2013 Russian Nationals Ladies | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2013 Russian Nationals Ladies

Irina89

On the Ice
From what I understand in that article...if they are still considering Menshov and Artur for Worlds, does this mean Plusenko has already made up his mind?

patinage_adulte

On the Ice
The decision has been made by RusFed - Kovtun and Gosviani will go to Euros. Gosviani will take part in B-event to get tech minimum, probably in Poland, said Gorshkov. The choice of Kovtun was motivated by the reason that was quite clear from the start- to send him to Worlds to get the second spot for Russia in Sochi. For that he will get a senior start in Euro to present himself to the big world.

http://fsrussia.ru/news/378_ispolkom-ffkkr-unverdil-reshenie-trenerskogo-soveta/

Good News for Nikol Gosviani .. but in Poland it's only junior category ...
so sad to not send her in Bratislava (no russian girls) http://www.slovakskating.org/nyc/2013/CAT002EN.HTM
or Riga (2 russian in senior : Valentina CHERNISHOVA and Julia STARIKOVA)
http://kristalice.lv/Results/Volvo20th/CAT043EN.HTM

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Very happy for Gosviani: before this competition I didn't even know her name, and here she goes to Euros! :agree: But I think that they won't send her to Worlds: surely either Leonova or Makarova... And, I'm happy that the young girls received higher PCS than the old ones, because I really prefer Adelina and Liza's programs, artistically, to Leonova's or Makarova's! But I still don't understand Radionova's PCS: 68 to Adelina and 59 to Lena? :confused:

Macassar88

Medalist
I think it makes sense to send Kovtun. They know that he hasn't attempted a quad sal before and that by Euros, he'll have a better chance at mastering all the new technology.
Also it's better that Kovtun get some experience now before next season.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Can someone translated what Liza, Adelina and Lena said in the post-competition interviews?

skatel80

On the Ice
Congratulations to Liza, I could watch her jump all day :) All of the ladies are so technically proficient at russian nats, its amazing to watch! Ive never seen so many triple triples, Another young lady who caught my eye was Natalia Ogoreltseva, her jumps are beautiful especially her loops in combination (great timing!) she also has a nice skating style. So many good ladies in russia now, just wow :)

lakeside

On the Ice
Well. the Russian Skating Federation did not ask my opinion. ;)But if they had, I would advised them to adopt a system where the athletes earn a berth on the Worlds team by their performances on the ice. Rather than having that honor bestowed upon them by the politics or whim of a Committee. (JMO.)
That’s what most other federations are doing. The JSF is sending Mura to 4CC and the Worlds instead of sending more famous Kozuka or Oda because Mura skated more well at the Japanese Nationals. The USFSA and SC will also send their top 2/top 3 finishers to the Worlds. I was rather shocked and disappointed that the RU is not doing the same thing. :disapp: Poor Menshov, he deserves to be sent to Euros at least.

I don't see why they're always passing over Menshov. He's more consistent than Gachinski ever was and has the technical goods, like a 4-3! Honestly, I don't know much about Kovtun though, I think I watched him once and was rather bored..
Because Menshov’s coach is a nobody while Kovtun’s coach is Tarasova? She’s the queen of politicking you know. ;)

seniorita

Record Breaker
I don't think Plushenko cares about the second spot for Olympics, his is secured, if someone else wants to go they will have to earn it, why exposing himself in front of Hanyu and Co before Sochi to get the second spot?

although I think if Worlds were in Europe like the last three times, he would have gone.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Poor Menshov, is there anything his coach can do :no:

http://rt.com/sport/menshov-kovtun-trankov-revolt-009/
Russian figure skaters revolt against national team’s coaches
Russian figure skaters have openly spoken out against the national team coaching council’s choice of the squad for the 2013 European championships.

­The skaters are outraged by the fact the Konstantin Menshov, who won bronze at the Russian championships in Sochi this week, was left out of the team.

Instead, the coaches gave Maksim Kovtun a chance to compete at the Euros, despite him finishing only fifth in the national selection.

“The coaching council is garbage!!! All the athletes stand by Menshov. Without exception!” Maksim Trankov, newly crowned Russian pairs champion with Tatyana Volosozhar, wrote on his Twitter page.

Menshov is like a male Akiko Suzuki, a late bloomer but getting passed by his Fed :disapp:

Menshov is World ranked 13th, Kovtun is ranked 41: http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsmen.htm
Menshov PB ranking is ranked 12th: http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2012-13/sbtsmto.htm

so underrated by his fed

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Can someone translated what Liza, Adelina and Lena said in the post-competition interviews?

Liza said that she feels very sick and it was her and her team's decision to compete. Her goal at RN was to qualify for Euros, now she is happy with the result and waiting for EC.

Elena said that of course she wanted to skate her best and she thinks she succeeded. She didn't feel nervous, the same as in GPF, she just went to the ice and skated. It was a completely different feeling for her to compete at senoir event, she wanted to check her abilities. Then the interviewer told her that she looks very confident on the ice and very artistic. Lena said that she was into dancing from early childhood, as for her confidence- she smiled and said that probably she was born like that.

Adelina said of course she didn't skate her best but still she is satisfied with her skating more or less because she could barely "collect" her 3lu-3t combo just at 10pm yesterday, and it wasn't super great. Still it's her best skating compared to how she skated at GP, so partly she is satisfied but partly- not. This medal at RN gave her confidence. Now she will be preparing for Euros.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
That’s what most other federations are doing. The JSF is sending Mura to 4CC and the Worlds instead of sending more famous Kozuka or Oda because Mura skated more well at the Japanese Nationals. The USFSA and SC will also send their top 2/top 3 finishers to the Worlds. I was rather shocked and disappointed that the RU is not doing the same thing. :disapp: Poor Menshov, he deserves to be sent to Euros at least.
Not sure what I see more here, either the lack of information or the lame attempt to take a superior position on "Bloody Russia". USFSA forgot the sport priciple when they sent Kwan over the US bronze medalist to Torino. Luckily for the USFSA Kwan withdrew and they escaped the lawsuit from Hughes family. The example with JSF is plain wrong. JSF normally didn't send all medalists to 4CC. That was an applied custom that was excepted this time too. But going the other way JSF actually broke their own rule and made it flexible the way they wanted for this particular event.
Because Menshov’s coach is a nobody while Kovtun’s coach is Tarasova? She’s the queen of politicking you know. ;)
He-he. Suddenly conspiracy theory&politics argument became convenient :laugh:. Well, of course TAT is an authority. So is Mishin. And if RusFed had chosen Gachi, they same people would have been writing exactly the same stuff they write about TAT now. Yawn. :slink:

I think it makes sense to send Kovtun. They know that he hasn't attempted a quad sal before and that by Euros, he'll have a better chance at mastering all the new technology.
Also it's better that Kovtun get some experience now before next season.
In the interview Piseev said that their choice of Kovtun over Menshov based on this season's results: unconsistent in Menshov's case and good results in Junior GP in Kovtun's case. The Cup of Russia Final will take place in February where Menshov, Gachi and Leonova will skate. Then RusFed will make the decision who will go to Worlds based on CoR Final results and Euros.
They actually don't sound that certain. I think if this year were not a pre-Olympic year, or if Russia had 2-3 spots at Worlds instead of one, then I am sure they wouldn't gamble. They would send Menshov piecefully and Kovtun would be skating at Junior Worlds. Now the are gambling. Will see. :popcorn:
http://fcp-press.ru/interview/p2_articleid/6122

FSGMT

Record Breaker
In the interview Piseev said that their choice of Kovtun over Menshov based on this season's results: unconsistent in Menshov's case and good results in Junior GP in Kovtun's case. The Cup of Russia Final will take place in February where Menshov, Gachi and Leonova will skate. Then RusFed will make the decision who will go to Worlds based on CoR Final results and Euros.
Did Gachinski and Leonova skated at the CoR competitions? Or will they be allowed to compete because they have been in the GP?
And, how did the judges dare to give to Leonova's horrible program higher PCS (almost 3 points!!) than Makarova's easier but almost clean program which was a lot better (in my opinion), talking about SS, choreography and interpretation?! :disagree:

Macassar88

Medalist
Did Gachinski and Leonova skated at the CoR competitions? Or will they be allowed to compete because they have been in the GP?
And, how did the judges dare to give to Leonova's horrible program higher PCS (almost 3 points!!) than Makarova's easier but almost clean program which was a lot better (in my opinion), talking about SS, choreography and interpretation?! :disagree:
Well Morozov probably had a kid with two or three of the judges and is using that as leverage for Leonova's scores.

USFSA forgot the sport priciple when they sent Kwan over the US bronze medalist to Torino. Luckily for the USFSA Kwan withdrew and they escaped the lawsuit from Hughes family.

:) No lawsuit. In Kwan's case both precedent and contractual language was followed. (A "dominant athlete" who missed Nationals due to injury, etc.) Interestingly, Michelle probably would have gotten to skate at the 1994 Olympics except for a threatened lawsuit by Tonya Harding.

Plus, the USFSA owed Michelle for bailing them out at 2002 Skate America and other favors. Plus the television networks wanted a Michelle story line. After Michelle withdrew, Sasha Cohen was a guest on Good Morning America and she got mad because all the interviewer wanted to talk about was Michelle's withdrawal instead of Sasha's prospects. ;)

Plus, advertisers like Cola Cola had laid out a bundle for Michelle.

Plus...she was Michelle Kwan. :cool:

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Regarding Menshov -- perhaps they are thinking back to 2011, when he won Russian Nationals. He won Russian Nationals after finishing a dismal 10th at Cup of Russia. Then after winning nationals, he finished a dismal 14th in the SP at 2011 Euros and ended up finishing behind Gachinski, which we know went on to win bronze at Worlds (though to be fair, he did finish 4th in the FS).

But i don't see what is so inconsistent about his results this season: He finished 4th behind the Japanese sweep and beat Jeremy Abbott in Skate America, then had a respectable SP at COR; his FS wasn't as good, but he still ended up 4th again against a tough crowd. He has first and silver in his senior Bs. He hasn't had perfect performances, but he's managed to do well enough for respectable finishes.

I like Kovtun, but he still need a lot of work beyond the jumps. His choreography was a bit ehhh.

LRK

Record Breaker
Well Morozov probably had a kid with two or three of the judges and is using that as leverage for Leonova's scores.

Are you sure that mightn't have the opposite effect? "Hell hath no fury... ", you know? ;)

Icey

Record Breaker
As I recall Michelle was paid quite handsomely for bailing the usfsa out of 2002 Skate America. I don't think there was anything due her with repeat to that.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I feel sorry for Menshov, and although federation said the first two are a lock but the third is not at the beginning of the Championships, I feel Voronov is no more reliable than Menshov- if not less, I have seen his maximum performance ability and really he may have a sort of secured quad but he is not bringing down the arena for sure. Menshov is more charismatic and if skated clean he would have placed higher than Voronov and I feel sorry also for Kovtun that they got him in that situation, this is not a controversy you want for your first Euros.

As I recall Michelle was paid quite handsomely for bailing the usfsa out of 2002 Skate America. I don't think there was anything due her with repeat to that.

Yeah, I think you're right about that. I think it was more the universal unwritten rule of Olympic team selection: If you have a five-time World Champion, send her. :yes: