Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Japanese Nationals Ladies

Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Mao's footwork was just amazing. I wonder which judge gave her -2 on her spiral?
    What spiral? Which protocol are you talking about? There's no spiral seq in short & I posted short program protocols

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    What spiral? Which protocol are you talking about? There's no spiral seq in short & I posted short program protocols
    The poster probably meant her FS where one judge gave her -2 for ChSq while others gave +1/+2/+3 GOE. Mao was awfully good today. So warm and charming. In general FS in Ladies was not that boring to watch as SP yesterday. Juniors did especially well.

Congtras to Mao with the 6th JC title!

Poor Akiko. :( I thought she was going to win. I'm glad she still is going to Worlds and 4CC though!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Poor Akiko. :( I thought she was going to win. I'm glad she still is going to Worlds and 4CC though!
    Only because the Bronze medalist is not age eligible. In other words, Akiko qualified by default, so much for the gazillion threads this season stating she has been robbed yet she ended up having to be gifted a spot to go to the Worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    Who said anything about the SP? I was talking about the LP.

Custom Title
    There is something fundamentally wrong with ladies skating right now and we saw a glimpse of it during the SP - the winner was someone who landed a Triple Toe + Double Toe combo and the 2nd place finisher merely did a single loop and one Triple, a Flip. Both skaters scored 60+ for such performance. Heck, in 1982, ladies could do better than that, if CoP was implemented back then.

Fastforward to the LP, Mao Asada eventually won the LP with 4 clean triples, not counting the Lutz because it received overall negative GOE and most likely a wrong edge take off. So a lady who merely landed 4 clean Triples not only won but with a score of 130+? Whereas the men went the complete different direction, the ladies are not stagnant, they are regressing and downright depressing to watch. For this sport to grow, the ladies cannot afford to produce champions who can be beaten by women 3 generations before them, even prior to the time of Midori Ito, that's just insane to think about in 2012.

The sad truth is, this Japanese Nationals is merely a reflection of the ill in ladies skating given the same phenomenon is observed elsewhere as well.

I pray that this situation will change soon.

Tripping on the Podium
    Oh my god! I love Kanako's LP sooooo much! Of course maybe it's because I'm a fan of Piazolla music but still, I love the arrangement and the choreography. It seems like she did a lot better in the second half of the program compared to the first half. What I like about her is that when it goes well on the ice, it appears on her face right away and it makes me smile. Although the downside is that she shows her nervousness on her face as well but I believe she can work on that

Funny thing is if you add their TES from SP and LP, the difference between Mao and Kanako is only 0.01 point. I don't want to imply anything here but it's just interesting.
    Last edited by sather; 12-23-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    There is something fundamentally wrong with ladies skating right now and we saw a glimpse of it during the SP - the winner was someone who landed a Triple Toe + Double Toe combo and the 2nd place finisher merely did a single loop and one Triple, a Flip. Both skaters scored 60+ for such performance. Heck, in 1982, ladies could do better than that, if CoP was implemented back then.

Fastforward to the LP, Mao Asada eventually won the LP with 4 clean triples, not counting the Lutz because it received overall negative GOE and most likely a wrong edge take off. So a lady who merely landed 4 clean Triples not only won but with a score of 130+? Whereas the men went the complete different direction, the ladies are not stagnant, they are regressing and downright depressing to watch. For this sport to grow, the ladies cannot afford to produce champions who can be beaten by women 3 generations before them, even prior to the time of Midori Ito, that's just insane to think about in 2012.

The sad truth is, this Japanese Nationals is merely a reflection of the ill in ladies skating given the same phenomenon is observed elsewhere as well.

By that logic, Sasha Cohen landed maybe 3 clean triples to win some of her medal?
    Michelle landed at max 4 clean triples to win her many World titles?
    Kristi landed 2 clean triples to win her Olympics?

Get over it.

Custom Title

I agree. What is going on isn't good. You list a bunch of 6.0 results as a defense of what is going on in COP. How about a real lutz? How about jumps with positive GOE or jumps that are fully rotated. This is what is possible in COP so edge calls, negative GOE and underrotations don't have to be the case. Just because someone has to win doesn't mean the win is a good thing.

Medalist

I agree. The past few years, the men have been progressing in most areas (not only jumps), but the ladies have become a mess when it comes to difficult elements, especially jumps. The artistic aspect of ladies skating has seen better days, too.
    Last edited by Riemann; 12-23-2012 at 01:50 PM.

I would recommend you to rewatch the competition again and look at the protocols there you will see that Asada had 6 triple including level 4 on all her spins and steps... so I really don't see what you are trying to say?

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by mary01 View Post
    I would recommend you to rewatch the competition again and look at the protocols there you will see that Asada had 6 triple including level 4 on all her spins and steps... so I really don't see what you are trying to say?
    It says 'clean triples' and that rules out two-footed flip.

Quote Originally Posted by sather View Post
    It says 'clean triples' and that rules out two-footed flip.
    She may have two footed her flip, but the program remains with six triples executed and with level 4 on all her spins and steps and that was an amazing technical accomplishment, especially considering all the transitions, speed, and little preparation she had going into every jump! I can't think of any skater being capable of skating to her programs! that was a exquisite performance from her both technically and artistically!

Quote Originally Posted by mary01 View Post
    She may have two footed her flip, but the program remains with six triples executed and with level 4 on all her spins and steps and that was an amazing technical accomplishment, especially considering all the transitions, speed, and little preparation she had going into every jump! I can't think of any skater being capable of skating to her programs! that was a exquisite performance from her both technically and artistically!
    You misunderstood wallylutz's post and sather clarified it for you.

Therefore, while Mao's program was beautiful with six triples attempted, the fact remains that she did only execute 4 clean triples in the LP; less than what she is surely capable of.
    Last edited by aftertherain; 12-23-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Medalist
    Only because the Bronze medalist is not age eligible. In other words, Akiko qualified by default, so much for the gazillion threads this season stating she has been robbed yet she ended up having to be gifted a spot to go to the Worlds.
    I don't think that placing lower than Satoko is such a bad thing. Satoko is just that good. I saw her skate when I went to Lake Placid for the 2012 JGP USA.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast