't want to necessarily continue skating himself because he felt that when he got older he wouldn't be able to be as good as he used to be, and he didn't want to skate for people if he couldn't be his best. I hope he will continue in shows, but I'll be okay with whatever he chooses. I think he has a lot of potential as a coach.

Also, he keeps saying that he wants to retire after Sochi, but I think he should keep going and retire at the 2014 Worlds, instead, solely because they are in Japan. He missed his chance to compete at Worlds in Japan in 2011 because of the earthquake, but he would have another opportunity to do that if he stayed till Worlds 2014. It seems like the perfect place for him to end his career, in his home country where he is so beloved. Just my opinion. (However, if Dai does win the OGM, I'm fine with him retiring right then and there :) )

Talking about Daisuke's retirement is making me sad. Figure skating will not be the same for me :(

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am not sure I follow why everyone assumed that he won't be in ice shows after retirement.

I'm not sure either. The impression that was left was that he would probably perform in shows occasionally, but doesn't want to be a show skater full time. He never said that he wouldn't skate in shows, just that his focus wouldn't be on his own skating anymore (but that doesn't totally exclude performances).

T.Flade doesn't speak Japanese,....

Nor do many other writers who interview Japanese skaters ;)

The interview was conducted with the help of a professional interpreter (English-Japanese). When asked about the shows, Takahashi said through the interpreter what was quoted.

That sounds at least a little more bearable, gsk8. I can cope if Daisuke still performs sometimes. He's not just any old champion skater: his art is too good to lose to the mists of time. I know that watching him as a pro will give us the same exhilaration as watching Browning or Lambiel or Shizuka skating, with splendid choreography and free from the constraints of CoP rules. Now I can look forward to that again. Thanks for the clarification!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
That sounds at least a little more bearable, gsk8. I can cope if Daisuke still performs sometimes. He's not just any old champion skater: his art is too good to lose to the mists of time. I know that watching him as a pro will give us the same exhilaration as watching Browning or Lambiel or Shizuka skating, with splendid choreography and free from the constraints of CoP rules. Now I can look forward to that again. Thanks for the clarification!

Ditto and I add my thanks to gsk8!