2013 Russian Nationals Men | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2013 Russian Nationals Men

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I've gotta ask, plushyfan, given that Takahashi, Oda, Hanyu and Kozuka have very different styles (Chan is similar to Kozuka stylistically, imo)
Hey, ImaginaryPogue! I answer only to this part ..

I'm not sure that I can explain in english..i hate allude to this thing, but this is the reality (in January i will go to a good english course..:) ) Look at to the all Japanese boys( even Shoma Uno etc.) or Chan, but I can mention Fernanadez( I think because his coach is Orser), Nan Song etc., they are skating in similar style, thanks to the COP. Of course a little bit different, different body type etc., but overall similar. Look at the old great skaters, they had absolute different style. Maybe you don't understand , but we Plushenko's fans don't want to see Plushenko who isn't Plushenko anymore... Who makes similar movements, transitions.. After you will say Plushenko is great?

Amber wrote, who is another member of our forum Plush is just so graceful and balletic and the program is neither too empty nor too busy . ( I believe too much transitions-too much chaos )
And she loves the fact that, with this program, Evgeni really looks different to all the other top skaters, in a very good way. And I deeply agree with her, and many other Fs fans, who aren't in love with COP.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I heard even Kovtun supported sending Menshov in a twitter ...is it true? Trankov says "without exception" so it may be.

Kovtun might prefer Jr Worlds, after all for that matter, where he will likely win & certainly medal.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I heard even Kovtun supported sending Menshov in a twitter ...is it true? Trankov says "without exception" so it may be.

Kovtun might prefer Jr Worlds, after all for that matter, where he will likely win & certainly medal.

Yes, Kovtun sent tweets with the hashtag "#заМеньшова," which translates "To Menshov" People, including Johnny Weir, are using that hashtag to express support for Menshov to be included on the Euros team.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Kovtun would have to train for worlds instead of jr worlds which he could beat all the top competitors but at senior worlds top 10 would be a victory. So jr world medalist or winner top 10 in seniors. If he beats voronOv at euros which I think the Russian fed obviously thinks will happen.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Yes, Kovtun sent tweets with the hashtag "#заМеньшова," which translates "To Menshov"
Well, it's not sticky true at all, or at least taken out of the context. After diva Trankov started this instagram/twitter war, Kovtun replied with the profanity language the meaning of which is "I don't care, go 'f-word' yourself.": WARNING! NSFW (profanity languge): http://instagram.com/p/TyMIn6iBag . After sometime when things got escalated he posted the similar pic "to Menshov" and got replies from supporters that he shouldn't care and should keep training. After that he deleted that instagram stuff as not required anymore and the hashtag in his twit is dead now: http://instagram.com/p/TyZJj3CBV0/ .While his first twit/instagram with profanity language is fine and well. I think his position is quite clear.
Diva Trankov found his field. He was quiet when he got the spot at Euro last season without being a RN medalist because the book allows it. Now technically everything was done by the book too (the bronze unlike gold/silver doesn't give the automatical spot in Team), but he is playing Robin Hood at some else's expense. Very nice. If it were not RusFed with all the support to him as Olympic hope in Sochi, he might have been fined on the disciplinary ground. Where his sport principles were just a couple of weeks ago when he didn't give his GPF gold with prize money to BazLar I wonder. I feel sorry for Tanya who has to deal with this big baby on the regular basis. The said war did nothing good neither to Kostya nor to Kovtun. Menshov is a really nice guy in person, has good sense in cologne and classic male fashion. The lucky girl who he will marry. At RN he skated in new boots because he damaged one of his boots just before the event. It's absolutely the same situation as with BazLar but the pair decided to withdraw because they didn't want to risk Vera in lifts since Yura didn't feel quite fit in new boots. Kostya's situation was partly similar to Liza's- go through the troubles but still skate. Kovtun is getting the hugest 'down payment' from RusFed and I wonder how it will work- either really well or he will join the Borodulin&Gryazev club. In any case this online fuss in a sandbox doesn't work well for both guys. Conclusion. As a Plu fan I look down at the whole twitter/instagram war. Since they are so busy with electronic devices instead of training in gym/rink, it's possible that they all bomb at the events they get assigned to, once again confirming that there is only one male skater in Russian Men field. The one who will go to London, Ontario, to get the second spot for Russia and get his duty less occuppied in Sochi (no need to compete in Team event). :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well, it's not sticky true at all, or at least taken out of the context. After diva Trankov started this instagram/twitter war, Kovtun replied with the profanity language the meaning of which is "I don't care, go 'f-word' yourself.": WARNING! NSFW (profanity languge): http://instagram.com/p/TyMIn6iBag . After sometime when things got escalated he posted the similar pic "to Menshov" and got replies from supporters that he shouldn't care and should keep training. After that he deleted that instagram stuff as not required anymore and the hashtag in his twit is dead now: http://instagram.com/p/TyZJj3CBV0/ .While his first twit/instagram with profanity language is fine and well. I think his position is quite clear.
Diva Trankov found his field. He was quiet when he got the spot at Euro last season without being a RN medalist because the book allows it. Now technically everything was done by the book too (the bronze unlike gold/silver doesn't give the automatical spot in Team), but he is playing Robin Hood at some else's expense. Very nice. If it were not RusFed with all the support to him as Olympic hope in Sochi, he might have been fined on the disciplinary ground. Where his sport principles were just a couple of weeks ago when he didn't give his GPF gold with prize money to BazLar I wonder. I feel sorry for Tanya who has to deal with this big baby on the regular basis. The said war did nothing good neither to Kostya nor to Kovtun. Menshov is a really nice guy in person, has good sense in cologne and classic male fashion. The lucky girl who he will marry. At RN he skated in new boots because he damaged one of his boots just before the event. It's absolutely the same situation as with BazLar but the pair decided to withdraw because they didn't want to risk Vera in lifts since Yura didn't feel quite fit in new boots. Kostya's situation was partly similar to Liza's- go through the troubles but still skate. Kovtun is getting the hugest 'down payment' from RusFed and I wonder how it will work- either really well or he will join the Borodulin&Gryazev club. In any case this online fuss in a sandbox doesn't work well for both guys. Conclusion. As a Plu fan I look down at the whole twitter/instagram war. Since they are so busy with electronic devices instead of training in gym/rink, it's possible that they all bomb at the events they get assigned to, once again confirming that there is only one male skater in Russian Men field. The one who will go to London, Ontario, to get the second spot for Russia and get his duty less occuppied in Sochi (no need to compete in Team event). :cool:

Thanks for clearing that up, Let's Talk. Don't think it's a good idea for Kovtun to do that either, though both are entitled to their opinion.

Though I'm not sure if v/t spot's last year is comparable-- wasn't Trankov injured? And they were the reigning silver world medalists. Kovtun had a great jgp season, but that's not quite the same thing.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Thanks for clearing that up, Let's Talk. Don't think it's a good idea for Kovtun to do that either, though both are entitled to their opinion.

Though I'm not sure if v/t spot's last year is comparable-- wasn't Trankov injured? And they were the reigning silver world medalists. Kovtun had a great jgp season, but that's not quite the same thing.
Kovtun and Trankov got a spot in EC on different grounds. There are two ways when a non-medalist of RN can get a spot in EC: 1. ask for a release from a qualifying round (RN) before RN due to medical or other reasons, like VolTran last season, BazLar this season, etc. 2. by RusFed special decision based on Coaching Council recommendation regarding the 3rd spot, like Kovtun this season. Gold and silver get qualified automatically. Things have been like that for decades, they were not created just now. If Trankov decided to play Robin Hood against the book, he should have done it on their own expense last season, when the same book gave him a EC spot without being a RN medalist. What he did does no good, neither to Kovtun or Menshov or Trankov himself, but to the reputation of RusFed in general. I think they will stick with their original decision regarding Kovtun but whomever they choose will be under really serious pressure in Zagreb.

Kovtun is quite know for his unconventional behavior but in this particular case he was clearly provoked.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Zhenya did well considering he just started training quad 4 days ago
Voronov is meh
Gachinski looks like being dropped by the fed. sad Kovtun does mostly terrible at Nationals but Menhov gets the bronze :clap:
I enjoyed more Petrov and Samarin's FS

Yeah, for 30 years old and just recently having had surgery, Plush acquitted himself amazingly well, especially with his technical content. The artistry was fairly tepid and the fp did not seem cohesive or dynamic or all that exciting. As it stands, I can't see him beating stellar Chan, Hanyu or Takahashi, unless judges go crazy giving Plush reputation points for skating while 30 and still landing difficult jumps (even despite some of the jumps being wonkily landed).

As to the controversy of Kovtun going to Euros over Menshov, I think Menshov should go on the basis of the RN results even though I'm not a fan of Menshov's skating at all. "Meh" is right, but got to give the Mensh kudos for being a hard-working mensch. ;) Looks like Russian fed wants to keep Kovtun in the eyes and minds of ISU judges. Surprising no one is making a peep that Kovtun is also being vaulted over Gachinski (I guess Gachinski was seen as a novelty-like Plush successor when he first came on the scene -- Gachinski certainly seemed to have a lot of potential but I've never been fond of his stiff unpolished way of skating, especially for someone with long limbs that beg for aesthetically pleasing lines and grace on the ice).

Kovtun is clearly a promising up-and-comer, but I think he needs a lot more seasoning. He did not have a good skate -- he obviously has good technique, but IMO he needs to continue working on his presentation skills. His talent and look on the ice are definitely a cut above that of Voronov and Menshov. Still, at this point, in terms of his junior international rivals, I think a top-notch Joshua Farris at full strength is a bit better than Kovtun, and even Jason Brown has a great deal more style, presentation skills and musicality than Kovtun, if not a completely solid 3-axel as yet.

Speaking of style, grace and presentation skills, ITA that Alexander Samarin is a skater to watch out for -- hopefully he matures well and continues to develop a unique style. He already seems to have better artistry than Kovtun. But what's up with the military theme at RN (it's an old-fashioned fs standard). I didn't see a vid posted for Petrov -- eager to see what his skating is like. Last, but not least, I truly enjoyed watching Mikhail Kolyda. Forget about Kolyda's unsuccessful 3-axels, he has lovely lines and great style and presence on the ice. He reminds me a bit of a young Ilia Kulik. Kolyda could give Plush some tips re how to be more graceful and how to fully engage one's upper body while skating. :)

Had to laugh at Tarasova's histrionics whilst Kovtun was skating. Why rush this kid?!

ETA:

I saw Petrov's posted sp. Well, finally does Mishin and team have a viable contender in this youngster who seems to have the jumps and artistic potential along with more flexibility than Gachinski exhibits? Actually Petrov has more of a facial resemblance to Kulik than does Kolyda. Petrov also styled an iconic Johnny Weir-opening pose. Still, right now, I'm more enamored of Kolyda's wonderful movement qualities -- he's surely had dance training in the mold of another Mikhail. ;)

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Yeah, for 30 years old and just recently having had surgery, Plush acquitted himself amazingly well, especially with his technical content. The artistry was fairly tepid and the fp did not seem cohesive or dynamic or all that exciting. As it stands, I can't see him beating stellar Chan, Hanyu or Takahashi, unless judges go crazy giving Plush reputation points for skating while 30 and still landing difficult jumps (even despite some of the jumps being wonkily landed).
This is what is probably going to happen (see Euros 2012, where he received even 8.75 in TR!!)... :bang: And he's probably not going to compete agains Chan, Hanyu, Takahashi, since he's probably not going to Worlds

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Speaking of style, grace and presentation skills, ITA that Alexander Samarin is a skater to watch out for -- hopefully he matures well and continues to develop a unique style. He already seems to have better artistry than Kovtun. But what's up with the military theme at RN (it's an old-fashioned fs standard). I didn't see a vid posted for Petrov -- eager to see what his skating is like. Last, but not least, I truly enjoyed watching Mikhail Kolyda. Forget about Kolyda's unsuccessful 3-axels, he has lovely lines and great style and presence on the ice. He reminds me a bit of a young Ilia Kulik. Kolyda could give Plush some tips re how to be more graceful and how to fully engage one's upper body while skating. :)

I saw Petrov's posted sp. Well, finally does Mishin and team have a viable contender in this youngster who seems to have the jumps and artistic potential along with more flexibility than Gachinski exhibits? Actually Petrov has more of a facial resemblance to Kulik than does Kolyda. Petrov also styled an iconic Johnny Weir-opening pose. Still, right now, I'm more enamored of Kolyda's wonderful movement qualities -- he's surely had dance training in the mold of another Mikhail. ;)

Kolyada has been skating for a while even competed in JGP , terrible jump technique so I don't see him going anywhere
Samarin and Petrov I see more potential, they did good in their JGP season debut medaling , they have the better jumps even Samarin with only 3lz-3t but no 3A yet, his technique in the core landings are solid and they have what you say unique style. of course these are still kids and who knows what will happen but they definitely have more potential in terms of artistry than Kovtun

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Kolyda could give Plush some tips re how to be more graceful and how to fully engage one's upper body while skating.

Plushenko is graceful and elegant on ice.. I really don't know what are you talking about...

deedee1

Record Breaker
I am late to comment on this thread I guess, but finally I have watched R Nats which I previously recorded on my VCR one week ago. Yay!

:bow: to The King Evgeni! Who else in the world can hit all those jumps and skate (almost) clean right after surgery. He seemed to be in so much pain. But this guy does have an iron will! :cool:

I am no fan of Voronov's skating, and his progrmas are so, uh...meh, but I've got to admire what he did lay down with 2 clean performances here. :yes:
Seems Morozov somehow was able to successfully put 'confidence' in Voronov to hold it together under pressure. Did you guys see Nikolai actually were in tears after his performances? Glad to see a very good skater-coach relationship in them. A very good coach for X skater is not always a best coach for every skaters, and not necessarily so, I believe. Kudos to Voronov and his team!

I agree with demarinis: Mikhail is a breath of fresh air! I love his smooth carriage. His programs are un-Russian and he skates really, uh...de-Plushenko. ;) He is still very young. Hope he soon can land big jumps.

So sad for Artur. :cry: Is he injured? He right away took off his skating boots in the kiss & cry.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kurt Browning used to dump his boots the second he sat down in the K&C. I think he wrote about it in his book saying he only wore them for a few minutes all laced up because they were so tight or something like that.

So I wouldn't use it as a sign of injury.

champs

Final Flight
Finally watched some of the Russian Nats performances, I really enjoyed Mikhail Kolyada's skating, something about him reminds me of Dornbush's style but with more of smoothness and with a hint of that "Russian style" that I'm not good at putting into words. Hope he will get difficult jumps under control and will have a success in the future competitions.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Thanks a lot for the imformation, Toni! :) I hope it's not an injury or something.

I really enjoyed Mikhail Kolyada's skating, something about him reminds me of Dornbush's style but with more of smoothness and with a hint of that "Russian style" that I'm not good at putting into words.

Mikhail reminds me of Kulik, actually. I thought he skates like mini-Ilia! Especially in his SP, maybe because of his yellow shirt? ;)