Johnny Weir was just on the Today show | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir was just on the Today show

Johnny Weir just skated on the Today show, on the NBC network. He wore that onesie with the garter belt. Now, who would do that on a morning show with kids watching? I wonder how the producers felt when Johnny showed up in that getup. Wouldn't that be a more suitable costume for a Las Vegas midnight show with Folies Bergere dancers in the background? Not that there's a lot of actual skin showing, but it's a clingy, provocative ensemble that a lot of parents would be uncomfortable seeing on anyone with their kids in the room.

Riemann

Rinkside
Not sure about the inappropriate for children part, but it certainly isn't very classy.

That's the thing that has always bugged me about Weir. He seems to celebrate trashiness. He has more talent than many in the celebrity circles he runs in yet the way he presents himself one would think he is no better than a D-grade reality star.

And I want to be clear that this is not about gender conformity. He could wear women's clothes and not a thing would be wrong with that. But his outfits make him look like a cross between a Rocky Horror reject and a street walker.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like Johnny and love his skating but sometimes his actions make me mad at him. He does things for shock value and I don't think he needs to do that, why??? What his point??? Because of his actions, he may have had the powers to be cancel any skating again.

Yeah, people who do things to provoke a reaction generally annoy me. You never know when they're sincere. They say "night" not because they believe it's night but because someone else said "day." I love Johnny's skating; I just wish he'd let it speak for itself.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Just caught it on youtube. Couldnt find it on NBC ....How come I spend so much money coloring my grey hair and he froasts his?????

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The good news for viewers of the Today show is that the family-friendly Shibutanis taped a segment to air on Christmas morning. :thumbsup:

As for Weir:

Although my general impression is that he is quite media-savvy, I think that in this case, he squandered a precious opportunity to interest potential new fans in his skating. A costume with broader appeal would have been a smarter decision for that reason alone.

I imagine that he believes that his choice of costumes contributes to the artistry of his skating, but the Today show costume prevented me from appreciating his performance. I was pleased to tune in to the live broadcast, but the questions that Olympia and others have raised in this thread immediately started bouncing around in my head too -- to the point of complete distraction. :eek:

I wonder whether personal loyalty/friendship to the designer could be an explanation -- and/or whether Weir even had a financial incentive to wear the costume.
The Today show anchor willingly asked him a question that gave him a chance to plug the cooking show on which he will be appearing.
But in answer to a later question that had nothing whatsoever to do with costuming, Weir shamelessly shoehorned in a plug for the designer too (at least that was how it came across to me). :rolleye:
ETA: A day or two before his Today performance, Weir sent at least one tweet to promote his appearance -- and mentioned the costume designer then too [i.e., found room for the plug within Twitter's 140-character limit ;), although maybe I am overestimating the significance of that].​

ETA:
LOL, does anyone else remember that classic Seinfeld episode in which he is forced to wear a ridiculous pirate shirt with puffy sleeves on the Today show because Kramer promised a favor to a friend (I don't recall the entire premise, but might have been a girlfriend or potential girlfriend?). :laugh:

ETA:
Even if Weir includes similarly eye-popping outfits in his off-ice wardrobe because they reflect his authentic taste, the Today show costume remains illogical to me.
Seems to me that most skaters have no problem performing in costumes that are completely different from what they like to wear in real life.​

Last edited:
Your point about the missed possibility of gaining more fans for skating is a good one. A lot of non-fans think of skating as some weird sport with spangles, and Johnny certainly didn't broaden its appeal with his Rocky Horror Show getup. The funny thing is that his actual skating isn't at all over-the-top. It's very subtle and rather aloof, with clear, precise lines. His costumes get in the way of his skating, in my opinion. He should just wear stark featureless black, like an Aubrey Beardsley painting. It would give him more authority.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
You are talking about this, right: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aCmv7ddhx8 ?

I don't get what's the problem with kids watching, to be honest. Kids do not understand all those intricate aspects of whether it would be appropriate for Las Vegas or not, how they can honestly know, they are kids... For them this is just a guy wearing a weird costume, it's for us, adults, some shocking act (?) or whatever.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think Johnny Weir much cares for the "greater good" as in the whole of skating. Johnny is for Johnny. He's said as much time and again.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I didn't really care for the costume, or the grey hair. But he was as engaging as ever with the interviewer, and I thought his skating looked great, jumps, spins, footwork that really matched the music. I wonder who choreographed.

If you check his Facebook page, you will see that he is attracting fans who have never heard of him. Guess they don't follow figure skating.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I have to agree with Toni. I have nothing against Mr. Weir. But His appearance was all about making money as so many appearances by so many celebrities are. Plug plug plug. But I bet the Shibs dont plug their cook book when they are on......BTW, you an watch quite a few of his appearances on Youtube...he has some interesting outfits.
I don't think Johnny Weir much cares for the "greater good" as in the whole of skating. Johnny is for Johnny. He's said as much time and again.

Last edited by a moderator: