1. Moore-Towers/Moskovitch
    2. Duhamel/Radford
    3. Lawrence/Swiegers

Ice Dance:
    1. Virtue/Moir
    2. Gilles/Poirier
    3. Ralph/Hill

Banned
    I find myself laughing at many of the dance predictions. More people have Ralph & Hill over Paul & Islam than have Paul & Islam over Giles & Poirier. Sorry people but the battle this year is between Paul & Islam and Gilles & Poirier, NOT Ralph & Hill and Paul & Islam. Based on their scores this season Paul & Islam will probably have to fall atleast 3 times to ever lose to Ralph & Hill, and their scores indicate they are a major threat to Gilles & Poirier too.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I agree , pangtongfan... Ralph and Hill have to worry about Orford and Williams , who, whether or not people like their programs ( I know some don't ) have really been improving .They've looked more cohesive every time I've seen them this year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I find myself laughing at many of the dance predictions. More people have Ralph & Hill over Paul & Islam than have Paul & Islam over Giles & Poirier. Sorry people but the battle this year is between Paul & Islam and Gilles & Poirier, NOT Ralph & Hill and Paul & Islam. Based on their scores this season Paul & Islam will probably have to fall atleast 3 times to ever lose to Ralph & Hill, and their scores indicate they are a major threat to Gilles & Poirier too.
    Chances are that the reason for those predictions is that P/I only competed in Sr. B events this season, so most people haven't seen them yet. Just for reference, their scores at those competitions were as follows:

US International Classic (2nd Place)

SD: 55.86
    FD: 87.90
    Total: 143.76

Nebelhorn Trophy (5th Place)

SD: 54.50
    FD: 84.78
    Total: 137.92

Ralph/Hill by comparison, were 7th at the Nebelhorn Trophy, and scored 126.60 at Skate Canada (SD: 50.00/ FD: 76.60). Needless to say they're going to have to make a massive improvement to challenge P/I at nationals. Also worthwhile to keep in mind that R/H beat P/I by very little last year, and P/I were battling multiple injuries at the time. Anything can happen, but I'd say the battle for silver and bronze is going to be G/P vs. P/I (remember G/P scored 136.74 at Skate Canada and beat P/I by a point or two at the US Classic, so they've been neck and neck all season.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    I agree , pangtongfan... Ralph and Hill have to worry about Orford and Williams , who, whether or not people like their programs ( I know some don't ) have really been improving .They've looked more cohesive every time I've seen them this year.
    O/W were already neck in neck last year with P/I and R/H. I think people might get surprised by how well they will do.
    I see not a clear favorite for the medals, other than gold. From second to fifth, anything could happen.
    Last edited by herios; 01-09-2013 at 01:23 AM.

It's unfortunate that whoever finishes in 5th place might be left off the National team, unless they decide to have 6 teams on the National team like they did the year V&M were injured (including Weaver and Poje).

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    /\ Anything else would be most unfair.

... It should be that anything could happen from 2- 6 . I just worry that , beginning at last year's championships, SC has already been piling eggs into the G/P basket .

ETA: With Dube/Wolfe out , will someone else draw in and if so who ?

I don't like these really small fields in pairs and dance ...but I'm glad they're too small to split , since SC is still doing that with Men's and Women's competition.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 01-09-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Custom Title
    I might be wrong but I don't think there are any more Canadian senior dance or pairs teams...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    I don't like these really small fields in pairs and dance
    True, but I'm not sure how to interpret it. It seems that the "journeymen" seniors are not competing. That's sad in a way, but they would not have had international opportunities. In the past, when there were three flights in senior dance, the skaters in the first flight never moved up much, and few of the second flight skaters ever moved up into real contention, because the top juniors were always better skaters and overtook them immediately upon moving to senior. So those first flight dancers (positions 11-15, say) were seniors who simply enjoyed competing, I suppose, which is great if they can afford it and love the sport, but it's depth and quality at the junior and novice levels that feeds the national team. It would be nice to see more teams out there, though - it adds to the richness of the event.

Custom Title
    Canada has 3 slots for Men at London Worlds, right? Then my prediction/dream podium is:
    1. Patrick Chan
    2. Kevin Reynolds
    3. Elladj Balde

However, the skater I will be rooting the most at this competition in particular is Sandhu!
    Go Eman!!!

Custom Title
    So it seems looking at the thread that everyone is expecting the same winners - Chan, Osmond, V/M, and D/R. Chan and V/M will win by landslides as usual. Is Osmond and D/R at that level as well? will there be really any competition for the top of the podiums?

Custom Title
    I think there is definitely competition in pairs. D/R will have to deliver their elements. (We saw what happened to M-T/M last year, unfortunately.) If M-T/M really bring it and D/R falter, M-T/M could take the title. Osmond has been skating really well, she should be able to win, but she's so young - you never know when nerves can be a factor. Hopefully everyone can bring their best on the day.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by callalily View Post
    I think there is definitely competition in pairs. D/R will have to deliver their elements. (We saw what happened to M-T/M last year, unfortunately.) If M-T/M really bring it and D/R falter, M-T/M could take the title. Osmond has been skating really well, she should be able to win, but she's so young - you never know when nerves can be a factor. Hopefully everyone can bring their best on the day.
    That is a good scenario, if (big if) everyone skates their best, who wins ladies/pairs? Can Lacoste catch Osmond? Can D/R stay ahead of M-T/M?

Custom Title
    Right now IMO, D/R's "best" would slightly beat M-T/M's "best", and Osmond's best would beat Lacoste's. (But it's rare for everyone to skate their best.) The D/R vs M-T/M rivalry is more interesting to me, because I think both teams have room to grow and improve, and D/R's dominance is not assured. Amelie, unfortunately, is unlikely to make drastic improvements at this stage in her career.

Rinkside
    Contrary to those who think that Amelie will end off the podium for sure, I think the make-up of the ladies national team will be interesting. I think Osmond will be hard to beat if there aren't nerves for her, now that she is considered the favourite - will be interesting to see how she deals with that. However, 2nd to 5th will be a dog fight, if you take into account the contenders' recent results:
    Daleman at Challenge: SP - 51.63; LP - 101.86 Total=153.49
    Seguin at Challenge: SP - 53.37; LP - 103.65 Total=157.02
    Chartrand at Challenge: SP - 50.25; LP - 98.48 Total=148.73
    Lacoste at Skate Canada: SP - 53.81; LP - 97.63 Total=151.44

Hope they all skate up to the challenge....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast