Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Russian Nationals Ladies

I really don't see how this can do Kovtun any good - the controversy and pressure for Euros, and then, possibly, the maximum amount at Worlds', with only one spot, should he be sent there - a mess that is none of his creation in the first place. I don't know... I can see that they're trying to bet on the younger talent, looking at the future, epecially next year, but I don't know if this is the wisest course?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    Did Gachinski and Leonova skated at the CoR competitions? Or will they be allowed to compete because they have been in the GP?
    No, they didn't compete in Qualifiers. The event will be used as a test skate for them but they won't actually compete or medal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    In Kwan's case both precedent and contractual language was followed.
    Same here. There were a lot of precedents when a bronze medalist didn't get a spot for EC. Technically everything was done by the book because the bronze unlike silver/gold doesn't qive the spot in Team automatically. I think it was quite clear that I was mocking the post I replied on with all this USFSA sport principles and unfair RusFed stuff.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Humor, particularly ironic or sarcastic humor, is particuarly difficult to get across on a message board.

The use of the sarcasm emoticon is useful

The winking guy is also good for this.

Yes USFS from time to time does not send the 3rd place person. But the bitternesses about not sending people to Worlds who earned a spot can persist a long time.

I know I will be bitter about Dornbush going to 4CC's last year for a long, long time.

Banned
    Kovtun is really promising but its not yet his time for seniors, imo
    If cant handle seniors even at Nationals, then you cant expect much from him at International SENIORS where the pressure will be even higher
    I feel sorry for both Menshov and Kovtun

I understand they are trying to spread the wealth but how they are doing it is wrong
    is Kovtun the only potential promising junior ? No, they need to work on that too

Banned
    The Russian Minister of Sport V.Mutko gave the official order to RusFed to revise their decision regrading Team Russia for Europeans. The new executive meeting of RusFed will take place on the first days of 2013: www.allsportinfo.ru/index.php?id=67029

What does Putin think?

Banned
    ^ Well, at least some local folks with cold war mentality just lost their leverage about Bloody Russia.

Putin is practicing his New Year speech I quess.

Custom Title
    The choice of Gosviani seems shortsighted as well. She hasn't competed internationally since 2010, and her 3 outings were all at the Junior and Novice level. So she hasn't achieved the minimum score for Europeans.

The entry deadlines have already passed for the New Years Cup in Bratislava (next week) and the Volvo Cup in Riga, Latvia (1/10-13). If Gosviani doesn't compete in one of them, or if she is allowed to compete but doesn't get the minimum score, she can't go to Euros.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    The choice of Gosviani seems shortsighted as well. She hasn't competed internationally since 2010, and her 3 outings were all at the Junior and Novice level. So she hasn't achieved the minimum score for Europeans.

The entry deadlines have already passed for the New Years Cup in Bratislava (next week) and the Volvo Cup in Riga, Latvia (1/10-13). If Gosviani doesn't compete in one of them, or if she is allowed to compete but doesn't get the minimum score, she can't go to Euros.
    Gorshkov from the start said she will go to Poland. Not Riga or Bratislava.

Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    The Russian Minister of Sport V.Mutko gave the official order to RusFed to revise their decision regrading Team Russia for Europeans. The new executive meeting of RusFed will take place on the first days of 2013: www.allsportinfo.ru/index.php?id=67029

They will maybe give that spot to Menshov, that deserves it? But, please, not Leonova!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let’s talk View Post
    Not sure what I see more here, either the lack of information or the lame attempt to take a superior position on "Bloody Russia". USFSA forgot the sport priciple when they sent Kwan over the US bronze medalist to Torino. Luckily for the USFSA Kwan withdrew and they escaped the lawsuit from Hughes family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Interestingly, Michelle probably would have gotten to skate at the 1994 Olympics except for a threatened lawsuit by Tonya Harding.

Plus, the USFSA owed Michelle for bailing them out at 2002 Skate America and other favors. Plus the television networks wanted a Michelle story line.

I think it was more the universal unwritten rule of Olympic team selection: If you have a five-time World Champion, send her.
    I think it’s funny to compare Kovtun to Michelle. Like Mathman said, the USFSA had better reasons to send Michelle to Torino. Plus, that was Michelle, the five-time World Champion. Think this way: if Plushenko did not compete at RN and the RSU wants to send him to Euros instead of bronze medalist Menshov (or Gachinski or whoever), then it would make sense to me. But who is this Kovtun? I don’t see anything from him showing he’s better than Menshov.

Plus, I’m not taking a superior position on "Bloody Russia.” You see that Russian figure skaters are openly speaking out against the fed sending Kovtun to Euros and then Mutko gave the official order to revise the decision. Do you think the Russian skaters are taking a superior position on “Bloody Russia?”

Kovtun would never get such high PCS scores in international competition because his choreo is meh and he is not a great interpreter of music, either. He skates juniorish because he IS a junior. If he couldn't handle the competition at Nationals, I don't see how he can do so at Euros.

The fine hand of Tatiana Tarasova is behind Kovtun's elevation over skaters who placed higher.
    I agree and wish they’ll revise the decision so Menshov can go to Euros.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    I think it’s funny to compare Kovtun to Michelle. Like Mathman said, the USFSA had better reasons to send Michelle to Torino.
    Why? Your original post claims that USFSA unlike RusFed sends their medalists to 4CC and Worlds, which turned out to be not sticky true. For that you brought TAT political games crap and blah-blah. No need now to use another poster's name as a cover. Quite lame really.
    Think this way: if Plushenko did not compete at RN and the RSU wants to send him to Euros instead of bronze medalist Menshov
    That's incorrect comparison either. If the skater doesn't compete in RN, which is the official qualifier for EC, he/she has to apply with the petition to release him/her from the qualifying round, and give the direct spot for EC, due to medical reasons or others. Then RusFed makes the decision BEFORE RN either "yes" or "no". Like it happened with BazLar this season. So, other competitors know in advance that one spot for EC has been already taken. Therefore they have to finish either 1st or 2nd to make the Team. Your rant about Plu would make sense if Plu competed at RN but finished 4th and got the spot over the bronze guy. But you know what, I have a news for you- it never happened.
    You see that Russian figure skaters are openly speaking out against the fed sending Kovtun to Euros. ... Do you think the Russian skaters are taking a superior position on “Bloody Russia?”
    Russian figure skaters unlike you didn't bring another fs federation as some goddy example of fair play. They are working on applying sport principles stronger. The irony of the situation is that most of those fs skaters were themselves given a spot for EC over another guy while not being a RN medalist themselves, like Leonova over Petushkova for example.

Btw, speaking about "fs openly speaking out". Diva Trankov, the one who initiated the whole fuss twittered that his twitter doesn't exist anymore and thanked media for quoting his twits: https://twitter.com/Trankov_jr/statu...54865300914177

Kids. I hope he will spend more time in the gym and rink now.
    Last edited by let`s talk; 12-29-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Custom Title
    Gorshkov from the start said she will go to Poland. Not Riga or Bratislava.
    The Senior competition at the Mentor Nestle Cup is Pairs and Dance only. The ladies competition is at the Junior and Novice levels. That doesn't show much confidence in Gosviani's ability to compete at the Senior level. And it won't give her any ISU Ranking points. So if she does get the minimum score (harder at the Junior level with fewer elements in the FS), she will be in the early group to skate at Euros which won't help her SP score.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    The Senior competition at the Mentor Nestle Cup is Pairs and Dance only. The ladies competition is at the Junior and Novice levels. That doesn't show much confidence in Gosviani's ability to compete at the Senior level. And it won't give her any ISU Ranking points. So if she does get the minimum score (harder at the Junior level with fewer elements in the FS), she will be in the early group to skate at Euros which won't help her SP score.
    You can't get a Senior minimum score at a Junior competition.

Banned

at least, Im glad they are making revisions
    hopefully they will give the last spot to Menshov

Gosviyani is untested and is also inconistent , I would still choose Leonova even with her bad season at least she has her PCS
    Last edited by sky_fly20; 12-29-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast